Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where would you live if you could?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"no foreign buyers rule" -- which we really need here too because the real estate market in the lower mainland of BC is priced out of most people's range who work here and pay taxes at our rates. It's not fair that we have to compete with people coming from countries who don't pay nearly the tax we pay, among other inequities. It's a not a level playing field and it's too bad what has happened in NZ likely won't ever happen here.

Uh Oh... I've seen this before, and since you're Canadian, this is how it will likely play out...

whitewalkers.jpg

I've moved a few times. @buttershrimp has it right - Austin's great. If you're young. And have the skin of a lizard. And of a polar bear. But mostly the lizard. Lived there for 20 years and I always say, "It's a great place to live out your 20s."

Everyone's different, and that's why the earth is populated the way it is. We wound up here in Sonoma. It's a really neat place - small town near a big city and it has good grocery. Really, that's the criteria for me. Good food. If I can eat well and be around my family, I can handle most of what the weather throws at me.

Of course, since I can eat well and have great weather, I'll just stay here in Sonoma for now.
When we lived in CA for 20 years or so, I always relished getting off a January flight from Chicago and points north and getting down to T-shirt and shorts (usually). I still think that is when they should present you with your property tax bill.

Was going to say New Zealand too; great indeed to visit and wonderful people. Again, as asserted above, probably not the same to live there.

Next choice - any of the wonderful "hill stations" as they are called in India.

If I badly want to keep my Model S and soon my wife's 3 as well, Hanalei on the island of Kauai, Hawaii!

This thread reminds me of this song:

L.A's fine, sunshine most of the time
the feeling is laid back
palm trees grow and the rents are low
but you know i keep thinking about
making my way back
Well, i'm new york city born and raised
but nowadays, i'm lost between two shores
la's fine, but it ain't home
new york's home but it ain't mine no more

My personal taste is to be near the ocean. Specifically somewhere with great fishing and golf.

Reactions: buttershrimp
We're happy right where we are - a small town at 6100' elevation in Southern California's primary mountain resort area. There are four beautiful seasons, yet the climate is temperate, as our winter temperatures don't get super cold (nothing like -25C as mentioned by Canuck in the interior of BC) and summer highs are rarely above 30C/86F. There are plenty of uncrowded (though unmarked) trails for hiking, mountain biking, and backcountry skiing, plus a nice community. I'm impressed by the diversity of tree species here, including various types of pine, fir, and oak.

The scenery isn't nearly as dramatic as in places like Mammoth Lakes, CA or the Colorado Rockies, but we have SoCal in easy reach, being only 25 minutes away from the nearest freeway, 1.5 hours away from Los Angeles or the beach (without traffic), and less than an hour from the desert. Besides, it isn't hard to drive to the High Sierra from time to time.

The biggest downside of this area is occasional wildfires and consequent evacuations. We last evacuated in 2007 due to a fire that came within about a mile of our home. Some are also put off by the large snowfalls that we sometimes receive - last January, we received about five feet of snow over a few days. Others don't like having to drive mountain roads to get anywhere, though in a Tesla I consider this a plus!

Reactions: Gary1M
A lot depends on what kind of climate you like and what kind of culture you're seeking. If you're considering anywhere in North America, I suggest "American Nations" recommended to me by @AudubonB. It's a great book to explain how America got the way it is, but it also describes the core culture in different parts of North America.

The "Left Coast" culture along the coastal strip of California and Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia west of the Cascades is my favorite. Creativity is highly valued, as is personal freedom. Basically if you aren't causing harm or putting people at risk, people don't condemn what you're doing.

I've lived most of my life in different variations of that culture. I grew up in Los Angeles, went to school in San Luis Obispo, CA, lived in Seattle for 16 years, and I've been in the Portland area since 2003. I like the cooler climate of Seattle and Portland. Summers here in Portland can crack 100F during heat waves (though the warmer it gets the drier it gets), it snows occasionally, but rarely lasts on the ground more than a day or so.

I hated the weather in Los Angeles. It occasionally got down in the 30s in the winter, but it was rare. It could also be 80 at Christmas.

San Luis Obispo was nice for California. If you want a mild, warm climate, it's the place to move to. SLO is a university town with Cal Poly, SLO there. There are a significantly large percentage of Cal Poly graduates who figured out how to stay in the area. If you want to move to the SLO area we're selling my father's house in Morro Bay.

Of all the places I've lived, I like it here in Clark Co, WA the best. Washington has no state income tax and Oregon no sales tax. We can easily go to Portland to avoid sales taxes if we want. Portland has also become quite the foodie place. Every cuisine you can imagine is available and most of it is quite good. Portland also revels in its weirdness.

Politically Portland is extremely liberal, which may or may not be your cup of tea. Clark Co and Washington Co, OR are more conservative, but more in a libertarian way than the Mike Pence way.

So I look at all these posts and think...
@AudubonB has a number of excellent points and he did even mention that 100% of the inhabitants have solar power. Paxton may be the perfect summer location once the Destination Chargers arrive and the DC Fast go in along the highway.;)

Several places in the US would be on my list were:
-health care easier and less overpriced,
-Politics were not so rabid,

San Luis Obispo, Portland, OR and Asheville, NC are particular favorites.

If there weren’t such a winter Victoria, BC would be top of mind.

Of all the places I’ve lived:
Singapore is my lifestyle favorite,
Saint Paul de Vence wins for climate, health care and congeniality,
...and the list keeps going on.
Croatia has such splendid places like Split,
Slovenia has several superb choices,
Neither of the last two is easy for naturalization, and we don’t want to be foreigners. Our three nationalities do make it easy in many places.

There really needs to be a good decision process for this.

Anyway, Brisbane looks better. Great natural beauty, climate we like... But politics is not exactly reassuring and energy policy is almost Trumpish. Still...

• Informative
Reactions: buttershrimp
... I grew up in rurality; as a preference, neighbors I can/must see or hear, I do not want. ..

... coastal Uruguay,
... Baja (del Norte),
...the Dalmatian Coast
I admire your choices, but, you did put in that requirement so I am compelled to mention a couple of points.
...where ever you go in coastal Uruguay, or most of the rest of Uruguay for that matter, you'll be inundated with tourists. South is mostly Argentines, North and east it is Brazilians. It's not for nothing that the very colorful ex-Presdient suggested it would be simpler to make Uruguay as State of Brazil. I really like Uruguay but it is not easy to be anywhere on the cost without encountering lots of us heading south (and not to get semi-legally high, since that is allegedly reserved for Uruguayans only.).
... Baja is very special. I spent lots of time there near Los Barriles although that is in BCS on the east coast. Remote it is, neighbors not many, Spectacular life. but it is in BCS and the only practical way to get there is to fly in your own plane because there is a landing strip at Punta Pescadero resort where they are thrilled to have anybody come by.
...the Dalmatian Coast has several of my favorite places in the world. Split I love. My favorite spot is Istria in the fall when it is truffle season. The only problem is that the entire coast is deeply loaded with tourists. OTOH, there are lots of Superchargers, destination chargers and other charging options. If we could get easily get Croatian permanent residency or citizenship we'd be there within months.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Any thoughts on any places in Colorado?

I'm currently in Northern Virginia --- and want to relo (anywhere in the US) by the end of November.

Portland Oregon -- wow does it get hot in the Summer; and, for those without a car... there are way too many junkies and poser-rich-homeless for my taste.
Seattle Washington -- overrated in my opinion post-grunge.
Sparks/Reno Nevada -- wow, I was glad to escape when I did.

Peace out.

Any thoughts on any places in Colorado?

I'm currently in Northern Virginia --- and want to relo (anywhere in the US) by the end of November.

Portland Oregon -- wow does it get hot in the Summer; and, for those without a car... there are way too many junkies and poser-rich-homeless for my taste.
Seattle Washington -- overrated in my opinion post-grunge.
Sparks/Reno Nevada -- wow, I was glad to escape when I did.

Peace out.
There are lots of nice places in Colorado but it is hard to make a recommendation without knowing your budget and how far (or close) you want to be from nature and/or metropolitan areas.