Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When were parking sensors introduced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cab

Sep 5, 2013
Grapevine, TX
So in perusing used Teslas the one option that is high on the "nice to have" list (although not critical) is parking sensors (mostly because I have become addicted to them on our other cars and the S is a bit big). At what point, roughly, were these introduced from a year and/or VIN perspective? Were they part of a package like the "tech package" in those early years or once they were available were they standard from that point onward. I'm not sure, as an example if "parking sensors" equates to "Autopilot" in the early years (in terms of the "package" that perhaps had to be ordered). As an aside, I DON'T care about auto pilot.

Thanks!

p.s. Hank, if you see this, does your "paid" subscription for Ev-cpo call out the presence of parking sensors?

Parking sensors were added to the design studio as an option in August 2013. They were then added to the Tech package mid 2014 and then became a standard feature April 2015. From a vin perspective I have no clue though. Sorry.

Parking sensors were added to the design studio as an option in August 2013. They were then added to the Tech package mid 2014 and then became a standard feature April 2015. From a vin perspective I have no clue though. Sorry.

Using ev-cpo.com and plugging PK01 (the parking sensor option) into the search window, the lowest VIN is P16280

Don't all autopilot-hardware-equipped cars include parking sensors?

Looks like they were introduced in the late 1970's.:wink:

The Parking Sensor, originally called, ReverseAid, was a spin-off from the Sonic Pathfinder
[SUP][3][/SUP] - an Electronic Guidance Device for the Blind. Both devices were invented in the late 1970s by Dr Tony Heyes while working at the Blind Mobility Research Unit at Nottingham University in the UK.

This is a bit of a pet peeve for me. When I ordered (pre-production) and took my "Get Amped" test drive in 2012, the car did not have sensors. I asked and was told that they would initially be delivered without them, but would be retrofitted later. (was told the same thing about illuminated vanity mirrors which the Get Amped cars did have, but mine came without).

Later, when I inquired here about the missing sensors, I was roundly criticized for even wanting such a "crutch" and, oh, Tesla would never put those ugly buttons on the bumpers and were likely working on a more elegant "invisible" solution.

This is a bit of a pet peeve for me. When I ordered (pre-production) and took my "Get Amped" test drive in 2012, the car did not have sensors. I asked and was told that they would initially be delivered without them, but would be retrofitted later. (was told the same thing about illuminated vanity mirrors which the Get Amped cars did have, but mine came without).

Later, when I inquired here about the missing sensors, I was roundly criticized for even wanting such a "crutch" and, oh, Tesla would never put those ugly buttons on the bumpers and were likely working on a more elegant "invisible" solution.

Criticized by obnoxious fanboys? I believe it.

To be fair, they did come up with the invisible solution on the Model X doors, right? (But not the X bumpers?)

I hear they're easy to add:

29-Cat-Names-Cat-Whiskers-Curb-Feelers-VWVortex.jpg

Strange. I have a loaner which is P17234 and it doesn't have sensors and does have tech package and is fully loaded otherwise.

They were a $500 option at that time, so not so strange to see a car with tech package and no parking sensors.

The sensors were introduced between the time my car was built and the time it was delivered, so I'm going to guess that early 16XXX is the lowest you'll find with parking sensors. I suppose it's possible that a very late 15XXX VIN might have them, but unlikely.

I did the online order for my car the evening before the website was changed (early August of 2013) to add parking sensors as an option. I tried to get them added, but they would have required a complete reconfiguration of the car and it would have cost me close to $10,000 additional because of other price increases. I took delivery in late Sept, 2013. VIN is in my signature.

I ordered my car within one week of when they started offering the parking sensors. So I would guess my car was one of the first ones and my VIN is 205XX. But as stated before this was an option back then until it became standard much later.