Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do the written off Teslas go in Aus?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was I correct in remembering you talking about a camper project? How are you progressing? Are you intending to use tickled tesla controller etc or source or build something else. Cheers

Yes, you are correct. The project has lost steam for a number of reasons. My parents are coming to NZ early next year. They asked me to get them a camper so I bought back a 2008 Fiat camper I used to own a couple of years ago. The plan was to make that electric before they turned up (good to have deadlines)and then keep it once they'd had their trip. But then when the camper turned up I remembered why I'd sold it. While my parents loved it I really don't like it. Too big, too much like a hotel and not much like 'camping'. Plus my folks weren't keen on the possibility of having a van without a working diesel or electric and suggested maybe I don't do anything to it until they've had their holiday....

So I'm now keeping my eyes open for a VW T5 with a blown motor &/or gearbox.
I was also thinking of using Tesla stuff, possibly hacked and still thinking it was a Tesla or maybe something from Damian MacGuire.
But in a T5 a Leaf motor and diff would drop in with minimal work. Here's one working in my workshop with a clever box of tricks you should be able to buy from http://bluecars.nz soon:

So the project's not dead but its in flux...:confused:

Yes, you are correct. The project has lost steam for a number of reasons. My parents are coming to NZ early next year. They asked me to get them a camper so I bought back a 2008 Fiat camper I used to own a couple of years ago. The plan was to make that electric before they turned up (good to have deadlines)and then keep it once they'd had their trip. But then when the camper turned up I remembered why I'd sold it. While my parents loved it I really don't like it. Too big, too much like a hotel and not much like 'camping'. Plus my folks weren't keen on the possibility of having a van without a working diesel or electric and suggested maybe I don't do anything to it until they've had their holiday....

So I'm now keeping my eyes open for a VW T5 with a blown motor &/or gearbox.
I was also thinking of using Tesla stuff, possibly hacked and still thinking it was a Tesla or maybe something from Damian MacGuire.
But in a T5 a Leaf motor and diff would drop in with minimal work. Here's one working in my workshop with a clever box of tricks you should be able to buy from Electric Vehicles - Rentals, Experience, Service & Sales - Blue Cars Ltd - New Zealand soon:

So the project's not dead but its in flux...:confused:

Do you mind my asking where you found this and what it set you back. Want to do a few ev's over a period of time for myself and a couple of family members, considering whether to try sourcing donors in nz or look further afield , thanks

Hi Dave,
I consult a bit for Bluecars.nz. This product will very soon be available from them here in NZ-they have 5 on the way. They also have several Leaf drivetrains available.
Yes, I used to rent out campervans for a living. We sold the business in June 2017. I'm back to Engineering which is lots of fun :)

Does anyone know who bought the mangled red P100D that got auctioned before Christmas? I have a proposal for them if so..
Here's the one I was referring to:
2018 TESLA Model S - Pickles
It seems like it didn't auction before Christmas, it went today and it went to me. I have a scheme for it but I'm having serious buyers remorse (especially trying to explain how we now own another wreck to my partner) and so if anyone fancies a nice twisted SP100D and also getting me out of the doghouse before I'm in it please get in touch...

Here's the one I was referring to:
2018 TESLA Model S - Pickles
It seems like it didn't auction before Christmas, it went today and it went to me. I have a scheme for it but I'm having serious buyers remorse (especially trying to explain how we now own another wreck to my partner) and so if anyone fancies a nice twisted SP100D and also getting me out of the doghouse before I'm in it please get in touch...
I wouldn't mind getting the automatic boot components to make mine automatic... and the speaker system! But I'm not game enough to start pulling mine apart to install them so... o_O