Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When was USS removed from MS production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the removal of USS from the S/X happened around the same time HW4 was introduced, so if the car has HW4 it most likely does not have USS. If you find a used 2023 that you’re interested in, you‘ll need to ask the seller to be certain. If you want to make sure you get USS, look at a 2022 model instead.

Well, if one is looking at used inventory from Tesla, it will not say, nor show the detail required to decide, if the car has USS or not.

If it were a private seller, I'd just ask for some pics of the bumpers of course.

And to answer @Silicon Desert 's question: I don't want a car without USS. All I hear are complaints from people w/o USS when parking in tight spaces, etc., and the improvements HW4 offers aren't of interest to me currently / yet. I have (obviously) USS on my 2017 S75, and appreciate them often.

I may not even buy another Model S, but it is in consideration. So I was just trying to educate myself.

I kinda thought USS was removed at some point in 2022. If it was solidly within 2023, then it's easy enough to just look at '21-'22 models.

Thanks!

USS was removed from the 3 and Y in 2022, but in 2023 for the S and X.
To further clarify, Model 3/Y lost USS in fall of calendar year 2022 with start of 2023 model year production. Model S/X lost USS in spring of 2023 in the middle of 2023 model year production.

So all 2022 model year and older Teslas should have USS. All 2023 3/Y do not have USS. Early 2023 S/X may still have USS but later production 2023 S/X may not.

Reactions: morbidz
And to answer @Silicon Desert 's question: I don't want a car without USS. All I hear are complaints from people w/o USS when parking in tight spaces, etc., and the improvements HW4 offers aren't of interest to me currently / yet. I have (obviously) USS on my 2017 S75, and appreciate them often.
Thanks for your reason. I understand folks that may not want a car without USS. For me, I drove decades and hundreds of thousands of miles without such features on a car, so it isn't important to me that it exists or not. Maybe I haven't paid a lot of attention, but I haven't noticed any difference in my 2017 X with USS vs the new model Y without it. I guess I am just too old school and happy about it :)

Reactions: Yelobird
Thanks for your reason. I understand folks that may not want a car without USS. For me, I drove decades and hundreds of thousands of miles without such features on a car, so it isn't important to me that it exists or not. Maybe I haven't paid a lot of attention, but I haven't noticed any difference in my 2017 X with USS vs the new model Y without it. I guess I am just too old school and happy about it :)
You would only notice the lack of USS when parking near obstacles. Park Assist doesn’t yet work as well without USS as it did with USS. It makes no difference for regular driving.

Reactions: seenhear
You would only notice the lack of USS when parking near obstacles. Park Assist doesn’t yet work as well without USS as it did with USS. It makes no difference for regular driving.
thanks to clarify. I realize it is not used for regular driving. I guess I haven't noticed the difference between our two cars with and without USS is because I don't use park assist. I use my brain instead. :)

Reactions: Yelobird
I believe it was around March 2023? Just get close up pictures of the bumpers and look for the little circle USS sensors.
Dang it, i was so tempted with the lowered prices for the S, I feared that they would have removed USS and you just confirmed it :(

I have a 2023 M3 and it does not have USS, which in regular driving is not an issue but parking close spaces you can definitely feel it over correcting. The other big issue is that Summon, Smart Summon and auto parking is not supported currently for vehicles without USS. Which while not end of the world certainly sucks.

I drove for over 30 years without Autopilot, too. That doesn't mean I'd be happy to have a Tesla that doesn't have it. I like the new features, and removing USS broke some of them.

I'm very tall, and have a much better view than many people when maneuvering a car in tight spaces. I also have a good mind for picturing and understanding 3d spaces and motion of objects in 3d. It's part of my job. I'm pretty good at it. I have no problem "using my brain" to park.

But I'm not the only one who drives my car. And even if I were, like I said I enjoy the tech and features. Sometimes I enjoy even seeing how the USS is wrong or what it reads incorrectly vs. correctly, just because I find it interesting.

But you do you and keep "using your brain" as if the rest of us don't.

I drove for over 30 years without Autopilot, too. That doesn't mean I'd be happy to have a Tesla that doesn't have it. I like the new features, and removing USS broke some of them.

I'm very tall, and have a much better view than many people when maneuvering a car in tight spaces. I also have a good mind for picturing and understanding 3d spaces and motion of objects in 3d. It's part of my job. I'm pretty good at it. I have no problem "using my brain" to park.

But I'm not the only one who drives my car. And even if I were, like I said I enjoy the tech and features. Sometimes I enjoy even seeing how the USS is wrong or what it reads incorrectly vs. correctly, just because I find it interesting.

But you do you and keep "using your brain" as if the rest of us don't.
Well, I think we are in the same camp :) You wouldn't want to think anything negative about what said. I'm not implying people don't use their brain :) I'm saying I prefer my brain over Tesla's.