Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you have to heat the plastic clips like in the video?

Was it easy to get the 2 factory clips off?
Nope, I did not have to heat anything. I just popped the original clips out with a thin flat screwdriver. The only trouble I had with the install is that I initially tried to do it without the right angle driver bit, but that is definitely not possible without taking the wheels off. I just had to wait a bit longer for UPS to deliver the bit so I could do the installation properly. The only other issue was that one of the two bumper clip holes in the rear left was not aligned perfectly like all of the others (tesla manufacturing flaw), so the long bumper clip would not hold that part of the mudflap securely to the whee well. My solution was to use a plastic drywall anchor plus machine screw in that hole, which held great.

The mud flap material and bumper clips included with the kit are really tough, and the design fastens them really solidly to the car. Some might think they are ugly, but they are worth the price compared to other options I saw when i was shopping.

Nope, I did not have to heat anything. I just popped the original clips out with a thin flat screwdriver. The only trouble I had with the install is that I initially tried to do it without the right angle driver bit, but that is definitely not possible without taking the wheels off. I just had to wait a bit longer for UPS to deliver the bit so I could do the installation properly. The only other issue was that one of the two bumper clip holes in the rear left was not aligned perfectly like all of the others (tesla manufacturing flaw), so the long bumper clip would not hold that part of the mudflap securely to the whee well. My solution was to use a plastic drywall anchor plus machine screw in that hole, which held great.

The mud flap material and bumper clips included with the kit are really tough, and the design fastens them really solidly to the car. Some might think they are ugly, but they are worth the price compared to other options I saw when i was shopping.

Hey, thanks for the additional information. I wonder if, instead of using the right angle driver bit to drill into the body panel, do you think the body panel is flat enough to just use a heavy duty double sided tape to attach that mud guard to the wheel well?

Today was a messy road condition day. Light snow and the salt trucks were all over the place so it made for messy crap roads which the Y handled easily.

I looked at the car after I came back for an errand and decided to snap a picture because this is almost like a wind tunnel thing. Notice how the mess is thrown and where. This will give you a good idea where the rocks and sand will eventually eat away at the paint if guards are not installed.

If you click on the picture it should give you almost a full size screen by the way and a little more detail.

Thank you so much for posting that photo @Midnightsun ... I'm meeting with my PPF guy Sunday and was describing where I want to apply PPF.. I'm just going to show him your photo now. Like they say: one photo is worth 1,000 words!

Hey, thanks for the additional information. I wonder if, instead of using the right angle driver bit to drill into the body panel, do you think the body panel is flat enough to just use a heavy duty double sided tape to attach that mud guard to the wheel well?
There is no harm in trying double sided tape, but I would be nervous about dirt and water eventually wearing away the adhesive and losing the mud flap while driving. I got the right angle bit shipped from Home Depot for 15 bucks, well worth it IMO to have the mud flaps held super secure by the extra screws that come with the kit.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Found some on eBay that are made for the Model Y! Fit Tesla Model Y Mud Flaps Splash Guards Fenders Accessories 4pcs (No Punching) | eBay

Here are the install instructions they provided me when I asked.
upload_2020-12-12_9-11-5.png

Sorry @Modulus1 ...I'll also report back as I'm very concerned about driving in slop without them.

My car is almost 6 weeks old now and I only have 356 mi on it because I've been avoiding joy rides, etc.. till I get mud flaps and PPF.

I'm getting the headlight lenses PPF'd Sunday and will get pricing for other areas, so at least that's a start.

Reactions: Modulus1 and HeyEph
Sorry @Modulus1 ...I'll also report back as I'm very concerned about driving in slop without them.

My car is almost 6 weeks old now and I only have 356 mi on it because I've been avoiding joy rides, etc.. till I get mud flaps and PPF.

I'm getting the headlight lenses PPF'd Sunday and will get pricing for other areas, so at least that's a start.

No worries! I don’t even have a MY to install them on yet, just planning ahead.