Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And laying coats and dry-cleaning etc. in the trunk or on the back seats is only an option if these seats aren't taken and the trunk is empty.
How realistic is that on a business trip to your customers, escpecially when you drive with several colleagues? Isn't that what a 5+2 seater is all about - not driving alone in it, without any luggage?

I get your point, but realistically you're also not going to hang your dry cleaning right on top of your rear seat passengers.

Last edited:
Do I ever use the hooks? Yes.
Will I miss the hooks? Not in any way that matters.

Your statment reminded me of this:

29735367.jpg

I suspect that the grab-handles were omitted because they interfere with the side curtain airbags. Tesla seems willing to trade away any creature-comfort feature to get better safety ratings. Personally, I would like grab handles, to help passengers during vigorous driving, to assist in exiting the car, and last and least, to provide hanging space.

While the minimalist approach to the interior is admirable - the omission of some of these basic features is frustrating.

The coat hooks are a nice feature - to hang clothes/jacket during a drive. While it's not something I use frequently - when I do use it - it is useful. Dealbreaker - no; frustrating - yes...

The grab handles on the other hand are more important. Passengers with mobility challenges (disabled and/or elderly) - that need help in entering and exit the car look for the grab handles. Without the grab handles, those passengers may need more help from someone else to get in and out of the car. So I'd rate the grab handles as a higher priority.

And, of course, there are the other basic feature omissions mentioned in other threads - door/center console storage, rear-seat armrest, better cup holders, ...

These aren't "luxury" car features (like dynamic cruise control or power-folding mirrors) - but features that are on almost every car on the market.

When planning updates to the Model S - hopefully they'll also be looking at some of these basic features in addition to adding higher-margin performance/luxury features.

I was told months ago that they were working on options for the sparse center console/cupholder issue. It sounded like they were going to offer multiple center console options that could be selected (almost certainly for an upgrade price.) But I haven't heard a word about this lately.

If you have the pano roof, it seems hanging a coat is pretty easy:

IMG_4994.JPG

You can hang it anywhere on the support bar, but for most of its length it will just slide around on corners. But if you put it in the corner like this, it seems pretty stable, and angled well to not hit the front seat either:

IMG_4991.JPG

I didn't actually drive around with it, but unless you're on the track (or driving like you are) I think it will stay there.

Interesting omission indeed! I use the hook/handle for my coat in my Lexus regularly. I would love to see the use cases they wrote for the interior, and the assessment of what was in / out and why. Of course, I'm assuming cars are designed and built like software, which is likely a pretty bad assumption.

Regardless, thanks @ChadS for the pics / solution. Looks like that will work for dry cleaning, but not so much for the sport / suit coat.

The dry cleaning in the picture is my suit jacket. Do you mean if you're not coming from the cleaners, you don't have a hangar?

Yes, it's a law of nature: no matter how many hangers you get with the clothes, how many you get from the cleaners, and how many extra you purchase, you're always short three to four hangers in every closet.

Yes, it's a law of nature: no matter how many hangers you get with the clothes, how many you get from the cleaners, and how many extra you purchase, you're always short three to four hangers in every closet.

Except for the metal ones which breed and multiply when you're not looking. They also have a collective defense instinct and tangle together when you try to cull them for recycling.

My apologies, but I don't understand this thread. Maybe it's a generational or cultural thing. I confess I mainly wear suits in the winter, but 99% of the time I just wear it while driving. I have on occasion brought my tuxedo with me on a long trip, but all the hangars I've ever had get in the way of passengers and don't work well, so I have a suit bag that folds up without wrinkling my jacket, and I load it in the back. If it's a hot day and I wear my suit, I wear a really good undershirt and antiperspirant and everything looks fine when I get to my meeting. Or is there another reason not to wear it?

- - - Updated - - -

And re: dry cleaning, my wife does most of it at home, and it's good enough for me. If I'm bringing home dry cleaning it's an errand that I'm not packing up my 4 kids for!

Wearing a suit jacket while driving inevitably wrinkles that back. At least, that's my experience.

I don't think I've ever had that problem. Maybe it's my fit/style/suit material/driving posture? I'm no expert, but it works for me. And I'm not in an environment where people get upset at a slight wrinkle, so maybe I'm not as aware. Maybe length of commute matters? Anyway, just thought I'd add my possibly abnormal perception. :)

No f*$#@&ing coat hooks??

Pretty much every car I've ever seen, down to the cheapest subcompact, has some sort of coat hook in the back seat, somewhere along the roofline. Went to pick up my dry-cleaning today and realized that my $100k luxury car has no hooks... nowhere to hang your coat or your dry cleaning. lay it down in the back seat and it falls to the floor at your next stop light... trunk or frunk will have to do, but they slide around there too. seems dumb not to have the little hook. Also made me realize there aren't those passenger grab handles (which sometimes integrate the coat hook). Grab handles are always nice, especially the way we're likely to drive in this car!
GRRRR....

Last edited: