Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Snows and Why Poll?

Which Snow Poll

• Michelin X-Ice XI3

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Nokian R3

Votes: 62 22.7%
  • Nokian WR G3

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Nokian WR G4

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Continental ContiWinterContact

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • Vredestein Wintrac Pro

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Vredestein Quatrac 5 Tires

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Blizzak LM-32

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Blizzak LM001

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Pirelli Sottozero 3

Votes: 25 9.2%
  • Pirelli Sottozero 2

Votes: 21 7.7%
  • Other

Votes: 26 9.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve driven the M3 once in snow, with X-ICE, and it was just as relaxing and uneventful as my STI can be.

Yes, with aggresive winter tires the P3D or AWD would be a monster in the snow and ice. The main limiting factor is the relatively low ground clearance. I outfitted my P3D with Pirelli Sottozero 2's which are not known to have class-leading traction and it's a great snow machine. I attribute it to the car making the most of limited traction. It's not about power, it's about finess. I've driven Subaru, Volvo, Mazda and VW AWD's and FWD's in the snow and the Tesla P3D reacts more quickly and has a lighter, more sensitive touch in the snow than any of them. In some conditions the extra weight over some of the lighter snow cars I've had is a slight disadvantage but the superior DSTC, low center of gravity, mass centralization and limited body roll more than makes up for it. It just plain goes.

... If you enter the corner fast and try to pitch it sideways with trailing throttle or regen, it will try to keep you pointed straight. I'm on public roads and want to navigate them quickly and in control (even if on the edge of control), not looking like a teenager who is showing off. The Model 3 wasn't programmed for those kind of antics (and they are not the fastest way around a corner anyway). It's the most competent car I've ever driven in the snow

But why would anyone modify their driving technique to extract the best out of the most technologically advanced car on the market?? /sarcasm

PREACH, brotha! Thumbsup!!

Reactions: StealthP3D
Been running the Nokian WRG4s for the past month on 18" aeros on my LR AWD Model 3. Have had it in heavy rain, some light snow, and some packed snow/ice on short, not plowed roads in the Northern California Sierras over the past few weeks. Car feels super competent on the tires in inclement weather so far and has never given me any pause.

Wanted to provide an update. Took the car up to Kirkwood yesterday via Highway 88. Temps were in the mid to high 20s F and there was some snow/ice on the ground, although the plows were running. Had some areas that hadn't been plowed since the previous night, after the plows pulled over to let us through. The car performed without a hiccup. Car felt super competent throughout the whole thing and the WRG4s performance flawlessly. Just wish it had another 10-20kWh to better handle inclement weather and big/long grades without running through so much of the battery.

I saved $40 a tire going with 225/45/18 Pirelli Sottozero 3s from Tire Rack. They were only $140 a tire after a rebate where the 235/45/18s were $180. The load rating on the 225s is 95 instead of 98, but for my LR RWD, it is still within the limit.

The wheels I picked were 18 x 7.5 (Enkei EKM3 in gunmetal). The OEM Aeros are 18 x 8.5. It seems the stock 235 width tires would max out what a 7.5 inch wide wheel can take. And apparently narrower tires can be slightly better in the snow. So I went for the 225s. The diameter will be .3 inches smaller, but I can’t imagine this will cause any meaningful issues. This is my first time buying new wheels or experimenting with different tire sizes. So any feedback would be appreciated on why my thinking is right or wrong.

I saved $40 a tire going with 225/45/18 Pirelli Sottozero 3s from Tire Rack. They were only $140 a tire after a rebate where the 235/45/18s were $180. The load rating on the 225s is 95 instead of 98, but for my LR RWD, it is still within the limit.

The wheels I picked were 18 x 7.5 (Enkei EKM3 in gunmetal). The OEM Aeros are 18 x 8.5. It seems the stock 235 width tires would max out what a 7.5 inch wide wheel can take. And apparently narrower tires can be slightly better in the snow. So I went for the 225s. The diameter will be .3 inches smaller, but I can’t imagine this will cause any meaningful issues. This is my first time buying new wheels or experimenting with different tire sizes. So any feedback would be appreciated on why my thinking is right or wrong.

Load range on tires is based on the Maximum Tire pressure. You need to derate the load range based on the recommended tire pressure. Load range also not chosen just based on static weight.

Can you use a tire with a lower tire load index than the original manufacture tires?

Thanks to this thread, definitely getting the X-ice as soon as they go on sale at Costco. Got an extra set of wheels from Craigslist to put to use.

I'm in the same boat. Picked up a set of silver 19" slipstreams and planning on getting XIce3. I had them on my minivan (pre Tesla) and it made that vehicle usable in the smallest amount of snow whereas before I wouldn't even attempt taking that car out.

I wanted to reiterate, the Nokian R3s have been amazing but they are very noisy. This is the reason I would sacrifice some grip for the xice or continental . I've never been impressed with the xice performance overall, but they've always worn well and been very quiet for a winter tire.

I wanted to reiterate, the Nokian R3s have been amazing but they are very noisy. This is the reason I would sacrifice some grip for the xice or continental . I've never been impressed with the xice performance overall, but they've always worn well and been very quiet for a winter tire.

I tend to agree. When you are going to have to live with whatever you put on your car for the duration of the winter season you want to think long and hard about how it makes your car drive on those days you are not encountering significant snow or ice. During the 12 years that I bought extreme condition winter tires like the Nokian R3's I hated them on bare pavement. It wasn't just the noise, it was their grip and cornering performance too. Of course, they were wonderful when actually in the snow and ice but, then again, a less extreme winter tire might surprise you with it's snow and ice capabilities. I was so anxious to get them off my car when the days started getting longer that I ended up in some pretty bad winter storms without winter tires on.

Last winter I ran the Pirelli Sottozero II's which gave me plenty of confidence, even in atrocious winter conditions. They are heads and shoulders above any non-winter tire, even better than winter-rated mud and snow tires. But they handle every bit as good as a performance all-season radial on bare or bare/wet pavement. They are smooth and quiet, they grip tenaciously and return excellent winter range. I am no longer anxious to get them off as soon as the days start getting longer - I only remove them to extend their tread life. They are a perfect match for an AWD Model 3. I would even put them on a RWD Model 3 for winter use unless I had to climb particularly steep and icy driveways/roads. Most roads are not steep enough to concern me. On an AWD it's simply not ever a concern. And I love the way they make the car drive. I never thought I would be saying THAT about a winter tire!

Reactions: ALSETJC
I tend to agree. When you are going to have to live with whatever you put on your car for the duration of the winter season you want to think long and hard about how it makes your car drive on those days you are not encountering significant snow or ice. During the 12 years that I bought extreme condition winter tires like the Nokian R3's I hated them on bare pavement. It wasn't just the noise, it was their grip and cornering performance too. Of course, they were wonderful when actually in the snow and ice but, then again, a less extreme winter tire might surprise you with it's snow and ice capabilities. I was so anxious to get them off my car when the days started getting longer that I ended up in some pretty bad winter storms without winter tires on.

Last winter I ran the Pirelli Sottozero II's which gave me plenty of confidence, even in atrocious winter conditions. They are heads and shoulders above any non-winter tire, even better than winter-rated mud and snow tires. But they handle every bit as good as a performance all-season radial on bare or bare/wet pavement. They are smooth and quiet, they grip tenaciously and return excellent winter range. I am no longer anxious to get them off as soon as the days start getting longer - I only remove them to extend their tread life. They are a perfect match for an AWD Model 3. I would even put them on a RWD Model 3 for winter use unless I had to climb particularly steep and icy driveways/roads. Most roads are not steep enough to concern me. On an AWD it's simply not ever a concern. And I love the way they make the car drive. I never thought I would be saying THAT about a winter tire!

I agree with everything in this post :)

• Helpful
Reactions: StealthP3D
Looks like Bridgestone has a new updated Blizzak, the WS90 that’s replacing all the other WS variants. I used the very same set of WS80s on my Infiniti G37xS (3 winters) and on my 3P (had tires installed on 18” TSTs) and got one last season out of them. But now they’re totally dead and need replacement. Their effectiveness took a nosedive once the treads got down to a certain wear point.

Pretty much narrowing it down to the xi3 and the newer-compound WS90. xi3 has a 40k warranty, and based on that alone, I my go with them this time. I still have a few weeks to decide before things get real here in Chicago.

Can anyone offer firsthand experience with both the xi3 and the WS80? The WS90 just came out in May and from all accounts it seems better than its predecessor, but it’s too new to compare.

:)

Has anyone actually run the Nokian R3’s yet?

How is tire noise compared to any of the OEM tires.

In winter every tire with a snow rating is better than every tire without that explicit rating. You are very unlikely to make a significant mistake here.

In SUV/pickup I used to assume that tires with aggressive treads were almost as good as snow rated tires. Once I bought similar looking tires with an actual snow rating I found out I was wrong.

In winter every tire with a snow rating is better than every tire without that explicit rating. You are very unlikely to make a significant mistake here.

In SUV/pickup I used to assume that tires with aggressive treads were almost as good as snow rated tires. Once I bought similar looking tires with an actual snow rating I found out I was wrong.

I agree, any Snow rated tire is better than non Snow rated. But there is still a wide range of choices of snow tires with lots of trade offs.

Just comparing some attributes with popular choices.

Noise (X-Ice will do better than an R3)
Efficiency (X-Ice, R3 will do better than Sottozero, counter intuitive)
Grip when dry (Sottozero will do better than X-Ice, R3)
Grip when wet (Sottozero will do better than X-Ice, R3)
Longevity (X-Ice, R3 will do better than Sottozero)
Handling (Dry/Wet) (Sottozero will do better than X-Ice, R3)
Ice (X-Ice, R3 will do better than Sottozero)
Deep Snow (X-Ice, R3 will do better than Sottozero)

One tire can't do it all.

We need "Speed Racer" tires (Button B) . I'm really dating my self, aren't I.

It would be great if the answer is to just get the best snow tires, but it's not that simple since even in some northern locales, like where I live, the roads are 95% of the time, clear of snow. What if you're on a road, cold but snow-free, and a deer jumps out at you. You might be able to avoid that deer if you had performance snows, that could help you swerve and avoid that deer, as opposed to the best snows, that would be less adept at avoidance maneuvers given the softer tread blocks. So, the answer is never cut-and-dried. It requires careful consideration of your local roads and driving conditions.

Agreed. While I will say hands down that Nokian Hakkas are the best performing tires in deep snow, 99% of the winter I am driving on wet or dry pavement. Only you know what your own situation is (if you have a long steep unplowed driveway then better performing snow tires are more important).
I will reiterate that while my Blizzak LM001s performed decently in deep snow, I was fully amazed at how quiet they also were, and actually had much better high performance grip than stock all seasons on dry pavement as well. Looks like they are not available any more? Too bad...paying a bit more for the higher tier was well worth it.

Reactions: KenC
I agree, any Snow rated tire is better than non Snow rated. But there is still a wide range of choices of snow tires with lots of trade offs.

Just comparing some attributes with popular choices.

Noise (X-Ice will do better than an R3)
Efficiency (X-Ice, R3 will do better than Sottozero, counter intuitive)
Grip when dry (Sottozero will do better than X-Ice, R3)
Grip when wet (Sottozero will do better than X-Ice, R3)
Longevity (X-Ice, R3 will do better than Sottozero)
Handling (Dry/Wet) (Sottozero will do better than X-Ice, R3)
Ice (X-Ice, R3 will do better than Sottozero)
Deep Snow (X-Ice, R3 will do better than Sottozero)

One tire can't do it all.

We need "Speed Racer" tires (Button B) . I'm really dating my self, aren't I.

I agree with most of what you say here except for the efficiency. I think the Sottozero, at least the 3s will be as good, or better, than the X-Ice. Also, you left the Sottozero off of the noise where it's pretty comparable to X-Ice in my opinion.

I agree with most of what you say here except for the efficiency. I think the Sottozero, at least the 3s will be as good, or better, than the X-Ice. Also, you left the Sottozero off of the noise where it's pretty comparable to X-Ice in my opinion.

Not according to European Standard Ratings.

Actually, Sottozero 3 are rated pretty poorly on fuel. See Post #18 in this thread (sorry could not link it)

Nokian Graded B (2nd best rating of any type tire) on Fuel, Sottozero 3 Graded E (3rd from worst grade)

Again, not intuitive, don't go by your gut feeling.

What you get in return on Sottorzero is great wet braking.

Like was said, there is no one perfect tire. What's more important wet braking or efficiency?

However, that Continental WinterContact TS (in that same #18 post in this thread) does seem to have it all, but you cannot get it in Model 3 Sizing and is not available in the USA at all.