TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Which Lug Wrench and Jack

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ElectricAvenue, Dec 8, 2013.

1. ElectricAvenue

I purchased winter tires and wheels so I have decided to use these as my "spare" tires when I get a flat.
    They will be kept at home so all that will be needed is a phone call to a family member to go pick one up and deliver it to the MS when it has a flat.

That being said, what is Lug Wrench and Jack would I need to replace a wheel on the MS?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The bolt heads are 21 mm. Rangers use a three ton jack. For occasional use you could get by with a two ton which are common and less expensive. If you want to take it with you there are jacks that weigh only 32 lbs. They are not particularly cheap though.

3. muleferg

muleferg Member

You need a big lug wrench. The torque is very high on the Tesla. I would go to Tire Rack and try one on your Tesla before purchase.

4. scottm

scottm Active Member

You can also get these "air bag" jacks that fold flat and are lightweight.. for occasional use (emergency tire change). They slip under the car and are inflated by connecting a hose to your exhaust pipe.. . .. oh, never mind.

The frunk in my Classic 85 can hold a full size spare and jack. I seldom use the frunk for anything anyway. And the wheel in there adds extra crash absorption, if needed.

5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

6. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

You are at the max capacity of that jack. I would get one that is rated higher.

7. tomp

tomp Member

I got this jack, plus this and this. Since I only plan to use it for emergencies, I felt it was a reasonable compromise. Is there a better, small-size jack? I didn't want to lug around a floor jack all the time.

8. ddimit

ddimit Member

While that maybe ok for removing the lugs. Your going to need a adjustable torque wrench to re-tighen to 129ft lbs. do not do it by hand. You will either not tighten enough or over tighten and risk striping the threads

9. linkster

linkster Member

#9 linkster, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    1. 18-24" breaker bar
    2. 21mm socket (MUST be a 6 point!)
    3. at least a 2 1/2 ton (alum or steel) floor jack as they are far more stable/safe than a scissors jack

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

11. aus

aus Member

#11 aus, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    Don't waste your time with those scissor jacks.
    I got an aluminum jack at Costco for around $100 or you can find something at Harbor Freight. You can also get a 1/2" torque wrench there too for around $30 if you're only going to be using it occasionally.
    The Tire Rack jack is very solid but it's pretty big too. It wouldn't be easy to throw in a car to use if you had a flat.

12. linkster

linkster Member

+1 !

(I do keep a scissor in the S for roadside emergency spare tire replacement ONLY)

13. David99

David99 Active Member

I would highly recommend getting a torque wrench. I just had someone overtighten my lug nuts using a power wrench. The lug nuts got deformed and the threads damaged. Total cost to replace wheels hubs and lug nuts: $1700 plus tax. Tesla can't replace just the studs, only the entire hub.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I was lucky, they only wrecked the nuts on mine. Now I have two sets of wheels so I never have to have anyone else do it.

15. Nevek

Nevek Overt Member

Every time I could use a torque wrench, I don't have one, and every time I think of buying one, I don't really need it! (Pre-S)

But you guys have convinced me to splurge, thanks for all the info.

16. MajesticSound

MajesticSound Up is LOUDER

I got this socket from Summit Racing and really like it. Just the right amount of extension and a 6 point for a good fit

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SXT-284321

17. aus

aus Member

Here's Harbor Freight's Black Friday add.
    There's a low profile floor jack on the front page- it looks to be steel, so it's going to be heavy but solid.
    There's a torque wrench and air compressor on the second page.
    On the third page, there's a simple air compressor hose or a wall mount hose.
    All are worth getting.

Harbor Freight Black Friday 2015 Ad Scans | Slickdeals

That's a nice socket!! Thin walled, with a plastic cover to it won't scratch the wheel and the extension looks about perfert for most cars. I had to buy a 3" extension for my cars.
    Any idea how much shipping was?

18. tomp

tomp Member

At least for me, having a jack for roadside emergencies is the reason I'm asking about jacks! For all those who poo-poo scissors jacks, what do you carry with you in the event of a flat??

19. linkster

linkster Member

Sorry for the (my) :confused: confusion. I carry a 3,000 lb rated scissor jack with me in the car for emergency roadside tire replacement.

20. aus

aus Member

I'd call AAA if I had a flat.
    There are WAY too many accidents on people trying to change their tire or just parked on the side of the road.
    Not worth the danger where I live at least.