Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When is 2022 Model 3 releasing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an Accord Hybrid, which is obviously not a sports car but I’d say that not only is it a super smooth drive, it’s also quieter unless I am rapidly accelerating.
The Accord is considered a fairly quiet and smooth ride, so I can see you feeling the Model 3 being a bit more aggressive in both handling and acceleration.
Two totally different cars though,

not to get too far off topic

Reactions: Scarletfever
The Accord is considered a fairly quiet and smooth ride, so I can see you feeling the Model 3 being a bit more aggressive in both handling and acceleration.
Two totally different cars though,

not to get too far off topic
Yeah, I guess my main point was that I’d like some mode, whether it’s via adaptable suspension or one time configuration when ordering, to make this car feel more like a family car/daily driver for commutes. When weaving in and out of traffic at 80mph on the freeway I’m sure it feels amazing. When driving 30mph to the grocery store I don’t want to get carsick.

Reactions: tangible1
Yeah, I guess my main point was that I’d like some mode, whether it’s via adaptable suspension or one time configuration when ordering, to make this car feel more like a family car/daily driver for commutes. When weaving in and out of traffic at 80mph on the freeway I’m sure it feels amazing. When driving 30mph to the grocery store I don’t want to get carsick.

There is no mode for that on this car. Its impossible to make everyone happy with suspension, from the factory. One persons "bobblehead stiff" is another persons "sporty suspension". One persons "comfortable" is another persons "completely mushy".

If you want a model 3 and want "softer" you will need to put an after market suspension on it. The suspension is perfectly fine to me, for "daily driving 30 MPH to the grocery store" on my model 3 performance, for example, but I am coming from almost 2 decades of leasing BMW 3 series with either the static sport suspension, or the adaptive suspension that I always put in sport mode unless I needed to take my mom to a doctors appointment or something.

My wifes X3 has an adjustable suspension, which, the second I get in that car to drive it, I swap to sports mode, because otherwise, (to me) its mushy and feels like I have no control at all. I also am not racing around everywhere, just cruising, I just dont like the feeling of disconnectedness you get from what to me is "mushy".

It's weird that Tesla is one of the only automakers in the world producing cars with proper wishbone/multilink suspensions while the cheap imports like Porsche, Yugo, Audi, and BMW just slap in some cheap MacPherson struts and call it "Fahrvergnügen". Yet so many people seem to complain that the Tesla suspension is too firm and too soft on every model from the Roadster to the X.

Is it common for people to complain about the suspension of every car being too soft and too firm at the same time? Is this just a car forum thing? I haven't seen it before so I'm wondering if maybe it's the result of Tesla's higher tire pressures producing more NVH? Or perhaps the wishbone suspension inherently transmits more NVH than MacPherson so some people detect that harshness while others detect the softer handling that Tesla incorporated to reduce the harshness?

Lexus and Mercedes use suspensions similar to Tesla and don't seem to have the same type of conflicting complaints.

Reactions: Gasaraki
It's weird that Tesla is one of the only automakers in the world producing cars with proper wishbone/multilink suspensions while the cheap imports like Porsche, Yugo, Audi, and BMW just slap in some cheap MacPherson struts and call it "Fahrvergnügen". Yet so many people seem to complain that the Tesla suspension is too firm and too soft on every model from the Roadster to the X.

Is it common for people to complain about the suspension of every car being too soft and too firm at the same time? Is this just a car forum thing? I haven't seen it before so I'm wondering if maybe it's the result of Tesla's higher tire pressures producing more NVH? Or perhaps the wishbone suspension inherently transmits more NVH than MacPherson so some people detect that harshness while others detect the softer handling that Tesla incorporated to reduce the harshness?

Lexus and Mercedes use suspensions similar to Tesla and don't seem to have the same type of conflicting complaints.

i think the population of tesla owners are more diverse than a lexus or a MB owner... this might be why there is so much variance

There is no mode for that on this car. Its impossible to make everyone happy with suspension, from the factory. One persons "bobblehead stiff" is another persons "sporty suspension". One persons "comfortable" is another persons "completely mushy".

If you want a model 3 and want "softer" you will need to put an after market suspension on it. The suspension is perfectly fine to me, for "daily driving 30 MPH to the grocery store" on my model 3 performance, for example, but I am coming from almost 2 decades of leasing BMW 3 series with either the static sport suspension, or the adaptive suspension that I always put in sport mode unless I needed to take my mom to a doctors appointment or something.

My wifes X3 has an adjustable suspension, which, the second I get in that car to drive it, I swap to sports mode, because otherwise, (to me) its mushy and feels like I have no control at all. I also am not racing around everywhere, just cruising, I just dont like the feeling of disconnectedness you get from what to me is "mushy".
Isn’t feeling disconnected/mushy more related to the steering than the suspension?

I thought Lexus was one of the cushiest cars you can buy, at least the 350. And the common consensus I’ve seen online is that a C class is way more comfortable than a model 3.

Isn’t feeling disconnected/mushy more related to the steering than the suspension?

I thought Lexus was one of the cushiest cars you can buy, at least the 350. And the common consensus I’ve seen online is that a C class is way more comfortable than a model 3.

If you prefer, insert the word "floaty" where I said "disconnected.

So much of the range argument seems to ignore the fact of geography. On the East Coast you simply don't need 450 - 500 miles of range. Out here in the West, you do.
Not saying I disagree, but wanted to comment.

I just got back from a R/T between Orange County, CA and the Bay area in my SR+. Between the trip and side quests, we logged about 1,000 miles. I found that the 150-175 miles between charges just about right for my body and my sanity. The only difference a longer range vehicle would give me is a higher arriving SOC and shorter charge cycle. But many of the stops were extended by other activities (meals - Harris Ranch is pretty awesome) and even if they weren't, the stop time always seemed to be just about right.

Granted. this was a vacation trip so time was not a critical factor for us.

My car prior to my 3 was a Lexus IS350 (with the sport package)- and I didn't find the ride in the 3 any harsher than the Lexus once I adjusted the pressure down nearer to what the Lexus ran (still a couple psi higher)

Not saying I disagree, but wanted to comment.

I just got back from a R/T between Orange County, CA and the Bay area in my SR+.

When I hear "out west" for distance driving the LA to SF area of CA is the last place I'd think of, FWIW.

Pretty fair amounts of Nevada, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, the Dakotas, Nebraska, etc.. where if you're not sticking to one or two major highways there's still pretty decent sized gaps in the supercharger network.... (and many of those states get significantly colder winters, thus less range in an EV, than you'll ever see in the OC or even the Bay area)