Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok the wheel has been installed. Got to drive back 40 mins along a mix of roads. It feels great. Obviously it's still bigger than the 3/Y. It's quite thick apart from the 2.5/9.5 o'clock part that has the cutout a lot of wheels have.

So how about the wrap material? Does it seem like the same material as the Yoke, or something more like on the Model 3/Y? If I change the wheel and the material flakes apart like the yoke does, I'm going to lose my marbles (and get a leather wrap ;-)

So how about the wrap material? Does it seem like the same material as the Yoke, or something more like on the Model 3/Y? If I change the wheel and the material flakes apart like the yoke does, I'm going to lose my marbles (and get a leather wrap ;-)
Good question. It feels slightly different, maybe a touch more slippery. That might be down to this being brand new vs my 4 month old replacement yoke. I took a photo showing at the top the bottom of the wheel va the bottom of the yoke, in the bottom of the photo. They look slightly different up close.

15ECFE94-BBCC-410F-BB3A-69C1B36705B0.jpeg

Good question. It feels slightly different, maybe a touch more slippery. That might be down to this being brand new vs my 4 month old replacement yoke. I took a photo showing at the top the bottom of the wheel va the bottom of the yoke, in the bottom of the photo. They look slightly different up close.

Great analysis, thank you for the photo! That's exactly what I was hoping for - it's definitely a different material of some sort; the grain doesn't match at all. Any change is good news -- the paper maché of the yoke is a huge disappointment.

Really looking forward to finally having a wheel again. I just installed a set of S3XY Buttons today as well -- that gives my better half the ability to turn down regenerative braking. I don't understand it, but she doesn't like the regen feel... it's been set to low in her Model X since day 1, and now that we discovered the S doesn't have an adjustment .... this is a huge game changer.

Between the S3XY button and a new wheel next week, maybe she won't hate on the refresh S quite so much! I've honestly been regretting it a bit -- almost felt like I should've just gotten a Raven S and saved myself ~$25k.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
When I felt the new wheel at the Tesla lot, it felt a bit more "rubbery" than the material on the yoke (which to me feels kinda grainy). It didn't seem like it would wear as poorly as the yoke material, but that's just a hunch (and hope?).

How was the S3XY button install? Did you do a writeup here somewhere? I bought some but have yet to install (I mainly wanted to support companies that built cool stuff like those)

Ok the wheel has been installed. Got to drive back 40 mins along a mix of roads. It feels great. Obviously it's still bigger than the 3/Y. It's quite thick apart from the 2.5/9.5 o'clock part that has the cutout a lot of wheels have. It's slightly squared off at the bottom. In my preferred position the wheel does block off the light statuses and the speed limit. I'd love if Tesla could move the speed limit to below the current speed. Will have to see how that. One interesting thing that happened was when I pulled out of the lot I went to grab stacks to signal. This happened a few more times. The airbag definitely seems to have some give now compared to the two yokes I've had, so possibly a horn activation there for a later software release? There's no software options that I can see to change what's displayed in the UI. I got to keep the Yoke, no pushback from Tesla.

All in all I'm very happy with having a wheel again. It's going to make driving much more enjoyable for me.

View attachment 920586View attachment 920587
It looks better than I had hoped.

Too bad the Speed display is getting blocked. For once wish Tesla would do something conventional and put the speed display in the centre,

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
How was the S3XY button install? Did you do a writeup here somewhere? I bought some but have yet to install (I mainly wanted to support companies that built cool stuff like those)

It was one of the simplest installs I've ever done. The panel under the main display pops off using the included spudger. Plug the cable in, drop the dongle into the opening, put the panel back... done.

Stupidly simple - really elegant. I attached the "happy wife happy life" button where a traditional ignition key would go on the steering column. As good a place as any, and it's basically invisible.

Great product - I'm super blown away happy with it!

Reactions: SO16
It was one of the simplest installs I've ever done. The panel under the main display pops off using the included spudger. Plug the cable in, drop the dongle into the opening, put the panel back... done.

Stupidly simple - really elegant. I attached the "happy wife happy life" button where a traditional ignition key would go on the steering column. As good a place as any, and it's basically invisible.

Great product - I'm super blown away happy with it!

Will you remove it when you take it in for warranty work? With the stories I have heard lately, I bet they would deny half the claims if they saw something plugged into their harness.

Will you remove it when you take it in for warranty work? With the stories I have heard lately, I bet they would deny half the claims if they saw something plugged into their harness.

Probably not unless it’s something electrical. The only warranty issues I’ve had have all been physical issues - control arms, that sort of thing. Nothing even remotely related to the CANbus.

But even if I had to remove it, it’s literally a 30 second removal. Super, super simple.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ and Murtaya
When you get messages on your dash, does it say "yoke" (like when engaging autopilot and it tells you to keep your hands on the "yoke", etc.)? Do the climate controls visualizations show a yoke or a wheel? Just curious

Hey @scrapps thank you so much for all the reporting on your wheel swap!

I’m getting mine done next Tuesday, March 28th, and would like to keep my yoke. Did you have to say anything specific to keep yours, or did they hand it back to you by default?
I sent them a message using the app when the car was in service. When I asked the guy who told me my car was ready he said not a problem, he'd seen the message and the yoke is in the trunk.