Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where's the LOVE Elon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@neroden and efusco. I do see your points, and a while back in another similar thread I mentioned that the best thing for us to do is email Tesla customer service and politely mention these things. In my email I mentioned some ideas (like better warranty and even free Ranger visits - precisely things that cost them further down the road, once they're producing more cars); I received a very polite reply, with answers to most of my questions - there are some things not set in stone yet, so it is still a good time to provide them with feedback. It can't hurt, anyway. I'm quite sure the customer feedback regarding the pano roof led it to being an option on the Sig - so I know they have been listening to those that communicate with them directly.

At the same time, I don't feel like I particularly deserve to complain, since I was a lucky Canadian who reserved early, when our only option was a $5000 deposit, and I'll only have to pay the extra $35k when I choose my options. I would have put 40 down right away if they'd let me, and so it turned out quite alright for me that I couldn't.

The explanation which makes the most sense to me, is that they increased the priority of being able to make the necessary investments for Bluestar (and other upcoming cars) as soon as possible. They've been talking about 2015/2016, however with recent indications that they will not use additional outside funding, that might be a really difficult schedule, unless they can turn sales into profits *soon*.
This does not explain it.

By blatantly overcharging for the Signature, they (1) lose Signature reservations (by the time enough people drop back to standard production it might not even be fully sold out when the time comes to stop making them), and (2) create bad press and irritated early adopters, which loses additional reservations. Bad move.

This isn't batching.

I hope Tesla "restores our faith" by offering additional Signature features (service program enhancements have been suggested, and would totally work) which are worth the $3000 premium, and by cutting the price when we choose not to get "features" like the 21" wheels (as ckessel says, that's just taking our money and giving us nothing). Tesla's kind of developing a "shady car company" reputation now, and that *can't* be good.

@neroden and efusco. I do see your points, and a while back in another similar thread I mentioned that the best thing for us to do is email Tesla customer service and politely mention these things.
Have emailed repeatedly, keep getting "out of office" replies so far. Not good at being polite (though I am never profane).

I did get one useful piece of information which I have shared (if you downgrade they will attempt to put you where you would have been in the queue had you ordered a Production model on the same date).

The customer rep alluded to the fact that the current Sig differences we know about may not be the only perks (badging, spot in line, paint, leather) - but didn't make any promises. I found it interesting that he was also very clear in stating that if I wanted to downgrade I could gladly do so - no high-pressure up-selling. I wouldn't mind them trying to convince me to buy a performance ;)

I've always gotten a quick reply, although I've been emailing the generic "[email protected]" and have had different people reply (since it's usually been a few months between inquiries).
That's actually a pretty good point. Even when mailing your representative directly, it might be worth CC'ing the main email address in case your representative happens to be on vacation or somesuch.

If I weren't going to get a fully loaded car then I would simply not be getting a Sig. So if you don't want the 21s or you don't want red, why even reserve a Sig? The Sig benefit, jumping the line to get a fully loaded, limited edition car, is what TM promised and is delivering. Your extra cash deposit bought that and only that. With respect to the $3,550 up charge, that is what I would expect with a limited edition car.

This does not explain it.

I was responding to the 40 kWh pack discussion, not the signature (probably should have removed the second sentence from my quote).

I hope Tesla "restores our faith" by offering additional Signature features (service program enhancements have been suggested, and would totally work) which are worth the $3000 premium, and by cutting the price when we choose not to get "features" like the 21" wheels (as ckessel says, that's just taking our money and giving us nothing). Tesla's kind of developing a "shady car company" reputation now, and that *can't* be good.

I don't think the new pricing/options page is in any way meant to be a complete communication, but only the first piece of a larger set of website updates. For example I expect the upcoming design studio changes to contain additional information (of course). Things may get a bit hectic as Tesla is getting closer to mid-2012, and we'll probably need to get used to it. Many are probably in vacation right now. We just learned this morning (I think) that for signatures, the dash and doors would be have leather as well. There may be other perks, or not, and if there are more, Tesla might not announce them for while, or even not decide on that yet. If you ask me, I think Tesla might see the signature more as a "limited edition" package with collectors value (which will probably apply the most to the red multi-coat paint), and are encouraged to do so by the quickly growing list of reservations and the responses to test drives etc. I expect it will be quite a media spectacle as we come closer to the actual launch.

If I weren't going to get a fully loaded car then I would simply not be getting a Sig. So if you don't want the 21s or you don't want red, why even reserve a Sig? The Sig benefit, jumping the line to get a fully loaded, limited edition car, is what TM promised and is delivering. Your extra cash deposit bought that and only that. With respect to the $3,550 up charge, that is what I would expect with a limited edition car.

I wrote my message before reading yours, in case you are wondering... :)

If I weren't going to get a fully loaded car then I would simply not be getting a Sig. So if you don't want the 21s or you don't want red, why even reserve a Sig?

Remember, we reserved before we knew what the options were.

"Red" is not generally considered part of "fully loaded", as red is a matter of taste (and many people prefer not to get the "cop attracting color"). If it were part of "fully loaded", I would hope "blue" would be too, but apparently it's not.

The 21" wheels are demonstrably inferior in treadwear and poor-road-condition handling to the 19" wheels (and especially inferior to the 19" aerodynamic wheels, so arguably the car is fully loaded only *without* them and with the 19" aeros. :)

Honestly, I'm getting everything else except the pano roof. For me, it's a $5550 premium for (a) extra leather and (b) early delivery and (c) fewer paint and interior options. It seems awfully steep for that; as I said elsewhere, I'm going to price custom upholstery work, as it may well be cheaper.

Given my location >230 miles away from the nearest Tesla Service Center, that would certainly go some way. Free ranger visits would be worth $230 per visit, which could add up *FAST*. Of course, the value of that would vary according to people's location.

I verified with my Roadster salesman a few days ago that ranger visits for warranty work on the model S will be free of charge. If my memory serves non warranty work is charged at 1$ a mile Both ways resulting in a $460 charge per non warranty visit for a 230 mile ranger journey.

I verified with my Roadster salesman a few days ago that ranger visits for warranty work on the model S will be free of charge. If my memory serves non warranty work is charged at 1$ a mile Both ways resulting in a $460 charge per non warranty visit for a 230 mile ranger journey.

Hi Warren,

Yes, that's what I heard as well. I'm guessing that non-battery warranties, which haven't been announced yet, will be at least 5 years or 50,000 miles. If these fees are waived when under warranty anyway, I think the Signature folks would get a bit impatient waiting so long to see this benefit. Waiving the $600 check-up fees for a few years might be something that Tesla could do to reward Signature reservation holders.

One thing I wasn't sure about is for the routine annual check-ups whether Tesla would waive the ranger fees while under warranty. Do you happen to know what the current ranger fee policy is on routine check-ups with regard to Roadsters?

Larry

Has a $600 annual service fee for Model S been announced or speculation based on Roadster? Either way I think if Tesla announced that annual service was included during the warranty period for Signature Series that it would satisfy most of us disappointed/upset with the premium being charged for Signature. I do believe Tesla will ultimately offer a credit for wheel downgrades on the Signature; it seems so unfair otherwise I just don't see them sticking to the current policy regarding wheels. Personally, at the moment I am leaning towards switching from Signature to regular 85kw or maybe sport. I need to see and feel the cars in person before I make a final decision.

Regarding the ranger fee for annual service, I would try to time the annual service to coincide with a visit for a warranty item if possible. If there aren't any warranty items to address than I guess I would could consider myself lucky:) Usually some warranty item pops up in a year.

One thing I wasn't sure about is for the routine annual check-ups whether Tesla would waive the ranger fees while under warranty. Do you happen to know what the current ranger fee policy is on routine check-ups with regard to Roadsters?

Larry

The annual service fee isn't waived under warranty. It's about $600.

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I know the check-up fee is about $600. My question is are the ranger fees waived while under warranty.

Larry