Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Phone Do You Use As A Key?

Which Phone Do You Use As A Key?

• Android - it works 100%

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • Android - it works most of the time

Votes: 30 14.2%
  • Android - it’s not very reliable

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • iPhone - it works 100%

Votes: 104 49.3%
  • iPhone - it works most of the time

Votes: 21 10.0%
  • iPhone - it’s not very reliable

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I use the keycard all the time

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I use the Tesla key fob

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I voted IPhone - most of time, even though 100% of the time I’ve been able to unlock the car without resorting to the key card.

The reason I voted most of time is because nowadays I have to get the phone AAALLLL the way out of my pocket to wake it such that the screen turns on (though I don’t need to unlock it) before the car lets me in.

I’m guessing here, but this is probably something to do with iOS sticking the Bluetooth radio into sleep mode if it’s not been woken up in a few minutes as it seems fine when I’m actually using my device.

It’s been this way since maybe the turn of the year?

The reason I voted most of time is because nowadays I have to get the phone AAALLLL the way out of my pocket

It’s been this way since maybe the turn of the year?

Whilst I rarely have to turn the screen on, this is similar to my experience. We took 2019.36.2.4 (most people skipped that and took 2019.40.x a week or so later) early December and since then, car has regularly been reluctant to open the doors in a timely manner. Usually by time I have opened the app the car has allowed me in, but on couple of occasions, its been long enough that I reverted to the key card.

Only ever used the key fob since buying the car. Works flawlessly, just stick in my pocket and the car always unlocks, starts, etc with no hassle at all. My only criticism of the fob is if you try and use it in traditional remote mode, as there is a distinct knack in getting the button pushes to work well; even now it sometimes takes a couple of goes to get the frunk or boot to open. Most of the time I just use it much the same as the phone, except, unlike the phone, I don't need to remember to turn the fob on.

Only ever used the key fob since buying the car. Works flawlessly, just stick in my pocket and the car always unlocks, starts, etc with no hassle at all. My only criticism of the fob is if you try and use it in traditional remote mode, as there is a distinct knack in getting the button pushes to work well; even now it sometimes takes a couple of goes to get the frunk or boot to open. Most of the time I just use it much the same as the phone, except, unlike the phone, I don't need to remember to turn the fob on.

I use the keyfob all the time with keycard as an emergency alternative.
I've not bothered setting my phone as a key as the fob is also part of the keyring for my house keys - don't ever want to forget them!.
I solved the problem of the fob being too small and where to press it by getting a cheap silicon rubber cover.
It has markings for the three button areas: front trunk, car lock itself & boot.
All work easy for me even the long-press on the boot opens the charge port.
It was darned expensive but worth it for me.

Bored iPhone 100% working. I have obviously assumed it's just as a key and not the app which clearly isn't waking the car at the moment for many, me included. The other thing I've left out of the equation is a flat phone battery as that's clearly not a fault of Tesla. It's never happened to me but it has the wife, luckily I made her but a card in her purse.

Not sure whether it's my Battery settings or what but I've had a couple of failed attempted with my Note 20 Ultra. As soon as I take the phone out of my pocket though it opens the car.

Typical android, far more functionality than an iPhone but you do have to put the time in to set it up. I'll make sure I have the Tesla app excluded from all power saving functions.

I have to toggle Bluetooth off and on again about a third to half the time I want to open the car. iPhone. Stupid. And at the in-laws' place, it's near 100% of the time so I've given up and use the keycard there. Have to remember to manually lock, after that.
Bluetooth phone key is something I point out to people as being a downside of the car, even if some people have no trouble with it.

A case not covered in the poll is that the Android phone as a key sometimes fails, but tapping the phone against the B-pillar (using NFC) always works. I have only learned this a short while ago, but I'm under the impression that the phone tends to fail where it has no good internet connection, but then NFC still works.

I know, I know, it should work through Bluetooth, but I still get the impression that it sometimes fails where the phone has a weak or no internet. I'm not sure and have no idea why this could be so.

In any case, I am happy that NFC is always there if all else fails. I still carry the key card as a general backup. The phone's battery could run dry, the phone could break or get lost, etc.

A case not covered in the poll is that the Android phone as a key sometimes fails, but tapping the phone against the B-pillar (using NFC) always works. I have only learned this a short while ago, but I'm under the impression that the phone tends to fail where it has no good internet connection, but then NFC still works.

I know, I know, it should work through Bluetooth, but I still get the impression that it sometimes fails where the phone has a weak or no internet. I'm not sure and have no idea why this could be so.

In any case, I am happy that NFC is always there if all else fails. I still carry the key card as a general backup. The phone's battery could run dry, the phone could break or get lost, etc.
Agreed, the plus side of using Android is you can set up an NFC key AND a bluetooth key. Should always see you right there.

• Informative
Reactions: MadScientist
Agreed, the plus side of using Android is you can set up an NFC key AND a bluetooth key. Should always see you right there.
Interesting poll. It would seem that almost twice as many Tesla users use Apple rather than Android and Andriod seems to give more problems. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of Android users by version, age and Make of phone. I have a Galaxy S10+ and listed myself as no problem whatsoever. I have not tried NFC entry but will do so today. I also wonder what people are calling a problem. Sometimes my car takes 15 to 20 seconds to respond if it is in deep sleep. Some people might register that as a problem.

Interesting poll. It would seem that almost twice as many Tesla users use Apple rather than Android and Andriod seems to give more problems. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of Android users by version, age and Make of phone. I have a Galaxy S10+ and listed myself as no problem whatsoever. I have not tried NFC entry but will do so today. I also wonder what people are calling a problem. Sometimes my car takes 15 to 20 seconds to respond if it is in deep sleep. Some people might register that as a problem.
I would expect more Tesla owners to own iPhones than android phones. Both have a "fanboi" type image. People seem more prepared to forego poor functionality or sacrificing standard features for the image of owning both products. IN both cases people seem ready to defend things that are missing or don't work because it's the "cool" device to have.