Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which charger is everyone going with? wall charger or portable plug in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the wall connector, few things to consider.
The car you have today might not be the only car you ever charge on it. Maybe you currently have a 3 capped at 32amps but maybe a house guest or you at a later date have an S or X capable of 72-80amps, or whatever the Cybertruck is capable of.
On cost with an outlet it is recommended you go with an upgraded industrial one for $70 not the $8 Home Depot one.
If you are buying a spare UMC to leave home and so you have a backup option on case of damage or failure that is $300 vs. $500 for the wall connector, but remember you had to spend money on an outlet too.

If you want a backup and we're going to buy a second UMC the wall connector upcharge is less than $200 since you aren't buying an outlet, and if you go ahead and spend a bit extra you can future proof your setup with more capacity.

I am really at a loss to understand spending $40k+ and then worrying about a couple hundred dollar to support it.

I installed a 14-50 outlet and I chose to use a Juicebox. I did not want a Tesla hard-wired setup. If I move I can unplug and take this thing with me. If it fails I simply buy another one and plug it in.
Of course, you could just as easily take a hard wired solution with you if you move. :rolleyes:

Note: I have two plug in J1772 EVSEs myself (three if you count my daughter plugging in her Prius into 120v). For me, it's because I already had them and have two J1772 equipped cars besides the Tesla.

Hello all,

expecting delivery shortly and wondering which charger people are using? and why?

i called an electrician that installs plugs for tesla and he said that he would install the plug for the portable charger with adapter. When I asked about the wall charger installation and he had no idea what I was talking about LOL. This was a "tesla certified" installer and he didn't know what the wall charger was?

anyways..... would love to here your opinions.

Thanks
Jason
I installed a NEMA 14-50 (three actually) and for the Model 3 I purchased a second mobile connector. At $300 it is inexpensive and fully meets the need.

Hello all,

expecting delivery shortly and wondering which charger people are using? and why?

i called an electrician that installs plugs for tesla and he said that he would install the plug for the portable charger with adapter. When I asked about the wall charger installation and he had no idea what I was talking about LOL. This was a "tesla certified" installer and he didn't know what the wall charger was?

anyways..... would love to here your opinions.

Thanks
Jason

The best answer and if it is feasible and if you have the disposable income to do it. Install a Tesla wall connector with as much power as possible up to 100 amp circuit if you can. You'll thank me later at some point. Every other option is a compromise from there, just really depends on what you can live with.

Keep in mind that your home charging solution is not always an overnight solution. There are times when you're going to want to decrease your turnaround time. kids have to go to soccer practice? you want to go out again after you get home from work? Forgot to plug in the night before? Another EV gets added to your stable? Future-proofing is good when you can do it.

I would always recommend getting as much power as you possibly can to the location where your car or car's? are going to charge.

Reactions: Type 5 and RScottyL
The best answer and if it is feasible and if you have the disposable income to do it. Install a Tesla wall connector with as much power as possible up to 100 amp circuit if you can. You'll thank me later at some point. Every other option is a compromise from there, just really depends on what you can live with.

Keep in mind that your home charging solution is not always an overnight solution. There are times when you're going to want to decrease your turnaround time. kids have to go to soccer practice? you want to go out again after you get home from work? Forgot to plug in the night before? Another EV gets added to your stable? Future-proofing is good when you can do it.

I would always recommend getting as much power as you possibly can to the location where your car or car's? are going to charge.

The NEMA 14-50 has numerous advantages over the HPWC, one of the biggest is its versatility. You can use it to charge visiting SUVs, you can plug motor home into it, and a number of other options that may or may not ever occur.
The HPWC can indeed charge a little faster, I've never needed it though.

Probably one of the larger issues is that adding a 100A breaker may be somewhere between impossible to expensive. A 100A panel is common on older homes, so this would require new service. A 200A panel is common on most homes and taking 100A out is a big undertaking.

Reactions: Type 5
I guess I'm the odd duck in the crowd. When I first got my X I was planning to install a pair of wall connectors, one in the single car garage in the basement and one outside where I usually park. Being on the same circuit I would let them share a 100 amp connection in case I had two cars charging at once. But as I drove the car I realized that my usage pattern was such that charging at home provided little advantage. The location of chargers prevented me from easily reaching my max range before charging again, so I would always have to charge twice at Superchargers before returning home. So I stopped charging at home.

Recently they added a Supercharger near my destination, but it is still just another charging point where I need to spend time charging. I guess it can help me not charge as long to prepare for the trip home and I could then charge at home before the next trip. But I still don't really need to charge from anything other than a 120 volt outlet. It takes 3 days to charge up, but I have three days to charge, so a perfect fit! lol

Here is the one I use. I got the HPWC from the referral program. Having it on the garage center post lets us charge cars on either side of the post.

We them build a wallboarded box around the post and run the power from the breaker panel on the other side of the garage.

HPWC.jpg

Last edited:
The wall connector can be installed at I believe 13 different amperage settings up to a 100amp circuit.

The 14-50 certainly does allow you to plug in other things but I have to think welders and RVs are not in a lot of Tesla garages.
The outlet is another potential failure point and we have seen those posts of melted outlets.

I got by on a 14-30 the first 11 months I had my car, and a family emergency one time caused me to "need" but not have a faster option at home so I sprung for the wall connector. My 5yo S can charge at 80amps which is 58miles per hour, very rarely use it but really glad I have it when I do make use.

Very reasonable solution IMHO. Jus the sure to set the WC to a 50a breaker (40a max charge rate).

The wall connector can be installed at I believe 13 different amperage settings up to a 100amp circuit.

Yes, a Wall Connector does have an internal adjustment that’s suppose to be set based on a breaker, which I have done (50A). It’s my understanding that the built-in plug Wall Connector version didn’t have the option to adjust to a breaker; fixed at 50A. (Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.) If so, I’d probably opt for the non-plugin version and add a plug like I did for the option to hard wire it and crank up the amps in the future.

Yes, a Wall Connector does have an internal adjustment that’s suppose to be set based on a breaker, which I have done (50A). It’s my understanding that the built-in plug Wall Connector version didn’t have the option to adjust to a breaker; fixed at 50A. (Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.) If so, I’d probably opt for the non-plugin version and add a plug like I did for the option to hard wire it and crank up the amps in the future.

I don't recall the instructions, are you supposed to set it to the breaker current or the prorated value of 40 amps?

I went with a Wall Connector and later added a 14-50 outlet as a backup in case the Wall Connector stopped working.

Advantages of a Wall Connector:

1) My local utility gave me a $500 rebate for the Wall Connector but did not give a rebate for a 14-50 outlet.
2) There have been a few times where it has been nice to be able to add 44 miles per hour of charge instead of 30. For example, if I am out running my kids around for several hours during the day, and then I am supposed to go out at night, I like having the extra miles if I only have an hour or so to plug in.
3) For an outside installation, the Wall Connector is much more weather resistant than a standard UMC. I feel more comfortable charging in the rain using the Wall Connector than the UMC.

Level 1 @110v you'll have only 4mph charging and will need to stow your charging adapter or buy an additional adapter if you need to charge at your destination

Level 2 @240V you'll charge at a higher rate depending on your car. NEMA 14-50 is the least expensive option here. The electrician's cost will probably be the same to install the tesla charger but there is an additional cost for the tesla wall unit charger. My quotes for 100' of #6 to the garage ranged from $600 - $1100