Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to rotate tires? @annual inspection/12,500 or sooner? Who is doing it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my tires rotated when I brought the car in for warranty service (replace 12V battery) for the first time last week. I do not have the service plan and was charged for 1/2 hour of labor ($75!). Think I'll do it myself next time or bring it to a local shop! I have a hard time believing it took 30 minutes to rotate the tires!

The guys in White Plains charged me for pairing the TPMS sensor on my winters. 1/2 hour of labor ... $62.50. Service certainly isn't free and I don't have the option of prepurchasing a service plan.

Unless you have thrown a weight or there is some problem with the tire, they shouldn't need balancing.

That doesn't agree with my experience. I had a 2000 Avalon with Michelin tires which were very sensitive to balance. That Avalon was well known for being excessively softly sprung and light damping. Two of my 4 original tires balanced differently on a road-force balancer than on a simple spin balancer. The road-force balance was correct. The tires were balanced fine from the factory but bad by 5,000 miles and it took until 10,000 to learn about road-force balancers. That balance lasted the life of the tires to 40,000 only because I wasn't interested in throwing more money at tires for the last few miles of their life.

I find a rebalance at 5,000 miles always moves weights and changes size of weights. But agree once the tire has taken a set (broken in) one more balance can last the rest of the tire's life.

Unless you have thrown a weight or there is some problem with the tire, they shouldn't need balancing.

Actually tires can go out of balance simply due to wear. The Roadster is very sensitive to front tire balance (probably because of the very direct manual steering) and I usually get my fronts balanced whenever I change the rears (which need changing 3X as often as the fronts).

I find a rebalance at 5,000 miles always moves weights and changes size of weights. But agree once the tire has taken a set (broken in) one more balance can last the rest of the tire's life.

Agreed that some cars a very sensitive and balancing is required more often. However, needing a balance after 5000 miles sounds like the tire wasn't actually seated properly and the set you're referring to is really just the tire seating. The steps to properly mount a tire are:

1. Lubricate the tire and wheel with approved lubricant.

2. Center the tire on the safety ledge.

3. Inflate to "pop" the bead. This shouldn't require high pressure.

4. Once "popped" inflate to the maximum sidewall pressure.

5. Deflate to zero.

6. Inflate back to the maximum inflation pressure and then reduce to the operating pressure.

7. Check the guide rib for concentricity.

Agreed that some cars a very sensitive and balancing is required more often. However, needing a balance after 5000 miles sounds like the tire wasn't actually seated properly and the set you're referring to is really just the tire seating. The steps to properly mount a tire are:

Out of balance at 200 miles I would agree. But when it takes thousands of miles it is due to the tire carcass aging and taking its final shape, or wear. In the case of my Toyota Avalon the tires in question were factory mounted when the car was built.

Question on front/rear rotation of 19" wheels. I am hitting 5,000 miles and checked my tread depth, already showing only 4-5/32 on the rear, 8-9/32 on the front. I was thinking I could rotate rear to front, but then I saw in the safety manual that the 19" wheels are actually 8" wide in front, and 9" wide in the rear (though the tires are all the same width). The 21" wheels are all identical. Does the difference in 19" width mean I cannot rotate the rears to the front? And by extension I will just need to replace the rears twice as often?
The 19" front/rear wheels are identical. Here is an excerpt from the owner's manual:

10587777015_21b67ab8e2.jpg

Factory mounted doesn't mean a whole lot. I know, I've watched :)

When I worked at a tire shop a guy showed up one day in a Ford with no valve stems. Tires were shot, under inflated. Asked why he didn't put air in his tires he replied he thought modern tires must not need inflation because his new car didn't have valve stems. And he didn't. Apparently the tire machine at the factory can blow enough air around the rim when mounting to inflate the tire. And monkeys on the assembly line didn't care enough to put wheels aside which didn't have valve stems. We drilled new holes to deflate the tires, install valve stems, and new tires.

I've had to try and locate a number of factory-mismounted tires.

NTB popped the tires loose on the rim and rotated on hope the problem was out of round rim and out of round tire adding up to more problem. The problem was the tires changed balance since new and would no longer balance. Simple spin on the machine said they were perfect. Butt in seat at 70 MPH said they were not. But they were fine when they were new. And they were fine after I found a shop with a road-force balancer.

The Avalon was much more sensitive to tire balance than any other vehicle I have owned. But it still holds true with my experience that tire balance changes over the life of the tire. Even with my 2008 F-250 4WD wearing load range E tires.

My best recommendation is to rotate every 3K to 4K miles for the first 15k miles the new tires are on the car, and then every 5K to 6K after that. Tires are more likely to develop any "bad habits" when they are close to full tread depth, so once there are around 15k miles or more then you can ease off a little. Front Wheel drive cars will benefit more from an "aggressive" rotation schedule like this !

If you do your rotations yourself (or want to keep independent records), download our Tire Service / Maintenance Log sheet, and be sure to read our Tech article as well !

> a guy showed up one day in a Ford with no valve stems. [N4HHE]

So factory supplying rims to Ford assembly plant forgot to drill valve stem holes on more than one rim such that assy line workers developed a work-around by bead-blasting enough air into tire that allowed it to pass thru the plant and be delivered to dealerships. Wow, job done!! :biggrin:
--

The new manual in 5.8 says to rotate tires every 5k a bunch of times from different menus. I say it like that because I felt like they were making sure to get their point across about the 21" tires.

I thought they had previously recommended at every service interval (12k miles ) or very half service (every 6000 miles). In either case, every 5k miles is a new recommendation from tesla. I suspect they changed this to 5k since that's pretty much when the people that have 21" tires need to replace theirs every 5k. Last time I was at a service center they said they were having to tow a lot of cars in (one was even being towed in while I was there) because they were going flat as people were driving them way past their 5k lifetime.