Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since they give you a new airbag, $700 is quite the deal. I guess they can recycle your airbag, but that sounds sketchy to put used airbags, that could easily have cosmetic damage from the previous owner, into new cars.

Say what one will about Tesla, but I've never felt they gouge on parts pricing. A wheel + airbag + dispatching a mobile technician (or even in-house at the service center) isn't cheap. $700 seems very reasonable for all that IMO.

So even if they let you keep the yoke, if they don't let you keep the airbag, you wouldn't really be able to revert it to original spec.

I wonder if letting the customer keep the airbag varies per center? Maybe they're getting some money out of keeping them (I don't think airbags are cheap).

It also sounds like people who swapped to aftermarket wheels (like me) and are reusing the yoke-based airbag are at risk in case of an airbag deployment...I'd probably care more if I didn't already drive a bunch of rigs without airbags. And actually trusted Franz.

Definitely a lot of history of chatter about the airbags and swapping between round and yoke on S/X/Y/3. Safety is one aspect, but liability and insurance payouts is another. If you get in an accident, either your or the other guy's insurance may use it as an excuse to deny claims. And the companies that make the wheels may get sued.

So even if they let you keep the yoke, if they don't let you keep the airbag, you wouldn't really be able to revert it to original spec.

I wonder if letting the customer keep the airbag varies per center? Maybe they're getting some money out of keeping them (I don't think airbags are cheap).

It also sounds like people who swapped to aftermarket wheels (like me) and are reusing the yoke-based airbag are at risk in case of an airbag deployment...I'd probably care more if I didn't already drive a bunch of rigs without airbags. And actually trusted Franz.
I thought the same. I went to an aftermarket wheel and am using the yoke airbag.

Attachments

• IMG_2077.jpeg
    IMG_2077.jpeg
    498.7 KB · Views: 77
Reactions: Murtaya
Say what one will about Tesla, but I've never felt they gouge on parts pricing. A wheel + airbag + dispatching a mobile technician (or even in-house at the service center) isn't cheap. $700 seems very reasonable for all that IMO.

It is true that some of the parts prices seem oddly reasonable. But they still get you because you could easily have a drive unit that needs a simple $5 part swap to be fixed, but they force you to replace the whole $6-8K drive unit whenever anything goes wrong.

As another example, I just paid $1600 for a windshield. Why is it $1600? Because Tesla decided to glue stuff to the windshield that could have easily been mounted to the roof rail and then make sure you can only buy that "special" windshield from Tesla. That's crazy expensive and they make up for those other reasonable parts prices.

Last edited:
Reactions: dmurphy
Definitely a lot of history of chatter about the airbags and swapping between round and yoke on S/X/Y/3. Safety is one aspect, but liability and insurance payouts is another. If you get in an accident, either your or the other guy's insurance may use it as an excuse to deny claims. And the companies that make the wheels may get sued.

I strongly, strongly doubt it'd be grounds for insurance to deny anything. Insurance covers stupid and even negligent - just not malicious or willful negligence. This counts as none of those things - it doesn't rise to even the "stupid" level, let alone malicious or willful negligence.

Not saying you'd have insurance cover AFTER an event - could be grounds to drop you like a hot potato - but the event itself should be covered.

(And yes, the company that makes the wheels may very well get sued - IF you can find them. Most are based overseas; they'll just rename themselves and carry on.)

Reactions: Murtaya
It is true that some of the parts prices seem oddly reasonable. But they still get you because you could easily have a drive unit that needs a simple $5 part swap to be fixed, but they force you to replace the whole $6-8K drive unit whenever anything goes wrong.
Absolutely - the "reasonableness" of any individual repair can be questionable. But if they're charging $6-8k for a drive unit, that's likely close to cost. Whether you actually NEED a drive unit -- well, that's the big open question mark. :)

edit: Just wanted to add, I don't think they do that to MaKe MoRe MoNeY but because they don't do sub-component repairs at the service centers. Essentially they swap assemblies ... This is an area *ripe* for third parties. (... and then we go down that rabbit hole ....... no need to rehash it here, I'm absolutely positive we're all on the same page there.)

edit to the edit: I hear ya on the windshield. Just did one on the Model 3; 2 weeks later it caught a rock, and it's chipped again. I also need one for the Model X -- that's this week's phone call. Thankfully only $100 deductible on our comprehensive, just hate stacking claims up like that back to back .... prefer to space them out when I can.

I strongly, strongly doubt it'd be grounds for insurance to deny anything. Insurance covers stupid and even negligent - just not malicious or willful negligence. This counts as none of those things - it doesn't rise to even the "stupid" level, let alone malicious or willful negligence.

Not saying you'd have insurance cover AFTER an event - could be grounds to drop you like a hot potato - but the event itself should be covered.

(And yes, the company that makes the wheels may very well get sued - IF you can find them. Most are based overseas; they'll just rename themselves and carry on.)

Uh, American companies are selling the Chinese wheels, and I am sure they don't want to get sued.

Yes, insurance can deny claims based on non-declared modifications. They have teams that specialize in finding a way to deny claims.

Since my appointment is via mobile service, I’m half tempted to remove the yoke and airbag before the service tech shows up, so all he has to do is install the wheel & airbag - that way I’m sure to keep my yoke & its airbag, as well as make sure the tech installs a new airbag for the wheel

I have one on each of my personal vehicles. Tacoma truck and RV. Not on wife's Tesla Model 3. I originally placed one on my Tacoma truck which my wife was driving for a bit after brveaking her wrist to help her out. It sure helps driving my 2016 Minnie Winnie RV. I also had one on my 79 VW Bus. Just kidding about adding to my CT when it arrives. I think so anyway!

That airbag explanation from the SC doesn't make sense. Unless there's a safety issue in giving it back to you (which needs to be articulated better in their response), you should be entitled to the entire steering wheel/airbag assembly as both belong to you. If they want to claim a core deposit on any aspect of the Yoke (whether to be used with the new wheel or with future Yokes), then that needs to be spelled out in their documentation when you purchase the round wheel. I suspect you'll be fighting City Hall trying to get it back at this point though.
After further reflection, the one reason I can see for them not giving the airbag back would be that they are tied to the VIN of the car. Should there be a safety recall (such as the recent Tata fiasco), they would need to be able to track down each vehicle impacted by that recall, and giving you the airbag back screws with them being able to do that accurately (not to mention the possibility that you sell it to someone and it's now installed in a car with Tesla having no record of that airbag being in that car).

Reactions: dmurphy
After further reflection, the one reason I can see for them not giving the airbag back would be that they are tied to the VIN of the car. Should there be a safety recall (such as the recent Tata fiasco), they would need to be able to track down each vehicle impacted by that recall, and giving you the airbag back screws with them being able to do that accurately (not to mention the possibility that you sell it to someone and it's now installed in a car with Tesla having no record of that airbag being in that car).

It’s almost certainly a “because the lawyers told us to” thing and not a technical reason why.