Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will we see a photo of SN1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So SN1 would be the first car made off the line? Or the first car off the line after adjustments you mentioned. I thought some of the RCs where made on the line and not to be sold to work out the bugs, so that SN1 is off and good to go. Otherwise how could they be ready to hand off 30 of them in 2.85 weeks. Unless I misunderstood your post.

Prototypes/Pathfinders have revision levels to components. Often, no 2 cars are identical P/N Rev per P/N Rev. Processes also change, so even if all Revision Levels are identical, the cars might have been produced differently. Changes to robotic CNC programs occur to optimize quality and units per hour. Prototype 5 and 6 could be revision level identical, yet, 5 took 2.1 hrs, and 6 took 1.9 hours due to programming changes.

SN01 in theory is Perfect. In reality, it is just a First Article, it can have non-conformances that need to be evaluated to determine if they need corrective action.

When SN01 is validated, corrections in processes in place, then they fire it up and make a shiitload of cars from the SN01 final process. They will continuously monitor the quality of the cars coming off the line, and make changes, but do not stop the line necessarily. Even if you've made 100,000 cars, in-process and final inspection continues, as do Rev and Process changes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas Edison
Isn't the real significance of the Friday milestone that production of the Model 3 has commenced? The first car off the line isn't going to look different from the RCs we've been seeing, so why is it important to see a photograph of it (other than, perhaps, to placate those who think the Model 3 production line is a Potemkin village)? If Tesla sends out a photo of it, great, it's a nice memento. But if there's no photo, it's not a big deal. We'll see photos/videos of 30 of them in 3 weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and KJD
Yeah, I was wondering about that. When Elon said Friday, I was thinking to myself...my Model S took a couple of days "in production"...it would seem odd to me that SN1 for Model 3 would both start on Friday and be complete on Friday. Starting early on Friday and finishing Saturday evening is more realistic...though even that seems faster than I would have expected, actually.

"Friday" on Elon Time means sometime this weekend... I see you haven't changed your watch to Elon Time.
First, last Sunday he said "expecting" to complete SN1 on Friday. He didn't say it would be complete on Friday. Very hard to predict precisely that far in advance.
Second, SN1 could very well have been completed on Friday. His today's tweet said, "Production unit 1 of Model 3 is now built and going through final checkout." That doesn't necessarily mean it was completed today, only that it's done and getting checked. He may have been out of the country yesterday and only today getting into the factory to see the car.
And third, when he said "Pics soon," we'll have to wait to see how he defines "soon."

Reactions: erthquake
That doesn't necessarily mean it was completed today, only that it's done and getting checked.

This is true. But if a Model S and X typically take more than a day (I'd assume because of paint?), I'd think it would take more than a day for Model 3. But thinking further about it, it could have started early last week and still got completed on Friday. Or today. Elon said it should be completed by Friday - he didn't say when it would start being built. It could have started 3, 4, or 5 days before that. Who knows.

When will we see a photo of SN1?

Right now.
OyNjIwB.jpg
IM2QCES.jpg

Note the photographer on the left packing up his lenses after taking some historical documentation.