Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who gets reservations filled first?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are just tossing out a bunch of speculation here. Only real change to specs officially is adding quad motor config.

Rest of your comment is even deeper into fantasyland with nothing based on the way Tesla has acted in the past.

“I reserved late but it doesn’t matter because… reasons!”
How exactly did Tesla act "in the past"?
For the Model 3 a lot of day one reservation holders got shafted because: they didn't own a Tesla already, they lived too far from the nearest factory, they wanted a 220 mile SR for $35k, etc.

There were a lot of complaints about Tesla supposedly not following the reservation order when it turns out that build dates and configuration windows were based on: which configuration you wanted and whether you had a Tesla already on your account. They also let both Tesla and Space-X employees order first.

So according to YOU, the "way Tesla has acted in the past" means that they will most likely delay the single motor option until some arbitrary production performance is met, they'll definitely prioritize people who own a Tesla already and they'll definitely prioritize people who live close to Texas where the CT is being built.

So yes, I can say with pretty high confidence, Tesla is probably going to piss off at least 100k to 250k people who reserved a Cybertruck who have never owned a Tesla before or live in places like Illinois or New Jersey or can only afford the $40k version and reserved based on that, only to find out the only configuration available on day one is $90k and your only choice is to build that or wait. Remember, Tesla didn't even let people configure the 220 mile SR, even if they were day one reservation holders. They literally could only choose LR RWD or Performance or Dual Motor AWD.

"I reserved late but it doesn't matter because... reasons!" Yes, you know what those reasons are? Money.

One of the first persons to own a Cybertruck will be a guy who paid $275k to buy one off a Tesla employee on Bring a Trailer. And if you don't believe that guy will get his Cybertruck before you, I've got a bridge to sell you.

For the Model 3 a lot of day one reservation holders got shafted because: they didn't own a Tesla already, they lived too far from the nearest factory, they wanted a 220 mile SR for $35k, etc.
So tell me, the people who ordered the Model 3 for $35k, did they get the option to buy the Performance or the LR?

I seriously doubt they are shipping the single motor truck for a long time. Never suggested as otherwise.

All I said is they will respect the order of preorders.

I’m sure the dude who is going to pay $275k for a truck will get one before me. But the people who ordered a tri motor on the first day will get the options to buy the truck before people who ordered the truck 6 months later. That’s it.

So tell me, the people who ordered the Model 3 for $35k, did they get the option to buy the Performance or the LR?

I seriously doubt they are shipping the single motor truck for a long time. Never suggested as otherwise.

All I said is they will respect the order of preorders.

I’m sure the dude who is going to pay $275k for a truck will get one before me. But the people who ordered a tri motor on the first day will get the options to buy the truck before people who ordered the truck 6 months later. That’s it.
I never said they wouldn't. Obviously people who ordered early, own a Tesla already and pre-ordered tri-motor will be first (after employees and Joe Rogan and whoever else Musk pushes ahead of the line). All I was saying was you, and a lot of others, are underestimating how many orders were single-motor/non-Tesla owners or both. I'd estimate there's at least 20% to 25% of reservation holders who fall into one or both of those groups and those people will get pushed behind even people who reserved last month who own a Tesla already or are willing to buy tri-motor.

So it's very possible people in the first year of deliveries will be people who reserved in 2020 or 2021 or after.

There's also the factor of people who reserved but either never intended to really order or picked up a different EV truck. I possibly fall into that group. I would like a Cybertruck but I would be perfectly happy with a Rivian R1T or F150 Lightning.

What I disagreed with, that you said, was that everyone who reserved would get their order based on reservation order and there's no evidence Tesla does things that way. If you want a tri-motor and production numbers are solid enough, I imagine even people who reserved in 2022 will be able to get one in 2023 even while some people who reserved day one (who want a single motor or don't own a Tesla/both) are still waiting. I really don't see how people think so many people can afford a $95k truck.

Tesla should've made the deposits $1000 like Rivian. I'm willing to bet Rivian has very accurate predictions on how many trucks they will sell.

Yes.
And you see where Rivian is at.
Based on the latest financial disclosure, Rivian Automotive has a Probability Of Bankruptcy of 10.0%.

Your amusing yourself if you think Tesla really cares about people being "pissed off".

It's all about profit, irrespective of deposit, previous owner or place in line.

I also believe the expensive model will also ignore the federal rebates and certainly be higher than $80k.

Most expensive model will sell first.
Those on the list will be lucky to have an opportunity to change their configuration to the most expensive model.

Until competition arrives at Afar lower price point and puts on the squeeze, the profit model is going to stay in existence.

Hats off to those of you out there still waiting for the $30,000 Model 3.

So is there any advantage in upgrading my reservation (made 8:00am the morning after the reveal) from the dual-motor to the tri-motor, or does the complete randomness of this distribution model make that a stupid effort? I’m in Northern CA (< 100 miles from Fremont - likely irrelevant), but more concerned with getting the vehicle sooner than later, and less concerned about the price. Throwing another wrench in the works - will be moving to Hawaii about the time they (projected) start shipping these. I can still use a CA address to accept delivery (and ship it myself if it speeds up the process). Trying to figure out if I should stick to my dual motor order or upgrade to tri-motor if that gets me higher in the queue (without messing up my delivery).
I decided to upgrade myself to tri motor from duel. If they have a quad plaid Ill upgrade again to get it sooner

Since Tesla has removed the configuration option a while ago and new reservations are no longer tied to a certain trim, I feel Tesla will give people the option to finalize configuration in the order the preorders were placed, but actually fulfilling those orders will be highly dependent on trim levels.

To me, it doesn't matter as I'll be buying the highest trim with the longest range possible. Also have FSD selected and hoping that they honour the locked-in price.

Getting very excited!

Reactions: gillfoto
To me, it doesn't matter as I'll be buying the highest trim with the longest range possible. Also have FSD selected and hoping that they honour the locked-in price.

Getting very excited!
I would surmise that highest trim, longest range orders will be filled first, so not getting that configuration could add another year or more.

Reactions: gillfoto
I have a relatively early reservation, for the tri-motor/fsd version. If they start production first of a lower version, and offer me an opportunity to configure, do I have to take the lower version, and if I don't, I lose my low reservation spot?

I have a relatively early reservation, for the tri-motor/fsd version. If they start production first of a lower version, and offer me an opportunity to configure, do I have to take the lower version, and if I don't, I lose my low reservation spot?
There is no "spot" to lose. When they open up configuration for you if you don't configure you just come back when you are ready.

There is no "spot" to lose. When they open up configuration for you if you don't configure you just come back when you are ready.
I realize that you can configure an available Tesla, like an X or Y or S now at any time. I have an S Plaid and a MY now, and previously an S. However, for my Plaid, if I hadn't configured it when it was offered to me after being on the reservation list for a year, I would have lost my place in line. Is that not the case for the Cybertruck, and in that case the line is going to be really long? I'm not trying to be contrary, but want to understand what is likely to happen if the first offerings are not the top level one, and I don't configure it then.

You folks who think you are in some virtual line are hilarious. Deliveries will be prioritized based on geography as they always have. The Cybertruck will deliver first to those customers closest to the manufacturing point and just being honest...whether you reserved on reveal or one year later doesn't matter in the slightest.

You folks who think you are in some virtual line are hilarious. Deliveries will be prioritized based on geography as they always have. The Cybertruck will deliver first to those customers closest to the manufacturing point and just being honest...whether you reserved on reveal or one year later doesn't matter in the slightest.
I'm glad I'm entertaining you. However, my question isn't a newbie silly question. I understand delivery issues in general, which I guess you could determine if you read my info below. It is not a silly question to ask whether I end up losing the option to configure a higher model if I get a notice to configure and all that is available at the time is a lower trim version. Why such a negative and personally insulting response?

I will take a bet that I get mine before most excluding employees and early investors/owners.
The only time the closest customers mattered were when they needed end of quarter deliveries for Model 3.

Roadster: Worldwide
Model S; Nationwide
Model X: Nationwide
Model 3: Employees, Nationwide
Model Y: Employees, Nationwide

I will take a bet that I get mine before most excluding employees and early investors/owners.
The only time the closest customers mattered were when they needed end of quarter deliveries for Model 3.

Roadster: Worldwide
Model S; Nationwide
Model X: Nationwide
Model 3: Employees, Nationwide
Model Y: Employees, Nationwide
The Plaid S and Y AWD delivered regionally first. The Plaid actually delivered to the east coast first, furthest away from where it was made, according to multiple people. The MY AWD was first offered to people close to Austin.

The Model 3 honored Day 1 reservations first and then opened up regionally and by trims. So it didn't really matter if you ordered on the 2nd day or 6th week after those initial reservations.

So who really knows? It's a guessing game because it seems Tesla does it different every time.

That's just not true. They started delivering Model Y's in March of 2020 (at the beginning of Covid). I live in MD, across the country from where they were produced and I got mine before the world shut down in March 2020.

For reference from the Model 3 history they are prioritized by:

1. Geography
  2. Trim level
  3. Ability to pay
  4. Reservation number
If you aren't in #1 or #2, then you won't even get the option to configure. It isn't until #4 would we get the to the prioritization of the reservation number.

For reference from the Model 3 history they are prioritized by:

1. Geography
  2. Trim level
  3. Ability to pay
  4. Reservation number
If you aren't in #1 or #2, then you won't even get the option to configure. It isn't until #4 would we get the to the prioritization of the reservation number.
Pretty sure they also prioritized existing customers. Though there's so many now that's probably not going to be a thing.