Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When people say don’t leave your battery at 100% or under 10% for long periods of time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say an hour. If you feel you need 100% battery for a journey, try to time it so that you're leaving as close to when it's done as possible.

The way I've accomplished that in the past at home and hotels is to set it to 90% when I go to bed, and first thing when I wake up I smack it over to 100% to resume charging while I get ready and load the vehicle.

I'd say an hour. If you feel you need 100% battery for a journey, try to time it so that you're leaving as close to when it's done as possible.

The way I've accomplished that in the past at home and hotels is to set it to 90% when I go to bed, and first thing when I wake up I smack it over to 100% to resume charging while I get ready and load the vehicle.
Exactly what I do!

100% for an hour is fine. 100% for 12 hours is fine. Days...weeks... is what the battery doesn't like. This is part of the reason that Nissan Leaf batteries experienced a lot of degradation, most of them do not have any way to limit the SoC, so they constantly sit at 100% if the owner doesn't drive much.

Same goes for sub-10% SoCs. Not gonna hurt anything if you're road-tripping and going that low regularly, but parking the car for a week at 7% isn't ideal.

this goes with all Rechargeable Batteries-even the cell phones, lap tops etc.
It became a curse when I started learning about Li-Ion batteries... everything in my house that needs storage I started shooting for 50-80% SoC on. Milwaukee tool batteries, Ego lawn equipment batteries... it's a nightmare keeping track of all of this! :p

As little time as possible, but don't sweat it.
If you don't need it, don't charge to 100%.
If you need it, ideally top up so you hit 100% just before you leave.
But if that's not practical (low charging power, for example) and you charge the night before, not a big deal.

If LFP, different rules apply.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I don't charge to 100% for a road trip, I did it once and didn't like the lack of regen. 95% gives you some regen (almost normal, IME) and doesn't make a difference in where and when you'll stop to recharge. And I typically do as others have noted, charge to 90% overnight then do the extra 5% before I leave (which usually takes 30 minutes or so with my 240v outlet).

If you know roughly when you want to be ready to go, when at a hotel, what I do is charge as much as it will before I go to sleep -- usually you might get up to 50% or so. Before going to sleep, set it to the max you want -- 95% or even 100% and tell the car to schedule. You must tell it both to schedule preconditioning for your departure time, and also tell it to schedule charging as well, which means setting a fake time for when off-peak ends, after your departure. The interface is somewhat complex, would be nice to just have to enter the time and have it do the rest. It's a bit easier if you don't care about the early night charging, though you need to get the car over 20% if you want to be able to turn on sentry or heating etc. (Stupid because there is no reason for the 20% threshold when plugged in.)

But anyway, your car will then hit that peak at the time you set, and if you leave not that long after, you will leave in a warm car and warm battery and the battery will not have sat at high SoC for very long.

I charge almost always at home, generally to 80% unless I have a longer trip that day.

I've heard you should occasionally charge to 100% in order to let the battery management system (BMS) balance the cell voltages (or groups of cells). Any comments if this is a good idea, and if so, how often? I don't see this mentioned in the manual, but have read about it at other places.

I charge almost always at home, generally to 80% unless I have a longer trip that day.

I've heard you should occasionally charge to 100% in order to let the battery management system (BMS) balance the cell voltages (or groups of cells). Any comments if this is a good idea, and if so, how often? I don't see this mentioned in the manual, but have read about it at other places.
Not great advice…only the LFP needs to be charged to 100% for it to determine its charge state and to avoid calendar aging you want to be closer to 55%. Charging daily to 80%, if you don’t need that range, is putting unnecessary wear and tear on your battery.

Not great advice…only the LFP needs to be charged to 100% for it to determine its charge state and to avoid calendar aging you want to be closer to 55%. Charging daily to 80%, if you don’t need that range, is putting unnecessary wear and tear on your battery.
Now 80% is bad too? Since when

Tesla even recommends to leave it plugged up when you aren’t using it which means you would be charging every day

Also I was able to get 240wh/mile today since I put more air in my tire

If your Model Y has the LFP battery (probably not), charging to 100% is fine and in fact recommended.

LFP batteries are still lithium, and charging to 100% still stresses the cells. It's recommended because without doing it, Tesla's BMS can't measure the capacity.

It's not a good thing to charge to 100%, it's a necessary evil.

Now 80% is bad too? Since when

Always. Lower is better.

Reactions: GtiMart and mborkow
If you need the range that 80% provides, then charge it to 80%…but if you don’t (I don’t so I keep it under 60%) then the lower the better…the only niggle is that at 20% Tesla takes away some (remote) functionality. I should Tweet at Elon and ask him why his nanny-state engineers won’t let me do what I want with my 20%! If not for that loss of function at 20%, I’d live from 55% - 5%…and charge a little less frequently.

Reactions: father_of_6
If you need the range that 80% provides, then charge it to 80%…but if you don’t (I don’t so I keep it under 60%) then the lower the better…the only niggle is that at 20% Tesla takes away some (remote) functionality. I should Tweet at Elon and ask him why his nanny-state engineers won’t let me do what I want with my 20%! If not for that loss of function at 20%, I’d live from 55% - 5%…and charge a little less frequently.
I use 30% a day so I go from 80% to 50% by the end of the day, I like having the extra for emergencies even if I don’t normally need it