Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which one to buy RWD or AWD

Which one to buy

• LR AWD

Votes: 51 44.3%
  • LR RWD

Votes: 64 55.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already have an order placed with old prices for LR RWD -52,500 (1,500 for damn color). The new LR AWD is costing 54,500(black). Should I switch and go with AWD or save $2000 and keep my RWD. This is already stretching the budget. Any help in pushing me over the cliff is appreciated... :).

I already have an order placed with old prices for LR RWD -52,500 (1,500 for damn color). The new LR AWD is costing 54,500(black). Should I switch and go with AWD or save $2000 and keep my RWD. This is already stretching the budget. Any help in pushing me over the cliff is appreciated... :).

If you plan to visit snowy, icy regions, I would take AWD, otherwise, RWD is just fine.

Too many people think AWD helps with stopping or steering, that's not what it does. So when navigating hazardous conditions, it isn't a safety option.

AWD helps your vehicle move, which can get you out of places you might get stuck, but once you're moving, it's up to your tires. Hence getting snow tires > AWD on all seasons.

RWD is off menu due to battery constraints, they simply make more profit margin off of AWD since the cost of the motor is something like $800 or less. That said, $2000 isn't a lot more for more power (over a 3 or 5 year term).

If this is make or break, then don't exceed your budget. RWD has longer range than AWD, weighs less, and costs less. While AWD can be more fun with faster acceleration.

Here are ranges based on a dyno (important to elevation and wind patterns don't change results) so you can compare ("D" = dual motor):

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

RWD should be EPA rated at 332 miles, while AWD should be listed at 309

Last edited:
I have the AWD and upgraded from RWD for weather traction, performance and also as a back up motor to avoid being stranded if a motor went down. If those are worth $2000 for you then go for it. I would not hesitate to get the RWD if those things are not needed as the extra range, lighter weight and lower cost are worthwhile themselves.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hiline and IdaX
I have the AWD and upgraded from RWD for weather traction, performance and also as a back up motor to avoid being stranded if a motor went down. If those are worth $2000 for you then go for it. I would not hesitate to get the RWD if those things are not needed as the extra range, lighter weight and lower cost are worthwhile themselves.

Despite Tesla's statements to the contrary, I've not heard of a single instance where the front motor was operational if the Rear motor failed. In every instance I've seen, the car was inoperational. I have heard of an AWD going into limp mode when the front motor failed, but that's no better off that if you had RWD alone.

Too many people think AWD helps with stopping or steering, that's not what it does. So when navigating hazardous conditions, it isn't a safety option.

AWD helps your vehicle move, which can get you out of places you might get stuck, but once you're moving, it's up to your tires. Hence getting snow tires > AWD on all seasons.

RWD is off menu due to battery constraints, they simply make more profit margin off of AWD since the cost of the motor is something like $800 or less. That said, $2000 isn't a lot more for more power (over a 3 or 5 year term).

If this is make or break, then don't exceed your budget. RWD has longer range than AWD, weighs less, and costs less. While AWD can be more fun with faster acceleration.

Here are ranges based on a dyno (important to elevation and wind patterns don't change results) so you can compare ("D" = dual motor):

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

RWD should be EPA rated at 332 miles, while AWD should be listed at 309

Simply not true and frankly not taking advice from someone in Miami about winter performance driving. I have fishtailed on inclines when already underway multiple times with RWD cars because driving only the rear wheels is struggling to overcome traction limitations with the weight of the entire car pushing against it.

This doesn't happen with AWD cars and has nothing to do with "once you're moving it's up to your tires".

Now in Houston I would probably get RWD and be happy with it but the AWD has quite a bit more acceleration.

I could take delivery on a RWD right now, and put it on hold to switch to AWD after the price change.

I don't think most people really need AWD, but at the new price of only $2k more it seems a bit silly not to get it on a car that is otherwise going to cost you $50k.

Now if you don't want autopilot or AWD you can still save more going with RWD for as long as they keep selling them, but if you're already paying the $3k for autopilot it isn't much more to get AWD which comes with it. I suspect it will increase the resale value of the car, besides providing immediate benefit.

I've got an RWD LR in Atlanta and extremely happy with it. Tesla tends to have superior traction control, even in the snow, as a number of videos have shown.

It's got the longest range and less electronics to fail. That should also make it a more reliable car.

Also, that was the ONLY car sold until the mid of last year when the dual started to ship. So there's a lot of them on the road.

I could take delivery on a RWD right now, and put it on hold to switch to AWD after the price change.

I don't think most people really need AWD, but at the new price of only $2k more it seems a bit silly not to get it on a car that is otherwise going to cost you $50k.

Now if you don't want autopilot or AWD you can still save more going with RWD for as long as they keep selling them, but if you're already paying the $3k for autopilot it isn't much more to get AWD which comes with it. I suspect it will increase the resale value of the car, besides providing immediate benefit.
Silly? So an additional 20+ miles of range is silly. If you noticed where the posters in this thread list as residences, many of them like me live where icy roads is a non-factor. I’ll take the additional range over 4WD any day and I’m not silly.

Some day soon range will be 400 or more miles and at that point 20 miles may be mostly irrelevant, but that day hasn’t arrived. Range is still king for me and many others.

It is a slippery slope. You have to draw a line somewhere.
Is AWD essential to you?
If yes, you need to buy it.
If not, don't waste more money.
Can you not become jealous of other model 3 with non-black paint for the duration of your ownership of a black model 3?
If yes, save money and get a black one.
If no, keep the current order.