Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got an email notice from the Tesla store that the steering wheel is back in stock. So if you've been waiting to order, now is your chance.

Side note, this is the first time ever that Tesla's store has ever emailed me when something has come back in stock. Whoever is supposed to throw all those requests in the trash at Tesla is clearly slipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
After they didn't give me the airbag but did give me the yoke I reached out to them. No luck on getting the airbag.

21772497-36E9-4964-BCC0-3FF7A4E0EFB3.jpeg

I wonder what the difference is…..

I’m not an automotive engineer, and don’t play one on TV …. But if I were to guess …

The internal structure/shape of the airbag is likely a little different, due to the pattern of the yoke vs wheel. In other words - when the bag needs to inflate, it has to do so in a manner protecting the driver from impacting the solid object (ie wheel). Given the different dimensions, I’m guessing the bag itself is shaped to inflate differently between the two.

Just a guess.

I’m not an automotive engineer, and don’t play one on TV …. But if I were to guess …

The internal structure/shape of the airbag is likely a little different, due to the pattern of the yoke vs wheel. In other words - when the bag needs to inflate, it has to do so in a manner protecting the driver from impacting the solid object (ie wheel). Given the different dimensions, I’m guessing the bag itself is shaped to inflate differently between the two.

Just a guess.
Also makes sense they wouldn’t release it as it’s a restricted part. Maybe someone will investigate eventually.

That airbag explanation from the SC doesn't make sense. Unless there's a safety issue in giving it back to you (which needs to be articulated better in their response), you should be entitled to the entire steering wheel/airbag assembly as both belong to you. If they want to claim a core deposit on any aspect of the Yoke (whether to be used with the new wheel or with future Yokes), then that needs to be spelled out in their documentation when you purchase the round wheel. I suspect you'll be fighting City Hall trying to get it back at this point though.

Reactions: Beandoc
Saw this today. Meshes with what have been discussing about the different air bags.

“Before you install that new fancy yoke steering wheel, there's something you should know:

Your factory wheel airbag will not function the way it was intended to if you get into an accident with a yoke wheel installed.

This is not conjecture, this is fact.

Franz, chief design engineer at Tesla, outlines the problem and how they had to redesign the airbag to function. Jump to the 44:30 mark of the interview.

Additionally you will notice there are two different part numbers in the part catalog for airbags in vehicles containing both yoke and round wheel options. Install at your own risk.”

So even if they let you keep the yoke, if they don't let you keep the airbag, you wouldn't really be able to revert it to original spec.

I wonder if letting the customer keep the airbag varies per center? Maybe they're getting some money out of keeping them (I don't think airbags are cheap).

It also sounds like people who swapped to aftermarket wheels (like me) and are reusing the yoke-based airbag are at risk in case of an airbag deployment...I'd probably care more if I didn't already drive a bunch of rigs without airbags. And actually trusted Franz.