Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still no update on what the tech said would happen next? Was he able to confirm that the steering wheels are shipping? Did he just forget to bring it? Inquiring minds need to know!

I didn't even ask. I have a feeling he wouldn't know anything.
I did ask on the app for my actual wheel install appointment and they said they have not received the parts and will probably need to reschedule. Its currently scheduled for the 22nd.

Pretty sure were all going to be playing the waiting game until the service centers receive shipments of steering wheels.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Mine also has been pushed.. they take the orders but not in stock yet..?

Attachments

• FC22C04D-E4B7-4A12-928C-1030A6B44276.jpeg
    FC22C04D-E4B7-4A12-928C-1030A6B44276.jpeg
    391.3 KB · Views: 935
My service center scheduled me for 3/27. I just got a message from them saying that they see my appointment time and date, but they have absolutely no idea of why the appointment was made. That doesn't give me a warm-fuzzy feeling, as my account has already been charged for the cost of the wheel.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
My service center scheduled me for 3/27. I just got a message from them saying that they see my appointment time and date, but they have absolutely no idea of why the appointment was made. That doesn't give me a warm-fuzzy feeling, as my account has already been charged for the cost of the wheel.
It's happened to several of us. The ordering process for the retrofit is broken. Tesla shop immediately redirects to schedule a SC install appointment but does not transfer order details that its for a retrofit install. Had to message SC so they updated the appointment details manually. My appointment has been pushed twice and is currently 3/31 with mobile. Wouldn't be surprised to see it get pushed further if part still hasn't arrived before then.

That’s great news for all of us!

Let us know about keeping the yoke and any software changes to show a round wheel.

It’s probably already installed by now since it’s such a quick job.
Well they also need to fix the creaking seat, so I have another hour and a bit to wait. I have asked to keep the Yoke, so we'll see. Last time I replaced it (due to be destroying some of the buttons trying to remove the core to install in a 3rd party wheel) they gave it to me.

Reactions: Luka816
Ok the wheel has been installed. Got to drive back 40 mins along a mix of roads. It feels great. Obviously it's still bigger than the 3/Y. It's quite thick apart from the 2.5/9.5 o'clock part that has the cutout a lot of wheels have. It's slightly squared off at the bottom. In my preferred position the wheel does block off the light statuses and the speed limit. I'd love if Tesla could move the speed limit to below the current speed. Will have to see how that. One interesting thing that happened was when I pulled out of the lot I went to grab stacks to signal. This happened a few more times. The airbag definitely seems to have some give now compared to the two yokes I've had, so possibly a horn activation there for a later software release? There's no software options that I can see to change what's displayed in the UI. I got to keep the Yoke, no pushback from Tesla.

All in all I'm very happy with having a wheel again. It's going to make driving much more enjoyable for me.

BE8B0D9E-0C4B-461D-A176-18C5D7258F4D.jpeg
AAE50424-10C7-4CD6-897D-5E4FB107E4FC.jpeg

Ok the wheel has been installed. Got to drive back 40 mins along a mix of roads. It feels great. Obviously it's still bigger than the 3/Y. It's quite thick apart from the 2.5/9.5 o'clock part that has the cutout a lot of wheels have. It's slightly squared off at the bottom. In my preferred position the wheel does block off the light statuses and the speed limit. I'd love if Tesla could move the speed limit to below the current speed. Will have to see how that. One interesting thing that happened was when I pulled out of the lot I went to grab stacks to signal. This happened a few more times. The airbag definitely seems to have some give now compared to the two yokes I've had, so possibly a horn activation there for a later software release? There's no software options that I can see to change what's displayed in the UI. I got to keep the Yoke, no pushback from Tesla.

All in all I'm very happy with having a wheel again. It's going to make driving much more enjoyable for me.

View attachment 920586View attachment 920587

Oh yeah!!! This is what I'm talkin' about! Looks great. If the dimensions are similar to the old S/X, I'll be thrilled!

Tuesday can't get here fast enough.

Enjoy it!!!

Reactions: Duke846 and scrapps
I'm going to have to ping the SC to see if they can give me an update on when they expect mine. That looks fantastic and will greatly enhance my overall satisfaction with the MSP once mine is installed. Good to hear you were allowed to keep the yoke!

Reactions: scrapps
Enjoy!

When you say that you got to "keep the yoke", do you mean the shell, the shell with the electronics (but no airbag), or the entire yoke, airbag and all?

Looks like they really are selling out:

Reception kinda goes inline with this poll. It's pretty impressive that the majority of people not just prefer the wheel, but that they're actually going to pay more for the wheel. Another quarter aren't going for the wheel, but that could also include people who don't want to pay another $700 bucks for the wheel but don't necessarily think the yoke is better. A small minority of the votes actually think the yoke is better (a fifth).
1679600952733.png

Kinda glad to see this; with all the praise of the yoke around here, I thought I was going crazy, But even Tesla came around...I'm fine with them taking design creativity, but only up to a certain point. Really glad they're coming around...now how about getting some nice stalks and center horn mechanisms back on these otherwise fine cars?
1679600849939.png