Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who wants in on a class action lawsuit? ;-)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not true. Only if you go low enough to reverse the polarity of some of the cells in a string. It's perfectly safe to run a Li-Ion battery down to zero as long as it's not exposed to negative polarity.
Not fully true as there is swelling and shrinkage at both the high and low ends. And that change in cathode size does affect the longevity of the battery.

Not fully true as there is swelling and shrinkage at both the high and low ends. And that change in cathode size does affect the longevity of the battery.

It's the change in SOC that causes fracturing from swelling and shrinkage which is why 10 cycles over 20% of the range is better than 5 cycles over 40% of the range. I have hobby related Li-Ion batteries that I've store at 0% in the refrigerator for over a decade that still still test out at 97% of original capacity on my IMAX B6.

Storing a battery 100% is really bad which is a totally different thing.

It's the change in SOC that causes fracturing from swelling and shrinkage which is why 10 cycles over 20% of the range is better than 5 cycles over 40% of the range. I have hobby related Li-Ion batteries that I've store at 0% in the refrigerator for over a decade that still still test out at 97% of original capacity on my IMAX B6.

Storing a battery 100% is really bad which is a totally different thing.
Again my testing does not support that. It is the changes from full or almost full to empty. If you stay between 70 and 90% most all the time the battery will last virtually forever. The more you can stay from the edges the better.

You do know that’s not the recommended procedure for charging, right?
Didn’t you get this card with your 2013 Model S? I did.
A connected Model S is a happy Model S
Or did you RTFM?
Funny - every Tesla engineer I spoke with has a different approach to the "right" way to charge. One senior engineer told me to take it down to single digits frequently and to rarely charge it all the way up. Another told me to always keep it between 20 and 80% charged. They have no idea what the right way is.

Don't do that. No one does that. That makes no sense. That's the cause of your problem.

Change thread to "Who wants in on lessons to RTFM?"
Funny - every Tesla engineer I spoke with has a different approach to the "right" way to charge. One senior engineer told me to take it down to single digits frequently and to rarely charge it all the way up. Another told me to always keep it between 20 and 80% charged. They have no idea what the right way is.

I doubt these are the battery engineers you're referring to. Just because someone works for Tesla as a software engineer, or mechanical engineer, or whatever doesn't mean he knows any more about the battery than the next person. If you didn't follow the recommendation in the owners manual about NOT waiting until the charge is low to plug in, I don't see how you can complain about your battery. Those of us early 60 owners who have commented here over the past year and who have followed the owners manual are generally reporting a 100% charge is giving 197-199 miles at about five years, which fits with my experience.

That said, we would seem to have strong anecdotal evidence through your experience what the wrong way is.

165 at 100% is pretty bad and not typical.
I'm at 77k miles (Jan 2013 build) and get to 174 at 90% and 191-ish at 100%
Worse than what TexasEV said probably because I've gone below 20% and above 90% more often, but still nowhere near as low as what the OP is seeing.

Did KMAN's original 60 get as low?

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Just a point of comparison:

I bought a 2013 S 60 a couple of years ago with 41,XXX miles. I routinely charge to about 85%, which gives me rated miles of 168-170.

The car now has over 63K miles. I've range charged exactly once, and it topped out at 198.

For what it's worth, I usually charge when remaining range is below 100; occasionally (especially during warm weather) I'll go 2-3 days without plugging in. In the winter, I usually plug in nightly.

EDIT: Because I bought CPO, I don't know if battery or drive unit were ever serviced/replaced. I do know that the battery coolant was changed during the CPO process before I took possession.

I noticed from the OP's pic that his whats per mile is pretty high at 345--that's more like a Model X or a "P" Model S kind of usage. I wander how aggressive the OP drives, which could pretty much explain the low range. I am in CO and my overall average is around 265 whats/mile, so if I recalculate: 165. mi range x 345 / 265 (my average) = 214 mile range should be possible if the OP had my 265 wh/mi average. My range mode has always been ON, but we have mountains and real winters here.

I noticed from the OP's pic that his whats per mile is pretty high at 345--that's more like a Model X or a "P" Model S kind of usage. I wander how aggressive the OP drives, which could pretty much explain the low range. I am in CO and my overall average is around 265 whats/mile, so if I recalculate: 165. mi range x 345 / 265 (my average) = 214 mile range should be possible if the OP had my 265 wh/mi average. My range mode has always been ON, but we have mountains and real winters here.
Once again, RATED RANGE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DRIVING STYLE.

It is rated range based on 345whats per mile in his case, right? if not, which wh/mi number does it take into account when calculating rated range? What if the OP always drives aggressively and sets the AC to 70 degrees with windows open?

It is rated range based on 345whats per mile in his case, right? if not, which wh/mi number does it take into account when calculating rated range? What if the OP always drives aggressively and sets the AC to 70 degrees with windows open?

The range is calculated using a fixed Wh/mile that is assigned for the specific model. It has nothing to do with the weather, driving habits, etc.

Rated range is rated range. Based on EPA.

May not be able to achieve it in reality - but that is what is displayed.

If you want anticipated range, you have to look on the energy graph

so to summarize
1- always keep your car plugged in where possible. Its in every Tesla manual I've ever seen so they're pretty darned consistent. Conversations never override whats in the book.
2- Its not mileage that affects the battery, its how you discharge/charge it
3- Finally, All together now, repeat - Rated range has nothing to do with how you drive, or weather, or sunspots or anything else.