Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where would you live if you could?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now, HERE Magnificent home, superb grounds, glorious views, wonderful climate is a place that just showed up. It looks really really appealing. And there's a Supercharger around the corner! :D
Tesla party.jpg

They've got this neat new invention called "air conditioning" donchaknow? Works great.
In all seriousness, downtown Wickenburg's "Desert Caballeros Art Museum" is an excellent treasure. Thoughtfully displayed and annotated masterpieces of western art from Bierstadt on through current artists. It's an 80-yard stroll from the SpC and we cannot recommend it highly enough; but it is not some small museum you can dash through while trying to amass 150 miles' charge.
For more plebeian tastes, the Saguaro is an old-style movie theatre with great runs; the owner takes your tickets ($5!) and greets you warmly on entering and exiting, every time. Just like your church pastor...except he doesn't make you feel bad you only put a quarter in the collection plate.
We also go into PHX and Scottsdale venues for larger events.

Hey! My nephew is working on Shakira's current worldwide tour...she'll be coming to Phoenix in early Feb. Really looking forward to going to that concert, although she's not everyone's cup of...caipirinha.

Reactions: jbcarioca
San Diego is a "hidden gem" in Southern California, but I think the word is out (I've noticed traffic getting worse and worse there over the last few years, indicating population rising).

San Diego has great weather all year round. It's very condensed, so it doesn't take an hour to go from one locale to another (everything's about 20 mins away).

Coming from LA, it's the perfect antithesis to crowds, traffic, and big-city rudeness.

Exactly where I am!

San Luis Obispo was nice for California. If you want a mild, warm climate, it's the place to move to. SLO is a university town with Cal Poly, SLO there. There are a significantly large percentage of Cal Poly graduates who figured out how to stay in the area. If you want to move to the SLO area we're selling my father's house in Morro Bay.

I love the San Luis Obispo area so much...

SLO_Skyhouse_small.jpg

Reactions: Cowbell
I have lived my entire threescore four years in California. I have not traveled much; I do not have a passport.

For me, I would like the Sta. Barbara/Montecito area for much of the year. Gotta be close to the sea. (Yes, where I live now is two hours away, but spousal considerations trump personal desires.) :D Even Cardiff-by-the-Sea or Solana Beach would be nice.

Then, Mammoth Lakes for a stretch during summer would be nice for a change of scenery and a lot of outdoor activities. The Eastern Sierra is magnificent in my view.

I live 1 mile from the beach in Torrance, California. I have traveled around the US a bit and a bit outside the country. I find my home in Torrance the best mainly for weather and the local dinning and shopping options. And at my age the multiple near by hospitals are comforting. Like the OP I could actually live anywhere. My business partner lives in Florida which I really like the area (not the yearly storms). But probably most important to my wife and I are family. Most of our family is here. 4 kids and 5 grandkids. However, I hate the California Taxes. And with the New Tax proposal and losing the CA State Tax deduction it can get a bit worse. Really considering making my current home my vacation home :)

I spoke to some military wives who move around from place to place with their Spouses.

They told me that it is not the place you live, but the kind of person you are, that makes all the difference.

Said they have lived in some not so desirable places, but still managed to have a great time every where they end up.

In every town, some people are having a great time, while others are miserable and complaining.

Reactions: arcus
San Diego is a "hidden gem" in Southern California, but I think the word is out (I've noticed traffic getting worse and worse there over the last few years, indicating population rising).

San Diego has great weather all year round. It's very condensed, so it doesn't take an hour to go from one locale to another (everything's about 20 mins away).

Coming from LA, it's the perfect antithesis to crowds, traffic, and big-city rudeness.
That must be a different San Diego than the one I live in. Back when I was a commuting wage slave, if I left work at Sorrento Mesa (where the superchargers are) anything between 4-6:30pm, it would take me 45 minutes to get home, 8.5 miles away. Because of the topography, there are places you pretty much can't get to without going onto a freeway, and the entrances and exits are always choked, or metered, or both.

My wife and I find ourselves in the enviable position of being able to settle virtually anywhere in the world. That's a lot of possibilities! Although the members of this forum are a diverse group of people, we're still more alike than we are different. So, I ask you all, if you could live anywhere, where would it be? And, what places would you avoid based on personal experiences?

Now, I'm not asking where you think I should live, since you really don't know me. Instead, I want your experiences and aspirations about "home". If you could live anywhere, even if you had to give up your Tesla, where would it be?

Hawaii of course ,

Any thoughts on any places in Colorado?

I'm currently in Northern Virginia --- and want to relo (anywhere in the US) by the end of November.

Portland Oregon -- wow does it get hot in the Summer; and, for those without a car... there are way too many junkies and poser-rich-homeless for my taste.
Seattle Washington -- overrated in my opinion post-grunge.
Sparks/Reno Nevada -- wow, I was glad to escape when I did.

Peace out.

Having lived in Seattle and Portland, there are many parts of the Seattle area that are nice. There is a range of cultures from the inner city hipsters to the techie suburbs, to even pickup driving rednecks.

Portland's summers aren't bad IMO. It can get over 100 occasionally, but average summer temps are in the 80s. And summers are dry, you don't get the humidity you see east of the Rockies.

A friend I grew up with moved to San Diego after college, he called it LA with 1/3 less people.

I love the San Luis Obispo area so much...

SLO_Skyhouse_small.jpg

The entire Central Coast is nice. My parents moved to Morro Bay in 1984. My mother is gone now and my father in assisted living so we're selling the house they built. Of the places I've been in California (almost every corner of the state), the Central Coast is one of the nicest environments, but I like the NW better.

Like the OP, I'm pretty much able to live where I want. But making up my mind was not easy, and I could end up changing my mind and moving. I live in Spokane, WA, because:

It's big enough to have the amenities of a city, including a good medical system, yet small enough that it's not suffocating. I don't like big cities with their smog and their endless expanses of concrete and their traffic. The air here is clean (mostly; this summer there was some really bad smoke from forest fires in the area, but we were not directly threatened by fire) and in ten or fifteen minutes I can be driving my Tesla through farmland, very pleasant when the weather is nice. Winters here are severe if you are used to living in the south, but moving here from North Dakota, our winters are mild.

What clinched it for me, however, was that Spokane is half a day's drive from the most spectacularly beautiful hiking areas I've ever been in: southeastern British Columbia, Canada. I considered moving there, but I'm not into winter sports, and the hiking season is short. From Spokane I can hop up the BC whenever I like, but I still have the Spokane international airport for other travel.

If I were to become unable to hike, my second choice would be Maui, HI. My second-favorite activity is warm-water kayaking. In Maui, not only is it no big deal if you fall in the water, more often than not you'll want to hop off the kayak for a while. I don't live in Maui because it's just too hard to get anywhere else from there, and as long as there are also other places I want to go Spokane is more convenient. If I were willing to deal with the hassle of having two homes and moving between them twice a year, Maui would be the other one.

These two places are opposites regarding cost of living. Home prices in Spokane are very low compared to the rest of the country. In Maui everything is expensive.