Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to Find Acceleration Boost for 2023 Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've looked in the Tesla App. Can only see Accessories. Scanned through those and did not see AB. They seem to populate slowly though, so maybe I just didn't wait long enough?

Inside the car the only Upgrade it shows me is a month of FSD. I recently bought one month of Premium Connectivity, but before that I could both the one month and one year subscriptions for that.

I thought I had read that the car had to be connected to WiFi to order AB, so just now I did that (I have a nearby desktop that I can turn on Mobile Hotspot). Car connected to WiFi fine, but still no AB in the Upgrade list.

I HAVE seen it before but don't recall if it was in the App or in the car.

Where are Model Y owners finding the AB Upgrade?

I've looked in the Tesla App. Can only see Accessories. Scanned through those and did not see AB. They seem to populate slowly though, so maybe I just didn't wait long enough?

Inside the car the only Upgrade it shows me is a month of FSD. I recently bought one month of Premium Connectivity, but before that I could both the one month and one year subscriptions for that.

I thought I had read that the car had to be connected to WiFi to order AB, so just now I did that (I have a nearby desktop that I can turn on Mobile Hotspot). Car connected to WiFi fine, but still no AB in the Upgrade list.

I HAVE seen it before but don't recall if it was in the App or in the car.

Where are Model Y owners finding the AB Upgrade?
Check the Software Upgrades section of the App.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Thanks @Nenarek. But no joy yet. I just have Upgrades, and under that is just Accessories:

Screenshot_20230911-104706-edit.png

Screenshot_20230911-104724-edit.png

Screenshot_20230911-104747.png

Maybe my App needs updating? But I think I've seen it there before. And usually it tells me when I need to update the App.

I've seen another source that says the car needs to be connected to WiFi. Maybe the phone with the App running on it needs to be on that same network? In my case I'm not (WiFi for car just a temporary hotspot from a nearby desktop). I can try using that hotspot for the phone too.

It's a Fremont build from spring of this year. So no 4680 cells.

I'd check what motor you have. If you have the performance motor I'd consider ghosting it instead of acceleration boost.

I believe some people say they wait until their warranty expires to ghost it but I don't see why that would be an issue.

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I bought acceleration boost on my 2022 Y right after the August delivery last year. Never checked what motor was in it. AB certainly was a slight improvement. However the MYLR is still a very fast vehicle as is without AB coming over from ICE performance cars.

If I was doing it again I would wait for at least 3-6+ months before buying AB. Make absolute certain you want to keep the vehicle awhile. Make sure you don't consider going with a MYP instead. Also with these tax credits you might find it makes sense to swap to a 2024 or something for nearly "free". Thats basically what happened when I switched from my 2023 M3P with 11k miles to new MYLR last week.

When my 2022 Y got totaled AB wasn't a factor in the payout nor a factor in gap coverage loan payoff. It doesn't transfer like FSD now does. Its unlikely if you sold or traded it in you would get any benefit, probably only the very rare scenario it was a super informed private party you sold the vehicle too. So its kind of money you throw into something that you'll never get back. If your going to have the vehicle many years yeah for some very passionate drivers it might be worth it.

Just my personal experience, I am not buying AB for my new MYLR at this time.

I just checked my app for my Y LR purchase from Friday, under Upgrades there is software upgrades, click that and acceleration boost is an option there for 2,000.

Are you the owner of the vehicle in your Tesla account? If your spouse was the owner but gave your ID access maybe the upgrades aren't available.

Reactions: bobkart
Thanks for the thoughts, suggestions, and data points, @MacO512 . It's my MYLR, just over three months in. I could certainly wait to engage AB.

One thing that's odd about my phone (besides how slow it is) is that sometimes there are options just off the bottom of the screen, that the App won't let me scroll down to. Like Cabin Overheat Protection: I can't see it when I swipe up, but it goes back down when I let go. Keeps me from interacting with that option. Like the App is designed for a slightly larger screen. Wondering if the Software Upgrades is getting impacted that misfeature of my phone.

When you see Software Upgrades after clicking Upgrades in the App, is your car connected to WiFi, and is your phone connected to that same Wifi network?

Reactions: MacO512
Thanks for the thoughts, suggestions, and data points, @MacO512 . It's my MYLR, just over three months in. I could certainly wait to engage AB.

One thing that's odd about my phone (besides how slow it is) is that sometimes there are options just off the bottom of the screen, that the App won't let me scroll down to. Like Cabin Overheat Protection: I can't see it when I swipe up, but it goes back down when I let go. Keeps me from interacting with that option. Like the App is designed for a slightly larger screen. Wondering if the Software Upgrades is getting impacted that misfeature of my phone.

When you see Software Upgrades after clicking Upgrades in the App, is your car connected to WiFi, and is your phone connected to that same Wifi network?
Software upgrades should be above accessories. Go into your phone settings and adjust the zoom so everything isn’t as big. The Tesla app probably isn’t optimized for the amount of zoom you’re using on your screen.

For those concerned about an upgrades resale value, you have to let that go. Rarely if ever are mods for any vehicle something that add to the resale value. You get them to enjoy for yourself. With hardware mods you can remove them from the car prior to a sale but with a Tesla software upgrade we're pretty much screwed. Tesla really does need to allow software upgrades to be transferrable, for free if your car is totaled and it wasn't your fault and for a small fee if you just wanted to buy a new Tesla.

Reactions: MacO512
No luck finding Software Upgrades under Upgrades in the App when both car and phone are on the same WiFi network.

One thing that may be clouding things is that I did just buy a month of Premium Connectivity, but I've yet to see the charge for that show up in any Payment Method I have on file with Tesla. Possibly Tesla is holding up some (non-subscription?) upgrades until that goes through? I still see a month of FSD available though.

Not sure why yours is different. Only other thing I can think of is maybe there was a toggle on app or on account to allow upgrades in car, or a toggle in car to allow it elsewhere. I can't remember if that was Tesla or something else I saw that somewhere.

Reactions: bobkart
For those concerned about an upgrades resale value, you have to let that go. Rarely if ever are mods for any vehicle something that add to the resale value. You get them to enjoy for yourself. With hardware mods you can remove them from the car prior to a sale but with a Tesla software upgrade we're pretty much screwed. Tesla really does need to allow software upgrades to be transferrable, for free if your car is totaled and it wasn't your fault and for a small fee if you just wanted to buy a new Tesla.
The FSD transfer Tesla has allowed the last few months is great. If they allowed that I bet more people would buy FSD and other items like acceleration boost, or pay something for basic autopilot, etc.

It doesn't have to be 100% transferable, but if they let you transfer it for like a $1000 transfer fee I bet a lot more people would get it.

Reactions: DaveG_NJ
Thanks for checking, and the suggestions, @MacO512. At least I know what it should look like in the App now. I'll try it on another device soon. I'm also considering a re-install of the App. It seems to sometimes hang right at that screen, such that the back-arrow doesn't respond. Given that I'm missing content on that screen, a corrupted App installation is the new primary suspect.

Also, wondering if there's another avenue for turning this on... like from the car or from my Tesla account on a desktop.