Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's tinted their windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my windows tinted. I only did the side windows and they are 35% ceramic.
IMG_20190809_171238.jpg

personally not a fan of untinted rear windows, especially on white interior but to each their own. No disrespect to anyone that does/has it, but it looks sloppy/unfinished, imho.

25% llumar f1 pinnacle ceramic on all windows except the windshield and front moonroof

Attachments

• IMG_7385.JPG
    IMG_7385.JPG
    935 KB · Views: 208
  • Disagree
Reactions: EfficientWatts
personally not a fan of untinted rear windows, especially on white interior but to each their own. No disrespect to anyone that does/has it, but it looks sloppy/unfinished, imho.

25% llumar f1 pinnacle ceramic on all windows except the windshield and front moonroof

Honestly I don't think it looks sloppy at all. I think at least for the Model 3 the gradient at the top makes it work. Yea I know not everyone likes it but at least it works better for the Model 3. For a regular car I would actually agree that an untinted back window doesn't look at as good especially if the sides are tinted.

FWIW here's my car with really light tint (70% XPEL XR PLUS)

20190616_161826 (Medium).jpg
20190615_161842 (Medium).jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: zyzz and EVGo99
do you wish you could have gone darker? My tint shop only offers 25% and 35%, no 30%

I could have gone darker, but I love the way 30% looks on most cars. Prior to living in Florida, I always went 20% with cheap tint, and thought it contrasted too much with lighter color cars, glad they offer something slightly darker than 35% here. So between those 2 options, I’d personally go 25% but no darker than that.

Why no windshield? That's a very important piece of glass where a ton of sun comes in - especially in FL.

I can’t decide what to put on the windshield yet. My brain tells me to go with 70%, but I love the look of 50%. I’m light sensitive to the point where I wear sunglasses on a rainy day, so 50% would be great for me, but I haven’t decided that’s the smart thing to do yet.

I think this is what I'm going to do. I keep hearing horror stories of people who tint their back window and have had cracking. Your car looks great.
My installer provided his experience with rear glass tinting. He advised against ceramic film on the rear as heat absorption properties coupled with the OE coating can lead to cracking.

I'm doing ceramic film on all windows except the rear. Huper Optik.

• Disagree
Reactions: zyzz
Honestly I don't think it looks sloppy at all. I think at least for the Model 3 the gradient at the top makes it work. Yea I know not everyone likes it but at least it works better for the Model 3. For a regular car I would actually agree that an untinted back window doesn't look at as good especially if the sides are tinted.

FWIW here's my car with really light tint (70% XPEL XR PLUS)

View attachment 439982 View attachment 439983

70% tint is almost imperceptible (and borderline useless) so not tinting the rear windows isnt as noticeable/drastic in your situation. Aside from the elderly (uv protection) I'm pretty curious as to why anyone would go through the effort of tinting their windows with such little protection. But to each their own ;)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: EfficientWatts
70% tint is almost imperceptible (and borderline useless) so not tinting the rear windows isnt as noticeable/drastic in your situation. Aside from the elderly (uv protection) I'm pretty curious as to why anyone would go through the effort of tinting their windows with such little protection. But to each their own ;)

I don't get why people think light tint is useless. You do realize the newest ceramic tints cut out a good chunk of heat now? All better that the cheap dyed 5 percent VLT that's out there. Heck look at the specs for photosync 70, which outperforms even some of the ceramics out there.

70-75 also is what usually goes on the front windshield if people choose to do so. Clearly it's not useless there.

There is a difference in view, it's more subtle. And there's some people who want to show off more of the interior and not have a blacked out car.

Ye I agree to each their own, but please get your facts right before you assume it's useless.

And I don't like you assume UV protection is for old geezers. I think a lot of people here would disagree with that...

Ye I agree to each their own, but please get your facts right before you assume it's useless.

try reading what I wrote again: Aside from the elderly (uv protection) I'm pretty curious as to why anyone would go through the effort of tinting their window... Reading comprehension is our friend!

Thanks for the candid and condescending response. Of course people tint their cars for uv protection, thats the most obvious reason lol. I appreciate uv protection as much as the next guy but I'll keep the 70% for the windshield only ;)

If uv protection is what you're aiming for, not tinting the windshield or rear window seems counterintuitive as those are the largest sources of uv rays into the cabin.

Your car looks very subtly tinted (like factory) and that is what you wanted so who am I to tell you otherwise? But lets keep things in perspective - most people wanting tint will opt for something that provides uv protection AND privacy.

I also doubt many people want to spend $300-$1000 for a tint that doesnt look any darker than the factory shaded windows but thats a whole different discussion and im not a financial advisor so i dont care what people do with their money

all i know is...if i tint my car, its going to look like i tinted my car ;)

try reading what I wrote again: Aside from the elderly (uv protection) I'm pretty curious as to why anyone would go through the effort of tinting their window... Reading comprehension is our friend!

Reading comprehension is your friend. Read what I said

I don't get why people think light tint is useless. You do realize the newest ceramic tints cut out a good chunk of heat now? All better that the cheap dyed 5 percent VLT that's out there. Heck look at the specs for photosync 70, which outperforms even some of the ceramics out there.

You focused on the UV protection aspect and completely missed the heat aspect. You also continue to think that UV protection is just elderly protection when I think any age range would benefit from additional UV protection as well.

There's people that do light tints, either for aesthetic or legal reasons:

Vendor - EVS Motors is your exclusive Authorized PhotoSync Window Film Installer & Dealer
(skip to the around 14 minutes, see the front windows)

And people who skip out the back windows:
Tint door windows, but not rear window?

Now tell me these person did it just for "UV protection" or that it was pointless.

And it's a big misconception that the untinted part of the backglass has zero UV protection. See: glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

And the windshield has a lot of natural UV protection. In a general sense, the side windows have less UV protection, It is telling that cancer is more prevalent on the sides of people. See: Not All Car Windows Protect Against UV Rays

Of course, adding more protection everywhere will help. But skipping out certain windows is not as useless or pointless as you think.

And remember, heat and UV are two different things. Just because you feel a lot of heat doesn't mean you aren't being protected from UV rays. What do you think that sunscreen lotion is doing; you still feel the heat from the sun right?

Your car looks very subtly tinted (like factory) and that is what you wanted so who am I to tell you otherwise? But lets keep things in perspective - most people wanting tint will opt for something that provides uv protection AND privacy.

And finally, yes I get that light tint is not your cup of tea. Just get your facts right.