Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why am I not getting full regen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surprised the driver profile isn’t linked to phones yet.

Easier said than done. Let’s say we both get in the car. Whose phone takes precedence?

We go out, she gets in before me, but I’m driving. What happens? Does it change to me because I got in second, or does it stay with hers because she was in first?

Lots of variables makes for an unpredictable experience .... the more I think about it, the more the current “just touch who ya want” system might be better.

My morning:

“Regen braking feels weak, that’s weird....”

Parks at Costco...

Reaches up to turn on Sentry...

“Oh, look, it’s on the wife’s driver profile!”

Well, that explains the weak regen! Her profile is set for low regen. Dang ICErs!

Happy Sunday everyone!

Your wife’s seat, steering wheel and mirror position same as yours? She must be as tall as you?

Easier said than done. Let’s say we both get in the car. Whose phone takes precedence?

We go out, she gets in before me, but I’m driving. What happens? Does it change to me because I got in second, or does it stay with hers because she was in first?

Lots of variables makes for an unpredictable experience .... the more I think about it, the more the current “just touch who ya want” system might be better.
if you look at your bluetooth connections, you will see a D,P,F and R connection, which are from the Drover side, Passenger side, Front and Back. the car should be able to triangulate from the signal strengths where you are, and by that it should be able to tell which phone is closer to the Driver side, and which one is on the passenger side. Then it should be able to select the right profile.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
if you look at your bluetooth connections, you will see a D,P,F and R connection, which are from the Drover side, Passenger side, Front and Back. the car should be able to triangulate from the signal strengths where you are, and by that it should be able to tell which phone is closer to the Driver side, and which one is on the passenger side. Then it should be able to select the right profile.
I don't understand. I don't see any D P F or B on the car's bluetooth screen

Same was said with the key fob in my former Model S’s and it still worked great. I’m less concerned about the handful of times we get in the car at the same time (default to a primary) vs the times we use the car solo and it doesn’t differentiate at all when it should be pretty simple to do so.

We have the same problem with key fobs in my wife's Escape. However I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to solve most cases, by setting a priority. I'm guessing most people are like my wife and I. If we are both in the car, 99% of the time a particular one of us is driving (in our case, me)

Reactions: JPUConn
We have the same problem with key fobs in my wife's Escape. However I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to solve most cases, by setting a priority. I'm guessing most people are like my wife and I. If we are both in the car, 99% of the time a particular one of us is driving (in our case, me)

Yes, it's possible... this is "just" software - most anything is possible.

But it's going a rabbit hole of predictability.

How many seconds between "detections" is appropriate?

IE - let's say I'm set as the priority ...
It picks up my wife's phone first.
Then, 7 seconds later, I get in the car.

Does it leave the vehicle on my settings, as I'm the priority? Does it change to her profile because it didn't pick me up for 7 seconds? What's appropriate for the "priority detection timeout"? 5 seconds? 10? 2? anytime before the car's in drive? Do we make it user adjustable?

What if I'm standing in the driveway close enough so it detects me, but my wife's taking the car out somewhere? Should it switch to her settings if she opens the door and gets in but I don't? What if I get in a minute later? Would it switch back to me?

It's just a very complex set of scenarios, of which I can see many ways for the behavior to /appear/ unpredictable, when it's actually working as designed. Unpredictability is a user interface failure, no matter whether it's working as-designed or not.

But getting in the car and pressing "Here's who I am?" That's 100% predictable.

The more and more I think about it, the more and more the "leave the profile based on who drove last" makes sense.

In your particular case, since 99% of the time you're the one driving, 99% of the time it'll be on your setting anyway. Making it phone-detection-dependent would actually introduce unpredictability and increase the likelihood that you'd be on the wrong profile. That'd be counterproductive.... in your case, and most likely, in many cases. Mine included.

Now, if someone said "hey, let's use the interior facing camera for facial recognition of who's in the driver's seat...." -- we'd be on to something.