Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Tesla can beat most sports cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much faster is the Performance vs Dual Motor? Will I notice a huge difference if say someone didn't tell me I was in a Performance and I assumed I was in a Dual Motor? I just wonder if the cost savings was worth not getting Performance.

Like what kind of customer decides they want to get a Performance over the base model / Dual Motor? Like someone who is like, "It's not that much more" or someone that's like "I really want extra speed / performance and don't mind paying extra for it".

I just did a Street Legal drag on Friday (my first and probably only) just to see what my AWD 3 can do, and as it happened, one of my matches was my Model 3 Dual Motor vs a Model 3 Dual Motor Performance (Stealth)

My car: Model 3 Dual Motor with 18" aero wheels (covers removed) and Primacy MXM4 tires
The other car: Model 3 Performance with 18" aero wheels (covers on) - I didn't get the tires but assuming they are the MXM4 all seasons as well.

The 1/4 mile times of Tesla 3D vs Tesla Stealth P3D:
Model 3 AWD=12.4561 [email protected] MPH, Model 3 Stealth P3D=11.7064 [email protected] MPH

My best time in 3D was 12.4438 [email protected] MPH (vs BMW M550i 12.4682 [email protected] MPH)
The Stealth P3D driver's best time was the match with me, looking at his times he ranged from 11.7064 sec to 11.8334 sec

---

As to why someone would pick one over the other, it depends on what you want the car for. Some people will pay extra for the little bit of performance and the piece of mind that they got the best that is available, while others just get the car for the practicality. When I got mine the P3D price was more than I wanted to pay considering I don't need the performance. However the P3D is not all that much more today, and if offered to pay the current difference for a "software uncork" I might actually spring for it now.

DM/LR is ~ 1sec slower than P3. I’ve ran against a P3. It was close to neck and neck over an 1/8 mile. The reality is, you will take just about ANY “high end” ICE off the line and hold a lead UNTIL they’ve ranged through all gears and overcome you. It’s what I’ve experienced and read.

Replace what I said with “mid-11s” and nothing changes.

That said, nearly every single report I’ve come across shows the stock P3D is incredibly consistent at 11.7-11.8.

So if someone cracked off an 11.5, it was either a fluke/unicorn or had a bunch of weight removed - neither indicative of repeatable real-world performance.
I’ve run an 11.63 in P3D-. And i think you are correct. Rear seats were taken out for the guy that got 11.5.

Reactions: groovidad
There is a rated difference of 1.2 seconds 0-60. I think you'd feel that..

Not to nitpick but it needs to be clarified that the actual rated difference is closer to 0.8/0.9 seconds. The 1.2 seconds is an apples to oranges metric because the official P3D rating Tesla displays is using a 1 foot rollout but the LR AWD is not. LR AWD with 1 foot rollout is about 4 seconds flat to 60 as has been shown by multiple sources. With that said the P3D is still noticeably faster, atleast to 60. Beyond 60 or 70, they are going to feel more similar though the P3D might pull a tad harder. In a roll race between them, it would come down more to whoever get's the jump first / reaction time.

As for the OP's question, just look at the numbers and you can compare that against cars on 0-60 times or dragtimes. But even then, the LR AWD at a stop light is going to dust most other cars that may be technically faster just because of pure reaction time and not needing to be good at launching. All it takes is a driver in a technically quicker car who isn't skilled at launching or maybe a bit slow to react to be easily left behind by the time you reach highway speeds. The 3 is consistently quick and holds traction every time. All you have to do is floor it and keep it straight.

There is a rated difference of 1.2 seconds 0-60. I think you'd feel that.

I'm getting the Performance because I want the speed and the price is in a range I can afford. Not sure what other people use for justification.

Go test drive one and see. It's free and there is zero pressure to buy when you’re done

Its actually abut 0.8 seconds difference between the Performance and the LR AWD. The specification given by Tesla for the Performance is with a rolling start while the AWD is from a standstill. I guess they wanted to make the Performance look that little bit more attractive versus the AWD.

Lol, that’s hilarious. P3D might hang for the first 1/8 mile, so there’s some morsel of truth in your street racing comment, but high 11s In the quarter is a far cry from “beat most high end sports cars” territory.

I ate a Mustang GT500 and 2 Challengers last time I went.

And my best run was 11.712.

Best Model 3 Performance time anyone has made public so far is 11.454. That takes care of nearly 95% of unmodified cars available today. The S P100D can take care of the rest.

My parents decided to go with dual motor. I wonder how most consumers who chose dual motor concluded / justified their choices. I kinda thought people who go for base model are just trying to get in a Tesla as cheap as possibly and can afford a base BMW 3 series, and Performance customers are people who were considering cars like BMW M3 or Mercedes C-class AMG.

I just don't know what's the basic assumption for those who go with dual motor, like in the middle of cheap and most expensive.

The basic assumption is that money doesn't grow on trees and there was a point in time where the premium for any performance version was $15k. If I was shopping today it would be a P3D- in a heartbeat though.

I just took delivery of my performance model 3 and its freaking awesome. I'm 51 years old and I've had plenty of fast cars in my time. I had two Buick Grand Nationals back in the early 90's. One was kept bone stock and the other was pretty modified which had a best time of 11.4 in the 1/4. Now mind you, anything that ran in the elevens back then was considered a pretty fast car that typically involved a good amount of mods along with using either slicks or drag radials.

Fast forward to 2010. I bought a V8 Camaro that I installed a supercharger on. I never ran it at the track but I did have a VBOX and the best 0-60 time I could pull off was a 4.8 without spinning my tires. That car was pretty fast in general. I then bought a 2012 Camaro ZL1 which was basically the same thing as my 2010 Camaro. Both Camaro were fast once they got rolling but their 0-60 times weren't impressive due to traction issues.

I can say without a doubt my Model 3 performance would kick the crap out of all three before mentioned cars in 0-60 times. And to say these performance Model 3 cars can consistently run 11.8 quarter mile times is equally impressive. Especially considering the amount of money spent on a Model 3 performance. Mine was roughly $56K plus tax. There's no way in hell anyone is going to be able to beat that within anywhere near the same price range.

That in itself makes the Model 3 performance a huge bang for your buck kind of car!

"Most sports cars" is a difficult term to define, but all model 3 variants compete well within their class.
P3D Compare.jpg
Lap.jpg

Compare.jpg

Reactions: ModelNforNerd