TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Which Portable Compressor to Buy?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by NorCalSJ, Mar 14, 2016.

1. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

I decided to purchase a portable air compressor for my Model S in the chance I get a flat on the road. I already have the Safety Seal Auto/Light Truck kit. I looked at many compressors and believe I’ve narrowed it down to the VIAIR models 70P, 77P or 85P but open to other suggestions. All operate by plugging into the 15 amp cigarette lighter power port but have read some owners report it blew their fuse. Also, if I purchased a compressor that connects the power leads to the battery can I connect to the Posts behind the Nose Cone? Any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated.

2. Terminator

Terminator Member

I bought an inflator last week from Amazon...a Slime 40022. I saw your VIAIR choices and I think they are all great based on reviews I read. My reasons for picking the Slime unit instead: I've driven more than 500,000 miles without a flat (sweet!), it is small and only weighs 1 pound (less cargo space needed), has a digital pressure gauge that lets me set the desired pressure and it shuts itself off (I have a touch of A.D.D.).
    I can understand your desire to go directly to the connections behind the nose cone, but I wouldn't want to deal with the nose cone and disconnecting the sensors, especially if conditions were cold, dark, wet, etc. (and yes I know how to take the nose cone off without using any tools).

3. NorCalSJ

NorCalSJ Member

I know their are owners out there with compressors.....a little feedback would be appreciated!

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

My average in the Model S has been 10,000 miles between flats. They must really keep the nails and screws off the roads where you live.

I carry one of those jumpstart kits with inflator when I go on trips (and some plugs), but I'm still looking for a lightweight inflation system that will inflate in a reasonable amount of time. Most are about one hour per tire.

5. thecloud

thecloud As rhythm raced inside, the ship came alive

Quite happy with the Tesla compressor, also known as the Tire Repair Kit (the compressor is completely independent of the tire sealant, which I don't plan to ever use if I can help it.) It plugs into the 12V outlet next to the USB ports. Have been using this for over a year to keep my tires at the recommended pressure without having to visit gas stations.

6. muleferg

muleferg Member

Purchased at Auto Zone. No flats on the Tesla, 13,689 miles. I have used it on a trailer with 4 tons of rock. Worked fine. Also used on Bikes,

Attached Files: