Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has traded a Model S for a Model 3? How'd it go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Thinking about trading my 2016 AP1 coil suspension MS75D for a 3D or P3D... Wondering if anyone else already did this.

Here's my thoughts:

I almost never use supercharging. In 2 years, maybe 40kw. It's mostly a commuter car.
I've never filled the trunk. My old car was a mini, and even that did fine for me.
Acceleration between 3D and MS75D is 1/2 sec difference. I'm OK with that.
Less warranty... but simpler car. No crazy door handles, less than half the wiring of the MS.
Probably better parts availability in the future
I'll miss the sunroof... but not that much.
I barely missed out on AP2.0 in my MS, and now that EAP should be showing new features soon, seems like a good move
Increased range.. Not that I ever ran the MS down anyway.
Got a few rattles and squeaks in the MS that SC can't seem to kill. How's the 3 for that kind of thing?

All in all, it seems like the reasons to trade far exceed the reasons not to.
I've got a message in to a local advisor to find out what the trade in value would be. I think if it's a wash, or close to, I'd do it.

Anyone make the Trade? Happy you did it or wish you hadn't? What was the cost comparison?

Thanks!

IF... indeed. The goal would be to get away with it without paying up. Ball park trade in on my car seems to be 55-60k, tho that's 3rd party. The 3 I'd get would be white, EAP, dual motor, so 52k after federal and local rebates. I'm assuming Tesla would offer less than that on trade in, and I'm not keen to sell myself on the open market... so maybe it fits, maybe it doesn't...

Hi all,

Thinking about trading my 2016 AP1 coil suspension MS75D for a 3D or P3D... Wondering if anyone else already did this.

Here's my thoughts:

I almost never use supercharging. In 2 years, maybe 40kw. It's mostly a commuter car.
I've never filled the trunk. My old car was a mini, and even that did fine for me.
Acceleration between 3D and MS75D is 1/2 sec difference. I'm OK with that.
Less warranty... but simpler car. No crazy door handles, less than half the wiring of the MS.
Probably better parts availability in the future
I'll miss the sunroof... but not that much.
I barely missed out on AP2.0 in my MS, and now that EAP should be showing new features soon, seems like a good move
Increased range.. Not that I ever ran the MS down anyway.
Got a few rattles and squeaks in the MS that SC can't seem to kill. How's the 3 for that kind of thing?

All in all, it seems like the reasons to trade far exceed the reasons not to.
I've got a message in to a local advisor to find out what the trade in value would be. I think if it's a wash, or close to, I'd do it.

Anyone make the Trade? Happy you did it or wish you hadn't? What was the cost comparison?

Thanks!
I sold my beloved Red S75(no D) with 46000 mi to Carmax for 48k then bought RWD 3 for a bit less than that after MA state incentive and fed tax credit. It feels much faster and sportier than my old S(which I thought was plenty fast). It's super different than the S but a terrific car of course! If you liked your Mini I think you'll totally love the 3! If you have any specific questions let me know.

IF... indeed. The goal would be to get away with it without paying up. Ball park trade in on my car seems to be 55-60k, tho that's 3rd party. The 3 I'd get would be white, EAP, dual motor, so 52k after federal and local rebates. I'm assuming Tesla would offer less than that on trade in, and I'm not keen to sell myself on the open market... so maybe it fits, maybe it doesn't...
I am stunned you can get this much for a trade in considering you can get a brand new model 3... i would say go for it honesty.. hurry up and don’t miss that tax window... ie a year from now your car will be worth maybe $10k less and the M3 $6k more... so this opportunity won’t happen again

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I bought my wife a 3/LR for Xmas to replace our S/40. Fortunately, we kept the 40 due to Tesla's low ball trade in offer of $16k... after 3 months; she preferred the S (comfort/convenience vs sporty/range). She did have a Mini years ago as well. We sold the 3 at cost.

If the 3 is your first Tesla or EV, you'll be amazed. If you're moving from an S, you'll notice a few shortcomings; most are easy to live with.

I have a 2015 Model S 70D with AP1 that's very well featured, and I'm not seeing anything close to $55K to $60K.

Vroom offered me $48K, but didn't even have a way of telling it I had things like the Cold weather package or xpel ultimate. If I was to sell privately I imagine I could get $50K.

I wish it was easier to sell privately because I think I'd feel better, and the person getting my car would feel better.

But, instead I'll likely trade it in for $44K (which translates to $48K if factoring in the reduction in sales taxes owed on the 3). I say likely because delivery of my P3D+ is scheduled for Friday, but Tesla is really blowing it in terms of customer service on the entire process.

Like I still don't have a VIN. So I fully expect to get a call/email from them saying the delivery date has been canceled. Even if the delivery date does happen I'm pretty convinced I'll likely reject the car. There are so many paint issues, and other issues that numerous people have to either have the car reworked or get another VIN.

Hopefully it's just those people being vocal, and 95% of the deliveries are fine. In any case my delivery is likely going to be pretty binary. I'm going to be a little forgiving, but it's anything significant I'm going to keep my S. Some of the pictures shown are things I'd walk away from.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm being pessimistic because I really enjoyed my S. I'll miss the heated steering wheel, and having two screens for Nav. I'll miss the way the next-generation seats hug my body.

Getting the smaller Model 3 with better driver visibility was always the plan along with wanting more range. I do a lot of Seattle to Portland road trips so cutting down on supercharging would be nice. I like supercharging, but I'm also really lazy. So anything to avoid doing work. EV's are great for us lazy people especially long range ones.

• Helpful
Dropped off my 2015 70D yesterday, and have been driving my new 3AWD today. It’s a bit bumpier, and doesn’t have all the amenities like the push button trunk. I don’t notice any difference in speed, and it handles like a dream. I keep reminding myself that it was $25,000 les than the 75D I would have gotten. My daughter from the back seat remarked that the dual USB chargers back there indicated the car was very 2018. Better, more advanced technology, and the S is due a refresh to catch up.
If you can give up the sunroof, and a few other niceties you’ll be driving the most advanced vehicle available.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
At first, it looked like a lowball trade-in offer. 10 days after I dropped off the S, it was for sale for $11,500 more than Tesla paid me.

It still hasn't sold, though, and they've knocked $5,000 off their asking price.

Sounds to me like they've overestimated the market for 2014 S85 w/AP1 now that so many are being traded in, and they're on the verge of pushing v9 firmware, which will push AP2 cars even further past AP1.

I'm ok with what they gave me now.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
Vroom offered me 57k, which is more than the 3 I'd get after incentives at 52.5 - but selling privately will mean paying sales tax at 4,500. My state allows car sales to subtract trade in price off the price of new sale for calculating sales tax. This brings vroom's offer down to 52.4, which I guess is close enough...

Gonna see what Tesla offers first, and maybe just not bother. Nothing wrong with the S at all... Love the car. Just keep thinking about how cool AP2 will be when it comes into its own...

try shift, givemethevin, vroom etc for pricing on your S also.

Vroom was great.

Givemethevin was sleazy. Tried to convince me that EVs were bad due to charging/range problems, that I had "driven my car too much" (<15K per year), better sell it while I could, etc. Offered me $40K. Stay away.

Vroom paid me $55K, which seemed spot on for a wholesaler. I had been aiming for $60K private party (until an unexpectedly early P3D delivery forced quick action).

• Helpful
Since it's possible that a new 3 is 2-4 months out... how does Vroom handle the extended timeframe? I wouldn't want to commit to a new 3 order with all the numbers working out well just to find out that, 4 months later (in the dead of winter...), I can't sell my current car for enough to fully fund the 3 proper. Sounds like a recipe for taking a bath.
(assume, of course, no massive change to the car, accident, etc)

Still no VIN or delivery date for my 3D, but I plan to sell my 90D HW1 to a third party like carmax or make a private sale. From what I've heard I'll probably get a better price that way, and I can't save on sales tax because I'm in California. So I figure I might as well hang onto the old car as a backup for a week or three, maybe until I get carpool stickers for the 3. That delay could also be handy in case the new one experiences an early failure per the bathtub curve.

Yeah, givemethevin was laughable. Waiting for replies from vroom and shift. Will probably sell private party, which I don't mind. The car is built and upgraded for the road - should be fun to sell.

In my case, the plan is to go back to the type of car I had (late-2014 to early-2015 AP1 RWD S85) that's coming off lease now. It'll be just fine to get through the next 2-3 years anyway until FSD matures. Unless and until we have stop sign *reaction*, it's all baby steps anyway. Of course, the staged video showed this functionality in December 2016.