Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why a Y Needs Mud Guards/Flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered these from Ebay today for $53.99. They're shipped from CA and estimated arrival in MN is Feb 19 to 24. I'll post pics when I get them installed.

s-l500.jpg

Got the tesla’s. Delivered next day in CA. Very happy with them. Took only a few min to install and they have a clean look.

Got mine delivered yesterday too, but can't install them till tomorrow. Wow, just had car detailed and the rockers are bad as well as the door. Need to do the PPF too, like real soon, back door looks bad on one side. That's what I get for being lazy to do the PPF which I've had sitting for about a month.

Thanks for the heads-up about easy installation.

I installed the Tesla mud flaps on my Long Range Model Y about 1.5 weeks ago. Until this morning I had not driven my Model Y when the roads have been wet. I estimate an 80% reduction in water, salt and grime splatter on the front doors; a 90% reduction in splatter on the rear doors. Even without rear mud flaps installed the rear corner and bumper of my Model Y shows almost no splatter.

The small amount of splatter on the doors will clean right up with some Optimum No Rinse (ONR) and water mixed in a spray bottle and a damp sponge or towel.

Based on the splatter pattern on the rear door and quarter panel I am not sure if the Tesla wrap for this area will adequately cover, protect the rear door.

I'm thinking that rear mud flaps for the Model Y would be purely cosmetic as there is little evidence of any road splatter without rear mud flaps.

image_front_door.JPG

image_rear_door.JPG

image_rear_bumper.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Laguna M3
I installed the Tesla mud flaps on my Long Range Model Y about 1.5 weeks ago. Until this morning I had not driven my Model Y when the roads have been wet. I estimate an 80% reduction in water, salt and grime splatter on the front doors; a 90% reduction in splatter on the rear doors. Even without rear mud flaps installed the rear corner and bumper of my Model Y shows almost no splatter.

The small amount of splatter on the doors will clean right up with some Optimum No Rinse (ONR) and water mixed in a spray bottle and a damp sponge or towel.

Based on the splatter pattern on the rear door and quarter panel I am not sure if the Tesla wrap for this area will adequately cover, protect the rear door.

I'm thinking that rear mud flaps for the Model Y would be purely cosmetic as there is little evidence of any road splatter without rear mud flaps.

View attachment 637324

View attachment 637325

View attachment 637326

90% reduction has been our experience as well. Wish the car came with them, but I am glad to no longer be sad looking at the absolute spray of salt and debris on the rear panel.

After washing my MYP with less than 5k miles I rub my hand on the bottom back lower door where the paint meets the plastic and holy crap, it’s like severe Braille . It’s pitted so bad and I can’t believe what it would look like if I didn’t have Xpel on it.

it’s peppered so bad now that I can’t imagine what a 50k mile MY would have on it.

maybe it’s because I have the 21’s? ive been using hot water to cure the Xpel on the paint but the plastic at the bottom is pitted and when I wash my car the wash mitt and towel gets snagged on it like Velcro.

Would mud flaps help reduce this or nah due to the location being so far back?

After washing my MYP with less than 5k miles I rub my hand on the bottom back lower door where the paint meets the plastic and holy crap, it’s like severe Braille ....maybe it’s because I have the 21’s?
The 21" tires are certainly a big contributor, but even folks like me with the smallest tires (19") have rash issues. One thing for sure, flaps would certainly help... not sure how much but they will help. Get them before even more damage is done.

I am a fan of the ones I got on Amazon so far, and they look much sportier than any of the other "flat" ones out there in my opinion.

That being said, I havent planned on installing the rears, so if anyone is looking to buy the rear ones from me, I am happy to sell them to ya. Just DM me with an offer. Here are some pics:

IMG_7794.jpg
IMG_7793.jpg
IMG_7787.jpg
IMG_7772.jpg

IMG_7784.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7785.jpg
    IMG_7785.jpg
    449.6 KB · Views: 115
These are available on Amazon now. They are coming from Hong Kong, so they will take some time to arrive, but the company has fitted them to a Model Y they used as a model, from what I understand. As of right now, they are the only ones on Amazon with these so they will sell out I am sure. I'll post pics and a review here once they arrive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08TQTVM5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 632117 View attachment 632119

You got the ones listed as for the 3? There are X and S as well.