Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's tinted their windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking about going 50 all around, I don't know if I would get hassled for having 50 in the front though?
Or maybe 70 in the front (pretty much looks clear), and 30 rear sides and 50 rear? I don't want it to look goofy though.

Depends on your seats. 65 is fine for black. 50 for white looks the same as 65 black when it comes to the windshield.

35 all around to be safe for black or white.
For a better look but more risky is 20% all around.
I would not tint the rear window darker than 35 however since you have to do it as one piece.

I see way too many limo tints on every kind of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc to think tint enforcement is a big problem in general.

20% on rear and sides. 70% front windshield.

Keeps the car really cool, I only have to keep the AC at 73F now.

Didn't tint the sunroof, which makes the front windows look lighter than 20% tint would normally look.

!!signal-attachment-2019-04-09-152407.jpg

Attachments

• !!signal-attachment-2019-04-09-152407.jpg
    !!signal-attachment-2019-04-09-152407.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 225
I'm waiting for my wrap to get finished and coated. After settling it needed a couple pieces redone (trunk and a front quarter panel), and might need the hood redone, too, as it has a small stretch mark that hasn't come out yet. Once that's all done and it is properly shiny I'll post some pics.

I'm still on the fence about blacking out. Spouse prefers the chrome. I'd probably rather black satin but we'll see. To get it done proper, involving disassembling the mirrors so open-close cycles don't just chew it up shortly, isn't cheap.

I went with Crystalline 70 all the way around. Spouse has 50 on the sides and I dislike how hard it is to see side approaches in the dark at night, out beyond the reach of ubiquitous street lighting. With the 70 no issues at night, it is actually better than stock because it cuts down on oncoming headlight glare. Added benefit of going 70 on all sides is that like this it is nominally legal across NA. Well it depends on wording for the windshield, but most places it is fine because it passes enough light through when you test it with an optic sensor.

Slightly weird side effect is that black cars, very oily pavement, and most tires now have sort of a purple glow to them when I'm wearing my polarized sunglasses due to interaction between the glasses and the film.

Last edited:
has anyone just tinted the roof only?...I am not really into having windows tinted but I hate the sun beating down on my head/face.

The sun seldom comes only from the top, additionally the front window lets in a lot of light. If you tint the windows and front windshield with ceramics, direct sunlight on your skin won't feel any heat. The car will still heat up in the sun when parked because heat rejection isn't 100%, but the decreased allowance of heat means you won't feel it and the car will be easier to cool.

The sunroof is UV and IR protected from factory, no reason to tint it unless you just want it to allow less sun.

Thanks! Do they sell the MSM? The silver wasnt available when I bought my P3D+ so I do the white. I love the color of the Metallic white but the paint job is absolutely horrible!!

MSM is different than silver. It’s dark gray with specs of blue depending on the light.

What’s wrong with the white paint jobs? The sometimes apparent difference between the body and bumper due to being different materials?