Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which cybertruck did you preorder?

Which cybertruck did you pre order?

• Single motor

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Dual motor

Votes: 38 38.4%
  • Tri Motor

Votes: 60 60.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tri-Motor of course. Range is King. Forget the FSD. Save your money for the best range you can afford. By the way, I strongly in the camp That doesn’t believe in FSD. Never going happen in my opinion. I’ve experienced way to many scary moments just using AP system they have now. I will never trust it.

FSD might work someday in areas with good road markings with defined edges. However here in Wisconsin, lane markings are often faded since they're painted on so we can plow, roads might have crumbled edges, etc. It makes all lane assist systems i've tried so far unreliable. Honda Civic, Toyota Rav4, and another Honda. They work on the freshly paved highways, but after a year, the line contrast sucks and they just beep at you. We have ours turned off. However, adaptive cruise proves to be a wonderful feature.

I know the Tesla autopilot systems are probably a bit more advanced, so hopefully i'll be proven wrong. But i won't complain if i have to drive my super fast electric truck.

Last edited:
I had few pisodes of phantom braking with my curent model 3 even with latest software update. It mess my psych to put my total trust in FSD. I think FSD will be smart but not smart enough to deal with real world driving. I rather put extramoney in tesla stock than being a beta tester for tesla FSD:)

In fact. If tesla want to reach lvl 5 FSD faster, they should offer as a free feature from the start. Once beta testing is over, then make it into monthly subscription service. But then again it will piss off alot of owners who bought FSD.

To each his own I guess. But Tesla taking in large amount of money For FSD that will most likely never come or at a minimum way out in the future Is wrong to me. Crazy. For that matter, it’s amazing to me all the deposits they took In for the 2020 Roadster. Where is it? How about the deposits for the Semi. Where is it? Now some 700,000-800,000 deposits of 100.00 for a truck that is 3 years away. I do have a deposit on a CT, but it’s only 100.00, so no harm there. 75-80% of all deposits on the CT are from drivers who have never driven a truck, or a Tesla for that matter. I’ve had way to many critical failures just trying AP on the freeway. No way in hell I would trust FSD.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tanquen
Geez folks, this is a cT thread, not a bitch at Tesla for being Tesla thread.

Didn't anyone see what happened with the folks who got the original AutoPilot Model S's? Didn't anyone see all the money Tesla took in for the Model 3's? If you don't want to be a victim of Tesla, you were forwarned. Don't bitch if Tesla keeps doing the same stuff.

Plz go somewhere else. Try to find driving technology that is as fun to drive and as fun to chat about online. I'll be here happily experiencing the cool new Tesla stuff every week, thank you.

Reactions: wreighven
I don't tow so the dual felt like the best value proposition for light off-road (trail and sand), hauling and mostly commuter use. If towing over any distance, tri would be the only option and even then might not be enough.

Hello, i just joined TMC. I pre-ordered the Dual motor because thats what im likely to be able to afford, but realistically i would like to have the range of the Tri-motor and dont really care for the third motor. According to the cybertruck reservation tracker thing, im approximately 165k in line, so i anticipate to get it Mid to late 2022.

I put a deposit on the dual motor. I couldn't justify the extra money. Well I can but its called a Ducati upgrade :). I see several post about the extra range. More range = longer charge time and a bigger battery correct? If it were the same size battery then thats something to think about.

I put a deposit on the dual motor. I couldn't justify the extra money. Well I can but its called a Ducati upgrade :). I see several post about the extra range. More range = longer charge time and a bigger battery correct? If it were the same size battery then thats something to think about.

More range does require a larger battery, but not necessarily longer charge times. In fact, supercharging times will likely be faster since the charge rate will be able to stay higher longer. So the time to get the same number of miles added to the battery should be less with a larger battery vs. a smaller one.

Is this something that has been proven by observation? Does the LR Tesla Model 3 charge as fast as the SR? I know the TM3 charges faster than the TMS/X at a Supercharger, but that could be due to the different battery capabilities. It doesn't seem intuitive what you are saying unless we are talking 20 miles of range to 100 miles of range, if we are talking 5% to 80% the SR should finish sooner as less electricity was transferred, 80% of 50kWh vs 80% of 75kWh. There may be a short time when the LR is charging at a higher rate, but it has so much more energy to transfer. But I don't have much experience with a SR, perhaps you are correct.

I guess it depends on your needs. I charge my M3 every night, wake up to a full battery. I have enough charge to go to work n back each day. I would do the same thing with a Cybertruck. I guess if I was on the road and needed to use public chargers, Id see the point. Im also assuming that the battery is bigger. No clue how a battery of the same size can offer 300 mi vs 500 mi.

Anything could change and Ill probably test drive one to see the difference.

2nd TessP100D. FSD has had too many hypes and few have come true. Today it is still barely more than an adaptive cruise control. I have seen how it wandered in a private parking lot trying to find the owner. So I told myself: forget about it until 3 years after it is released if it ever will be. I am not a truck guy neither am I fond of any big vehicles, but I like an ev with plenty of range with reasonable usability. And that is the only reason I put down money for a tri-motor. By plenty of range I mean 5hours of nonstop highway driving under reasonable conditions (I.e. mid to low teens temperatures, 20mph headwind/crosswind, heating etc). That will probably require a 500mile EPA. Don't call me unreasonable, I live in southern Ontario. At the beginning of 2020, we had a week straight of -10F low at nights and sub 15F high during the day with northwest winds blowing at 30km/h and gusting to 45km/h. And such weather is pretty common here.