Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the new Supercharger going to be in NJ ? Any confirms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not related to the Edison location, but Mr. Bennett from Tesla said they are also planning or looking into a location in Hamilton NJ.

Interesting. A little OT, but could see maybe Hamilton Marketplace (exit 5A/B) off Int195, <2 mi west from intersection with NJTP.

Further north, exit 65A/B off Int295 (Sloan Ave) has AMC theaters and UNO's, still Hamilton. It's 3-4 miles south of PSE&G distribution location for southern div.

(At that point you might just hop the border to Lawrenceville and try for parking right next door to PSE&G at Gold's Gym and KC Prime, walkable to Quakerbridge Mall. During hurricane Sandy, The mall was a major staging area for PSE&G, and Gold's opened its doors for people to shower or plug in devices).

@dratifk: Based on Tesla's 2014/2015 maps, what you call "Scranton" is more likely closer to Hazleton, near the I-80/I-81 interchange. Perhaps at Laurel Mall. The downside to that, from the perspective of E-W travel along I-80, is it's 5 miles out of the way, and from your perspective it's even further out of the way. Also, "East Stroudsburg" is more likely Allentown, probably on the west side near the I-81/I-476 interchange. Driving from Rochester to northern NJ might still be tricky based on what the maps are showing. Depending on road/traffic conditions and where Tesla ultimately installs superchargers, instead of Syracuse > Binghamton > Scranton, you might need to go (for example) Syracuse > Albany > Newburgh. With 85 kWh and decent conditions, you might not even need all three stops.

Parsippany isn't currently on Tesla's 2014/2015 maps. It does make sense strategically, as it's right by the intersection of I-80, I-280, and I-287, and there's plenty of commercial and hotel options along Routes 46 and 202. The exit ramps can be a bit complicated, but good candidate locations would include the Morris Hills shopping center at 46/202, or Troy Hills shopping center at 46/Beverwyck Rd. It's "only" ~100 miles from Hazleton, and it definitely provides long-distance drivers a good array of options, including I-80 to the west, east to Manhattan via GW Bridge or Lincoln/Holland tunnels, or avoiding NYC to the northeast via Tappan Zee.

By contrast, Edison enables E-W travel just a bit further south along I-287 and I-78, or along the NJ Turnpike to I-276 and I-76. So, easy access from the southern portions of NYC, via Staten Island / JFK. Edison to Carlisle is 170-180 miles, which could be a stretch in a 60 or in extreme cold. But Edison to Newark DE is only ~105 miles, and Newark DE to Hagerstown MD is only ~130, so dipping even further south to I-70 would make it possible. There's even another 2014 dot near Edison -- in Hightstown? -- which might make those southern routes easier.

For anyone traveling west from midtown or downtown Manhattan, a logical NJ supercharger location would be Short Hills or Springfield, given Tesla's presence there. But since Edison and Parsippany should be able to cover most westbound NYC folks, I'm not convinced they'd add yet another supercharger in that part of NJ, at least not yet.

(All this from the perspective of a NJ native -- I grew up in Rockaway, not far from Parsippany, and my in-laws live in Bridgewater, not far from Parsippany or Edison.)

Thanks for this. It is disappointing. I think if they put a supercharger in allentown that would work still for me. I can stop in Syracuse and charge fully then make the 208 miles to Allentown and charge then head east on 78 and make my brothers house. It only adds 30mins to the driving time. Is 208 miles doable on a P85? I only got the car a few weeks ago and haven't driven it much yet since I have no snow tires. Going the route of Albany adds much more time to the drive. My brother Lives in Fanwood NJ off Rout78/Rt22

Dude like read 4 posts above, no it did not.

Dude,rif... should have read the earlier posts. Disappointing that it didn't get approved yesterday. I am planning a trip to Florida in my 60 and would like to have an easy jump from Darien to Edison and then to Newark DE.
I am probably going mid Feb. so it's still a possibility that it may get done by then if they approve it Jan. 14, but it's cutting it close

This is disappointing, but given my experience with NJ zoning it's not surprising.

Hopefully the desire for a more futuristic design will improve the overall facility and it will end up being a positive.

Edit: and thanks for going out and speaking and showing the car. That's the best way to answer questions.

On a positive note, before the fence objections came up, Drew Bennatt was asked how quickly construction would be, and he said something like " if approved, this location could be FAST TRACKED to start construction in 1-2 weeks" and spoke of how trenching could be done at night to minimize disruption of the mall traffic.

That sucks. NJ is a pivotal location we gotta have. Hopefully Tesla will bring out the big guns next time. I'm sure Elon could've talked his way out of that one.

I think Elon has better things to do than sit at a township review board.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. A little OT, but could see maybe Hamilton Marketplace (exit 5A/B) off Int195, <2 mi west from intersection with NJTP.

That would be a good location. Plenty of stuff there and right off the Turnpike.

In my experience 208 miles is doable but may be cutting it close. If the weather is good and you drive conservatively you should be able to make it but with bad weather it could be an issue. The good news is there looks like there are a couple of places you can stop just shy of allentown where you can top off if need be. Check out Plugshare.com.

Good luck. Now all you need is the Supercharger in Allentown to be sited and built!

Thanks for this. It is disappointing. I think if they put a supercharger in allentown that would work still for me. I can stop in Syracuse and charge fully then make the 208 miles to Allentown and charge then head east on 78 and make my brothers house. It only adds 30mins to the driving time. Is 208 miles doable on a P85? I only got the car a few weeks ago and haven't driven it much yet since I have no snow tires. Going the route of Albany adds much more time to the drive. My brother Lives in Fanwood NJ off Rout78/Rt22

In my experience 208 miles is doable but may be cutting it close. If the weather is good and you drive conservatively you should be able to make it but with bad weather it could be an issue. The good news is there looks like there are a couple of places you can stop just shy of allentown where you can top off if need be. Check out Plugshare.com.

Good luck. Now all you need is the Supercharger in Allentown to be sited and built!

Thanks for this. I'll just wait and see what happens. I'd planned on using the 2014 Odyssey Elite anyway for next few years. At least the Toronto SC is 163 miles from my house so I can go there for service. I'm hoping they will charge my P85 there while its being serviced and give me a day loaner.

Thanks for this. I'll just wait and see what happens. I'd planned on using the 2014 Odyssey Elite anyway for next few years. At least the Toronto SC is 163 miles from my house so I can go there for service. I'm hoping they will charge my P85 there while its being serviced and give me a day loaner.

My pleasure. Yes I am sure the Toronto SC will charge you up while you are in for service. FYI if you want to learn my about road tripping with your S read this post by ChadS. This truly helped me out when I started planning trips. Enjoy your S!

Is 208 miles doable on a P85?
Sometimes. :) In addition to Enadler's link (great thread BTW), for longer distances between superchargers, check out evtripplanner.com. For example: http://evtripplanner.com/planner/carview_beta/?id=q5k (I just realized the id parameter pulls up previous analyses!) shows that going 204 miles from Allentown to Syracuse, in a P85 with 21" wheels, at 65 mph, will use ~239 miles of rated range, or ~74 kWh. You can tinker with lots of settings there, including speed and temperature.

Dude,rif... should have read the earlier posts. Disappointing that it didn't get approved yesterday. I am planning a trip to Florida in my 60 and would like to have an easy jump from Darien to Edison and then to Newark DE.
I am probably going mid Feb. so it's still a possibility that it may get done by then if they approve it Jan. 14, but it's cutting it close

Demetri

If the NJ charger isn't done by then, you are more than welcome to "top off" at my place in Yonkers. I am a few blocks off the Cross County Parkway on Kimball avenue and my nema 14-50 with UMC is outside on the corner of the house - so no one has to be there for you to use it. Although I am only about 25 miles or so from Darien, I am only 145 miles from the Newark, DE chargers - an easy hop for you in your 60... Even in the winter!

Aaron

Thanks Aaron I may take you up on that. My other alternative was to go to JFK which is about the same distance 146 miles. But I don't want to go that way. In February it gets get very cold and there may traffic and I don't want to have any anxiety especially with the wife in the car. I want to have a 200 mile charge to give me a good buffer and I don't have to drive 55 all the way.
We met at the Westport EV rally this summer. My email is [email protected] send me your address.

208 miles on a P85 is definitely doable. The distance between Burlington and Glen Allen superchargers right now is 200 miles and quite a few have made that trek. Temperature and speed are obviously the big issues. If you range charge to ~260 mile rated range, then you need to keep energy consumption below 380 watts/mile. You can get a feel for what 380 watts/mile would be - for me, that's driving roughly 70-78 mph with heated seats and HVAC set to 70 degrees in 50 degree weather in a P85 with 19" wheels. I've done 203 miles while charging to 245 miles rated range, but that's driving 65-68mph most of the way in 60 degree temps.

208 miles on a P85 is definitely doable. The distance between Burlington and Glen Allen superchargers right now is 200 miles and quite a few have made that trek. Temperature and speed are obviously the big issues. If you range charge to ~260 mile rated range, then you need to keep energy consumption below 380 watts/mile. You can get a feel for what 380 watts/mile would be - for me, that's driving roughly 70-78 mph with heated seats and HVAC set to 70 degrees in 50 degree weather in a P85 with 19" wheels. I've done 203 miles while charging to 245 miles rated range, but that's driving 65-68mph most of the way in 60 degree temps.

Thats good to know. I just received my winter set from Tire Rack so now I can drive my Car on a regular basis. Nothing beats experience with range than experimenting. Now I just have to wait for Tesla to Put a Superchager in Syracuse and another near 80. For me the perfect spot would be Binghamton.

Here is a short article about the proposed Edison NJ SC

Tesla comes to Edison: Electric car company applies for charging station near mall
http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.s...station_near_mall.html#incart_river_middlesex

Reminder, next Tuesday, Jan. 14th (7pm) the Edison Zoning Board meets to hopefully approve the SC in Edison.
http://www.edisonnj.org/document_center/Agenda_January_14__2014.pdf

Hopefully they green light it this time.. I take delivery the 17th :)