Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When did you start to see battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought all of NRMA's chargers were limited to 95%?

Originally yes, but some have been "unlocked" to go to 100%.
Mudgee definitely is unlocked for 100%.

1638923785738.png

Over time, I have also charged over 95% at Berry [Apr-2021], Jugiong [Jun-2021], Port Macquarie [Nov-2021]

Edit: I pretty sure you know this, but you do need to press the 100% button on the charging unit.

Teslafi noted a 25KM drop off early October. Then late November I did a 1,000KM trip and it jumped back up.
I think the jump back up was around the time I charged to 100% on the Mudgee NRMA charger.
It's pretty clear that the "estimated range at 100%" can't be taken directly as degradation, because as you noted it jumps up as well as down, and batteries don't un-degrade. A 100% charge is when a cell balance happens, which is probably what let your BMS get a better read on the true battery status.

It's the peaks you want to look at I think.

Reactions: Anubis
446km is more than 10% as the car starts with higher than rated range before you see degradation. 445km is i think 68kwh which is around 14%.
Actually mine now has supposedly has 69.3kwh when full and started off with 77.8kwh, so that would be a 10.9% loss according to Scan my Tesla which matches closely with Teslafi which reports it at 10.3%.
Also again, I find it interesting that you also have such heavy degradation in Melbourne which is while hot compared to europe really not that hot in general for EVs.
I live down in the coast in Victoria where is no hot by any means. Average temp while driving my car has been 16.8 C and 72.2kmh. I don't see heat or environmental conditions as a culprit for me. Hopefully things will stabilise from now on and the capacity stays where it is.

A 100% charge is when a cell balance happens
Considering may people with the older batteries (like mine) will never charge to 100% or only do so one or twice in the car's life, the car's range estimate must necessarily be pretty approximate. Either that or they rebalance more often somehow.

But looking at the energy meter and back-calculating from the Wh/km over 50km vs. how many km you have actually done, you might be able to get an idea of how the batteries are travelling.

It's pretty clear that the "estimated range at 100%" can't be taken directly as degradation, because as you noted it jumps up as well as down, and batteries don't un-degrade. A 100% charge is when a cell balance happens, which is probably what let your BMS get a better read on the true battery status.

It's the peaks you want to look at I think.

the estimate is very accurate. this makes sense because the BMS is not gonna let you take more energy than it thinks the battery can hold.

My wife has taken Slartibartfast to Melbourne (am I jealous? YOU BET I AM JEALOUS)

Slartibartfast is back from Melbourne! Two stops on the way home, one in Wodonga and one in Gundagai. The battery has been fully exercised from full to almost empty, she made it home with 9km range remaining, the lowest it’s ever been taken:

949978DD-C303-4826-864E-D14D98EE2DF2.jpeg

So if there was any battery cell balancing to be done, I reckon it has been done in this trip and the BMS will be recalibrated after months of lockdown non-driving and battery sitting at 50%.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
…So if there was any battery cell balancing to be done, I reckon it has been done in this trip and the BMS will be recalibrated after months of lockdown non-driving and battery sitting at 50%.
Could be. I read somewhere in the master threads that you need to leave the m3 battery disconnected from charge for something like 3 to 6 hours for the cells to be able to be balanced. Something to do with the cell technology used. Driving then placing it straight back on charge prevents the process.

Could be. I read somewhere in the master threads that you need to leave the m3 battery disconnected from charge for something like 3 to 6 hours for the cells to be able to be balanced. Something to do with the cell technology used. Driving then placing it straight back on charge prevents the process.

Sometimes my car spends a week without being plugged in, so perhaps I never have any cell balancing issues.

Now that Slartibartfast has had a few decent leg-stretches over the last couple of months and Christmas/NY, and a number of fast and slow charging sessions, the car now shows 488 km fully charged. It was as low as 465 km a few months ago after spending lockdown in the garage doing not very much.

Very noice for a 2 year old car.