Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When people say don’t leave your battery at 100% or under 10% for long periods of time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now 80% is bad too? Since when

The real truth is that at mild ambient temperatures the difference between 70, 80, 90, or even 100% is almost completely negligible.

IMG_9036.jpeg

Want to minimize calendar aging? Store under ~55%.

The real truth is that at mild ambient temperatures the difference between 70, 80, 90, or even 100% is almost completely negligible.

Want to minimize calendar aging? Store under ~55%.
I’ve got a software limited RWD so I set my daily charge limit at 60% (which is just about 55% of the actual battery pack). I drive around until I reach 20% (where I can’t run remote A/C or sentry) and then charge back up to 60% (which is every 2 - 3 days). If I need more range, I schedule the charge to complete when I am going to depart so that I don’t remain above 60% for any amount of time

I set mine to 60% charge with a depart time of 20 min before I leave the house for daily commute. When I return it's at roughly 45% till it charges again the next morning. Weekends, it gets the same charge but sits longer of course.

I've never charged to 100% and on the rare times that I do charge to 80 or 90, I let it sit and sleep for hours to recalibrate. Same goes for if I ever let it drop to say... 25%. It's rare to have it that low, so I let it sleep and calibrate off it.

It became a curse when I started learning about Li-Ion batteries... everything in my house that needs storage I started shooting for 50-80% SoC on. Milwaukee tool batteries, Ego lawn equipment batteries... it's a nightmare keeping track of all of this! :p
Nice thing about the Ego batteries is that if they sit long enough without being used (i.e. over the winter for me) they automatically drain power to get the battery level below 50% so that they are sitting at a high state of charge.

With respect to LFP batteries, Tesla recommends charging tio 100% at least once a week. Note that “at least” does not mean daily. Using 80% for the rest of the week is best.
Yet that’s not actually what they say. The recommendation in the app is to “keep the charge limit at 100% and charge fully once per week.”

Which is admittedly frustratingly ambiguous.

IMG_0183.jpeg

Reactions: David99 and mborkow
Yet that’s not actually what they say. The recommendation in the app is to “keep the charge limit at 100% and charge fully once per week.”

LOL, what did you expect? The battery pros out there are the ones who have stated that charging the HV battery to 100% all the time is not a good idea, at least not from a maximum battery life perspective. Also, the reason Tesla recommends charging to 100% once per week seems to have more to do with BMS calibration than battery life.

Tesla’s on screen suggestion to keep the limit set to 100% is likely just self-serving to ensure maximum range and reduce customer complaints. 😉

Anyway, that is my take on it, FWIW.

I’ve got a software limited RWD so I set my daily charge limit at 60% (which is just about 55% of the actual battery pack). I drive around until I reach 20% (where I can’t run remote A/C or sentry) and then charge back up to 60% (which is every 2 - 3 days). If I need more range, I schedule the charge to complete when I am going to depart so that I don’t remain above 60% for any amount of time
Shallow cycles are better for the battery. Don’t increase your depth of discharge to lower the average state of charge.

Reactions: mborkow

Which is admittedly frustratingly ambiguous.
I don't think it's that confusing.
There are two statements. #1, leave it at 100% means you can charge it to 100% without any worries all the time.
#2 'charge to 100% once a week' means do charge it once a week to full. Many people don't charge every day, especially if they don't have a home charger. The might only top off while running errands but don't charge all the way up. Because the voltage curve is so flat with LFP cells, the BMS needs a 100% capacity reference more often.

So one statement tells us that you can always charge LPFs to 100%. The other statement is for charging habits. Don't just top off a bit, but let it go to 100% once a week.