Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Portable Compressor to Buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to purchase a portable air compressor for my Model S in the chance I get a flat on the road. I already have the Safety Seal Auto/Light Truck kit. I looked at many compressors and believe I’ve narrowed it down to the VIAIR models 70P, 77P or 85P but open to other suggestions. All operate by plugging into the 15 amp cigarette lighter power port but have read some owners report it blew their fuse. Also, if I purchased a compressor that connects the power leads to the battery can I connect to the Posts behind the Nose Cone? Any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated.

I bought an inflator last week from Amazon...a Slime 40022. I saw your VIAIR choices and I think they are all great based on reviews I read. My reasons for picking the Slime unit instead: I've driven more than 500,000 miles without a flat (sweet!), it is small and only weighs 1 pound (less cargo space needed), has a digital pressure gauge that lets me set the desired pressure and it shuts itself off (I have a touch of A.D.D.).
I can understand your desire to go directly to the connections behind the nose cone, but I wouldn't want to deal with the nose cone and disconnecting the sensors, especially if conditions were cold, dark, wet, etc. (and yes I know how to take the nose cone off without using any tools).

I've driven more than 500,000 miles without a flat (sweet!), it is small and only weighs 1 pound (less cargo space needed), has a digital pressure gauge that lets me set the desired pressure and it shuts itself off (I have a touch of A.D.D.).
My average in the Model S has been 10,000 miles between flats. They must really keep the nails and screws off the roads where you live.

I carry one of those jumpstart kits with inflator when I go on trips (and some plugs), but I'm still looking for a lightweight inflation system that will inflate in a reasonable amount of time. Most are about one hour per tire.

Quite happy with the Tesla compressor, also known as the Tire Repair Kit (the compressor is completely independent of the tire sealant, which I don't plan to ever use if I can help it.) It plugs into the 12V outlet next to the USB ports. Have been using this for over a year to keep my tires at the recommended pressure without having to visit gas stations.

Reactions: Gt1948
Purchased at Auto Zone. No flats on the Tesla, 13,689 miles. I have used it on a trailer with 4 tons of rock. Worked fine. Also used on Bikes,

Attachments

• Z0rBpykcpEx_.JPG
    Z0rBpykcpEx_.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 146
I got the Slime 70005, which is similar to what Tesla sells but quite a bit cheaper on Amazon. The unit is one piece but it is optional to use the sealant which is nice. I drive a lot and have only had to use use a spare on one car where the tire blew.