Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why am I seeing ads from other auto makers that encourage no monitoring of vehicle while driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was the guy in the commercial watching his own commercial on the TV? I think that would destroy the universe
Nah, it just destroys the Mercedes. It gets sucked into a wormhole created by it's own TV screen, leaving nothing but a trail of small turquoise sparks on the road. Happens quite a bit - every time this Ad comes on, actually.

They've actually sold quite a lot of these EQS's, only a few remain. The insurance is going through the roof.

Hard to believe “no driver attention” is considered legally safe.
SAE level 3 allows that, but when the car tells the driver to take over, the driver must take over.

I.e. the car knows when it will not be capable of handling a situation in order to tell the driver to take over, rather than requiring constant supervision by the driver because it may do something unsafe without knowing that it is unsafe.

The limitations of where Mercedes-Benz Drive Pilot level 3 automation may be used are given at DRIVE PILOT Automated Driving . Note that the number of approved freeways is limited to a few in California and Nevada, and it must be daytime with clear weather, have clear lane markings, and be under 40mph if there is moderate to heavy traffic.

The SAE definitions of automation levels are given at SAE Levels of Driving Automation™ Refined for Clarity and International Audience

Mercedes-Benz Drive Pilot is only available on the EQS and S-class for now.

Tesla & Elon have said nothing about assuming liabilities for accidents while using FSD in the future like Mercedes did. Who does Elon think will cover autotaxi accidents?
Tesla's "current" plan is for them to produce and likely own and operate the robotaxi fleet. In all likelihood our current cars will NEVER reach L4 so not a concern. So the real issue is if Tesla offers L3 (I believe L2/FSDS, just improving, is likely it). Tesla seems to say your current insurance should cover your car. However this is yet to be decided upon by the insurance industry since they want a driver to be responsible.

SAE level 3 allows that, but when the car tells the driver to take over, the driver must take over.

I.e. the car knows when it will not be capable of handling a situation in order to tell the driver to take over, rather than requiring constant supervision by the driver because it may do something unsafe without knowing that it is unsafe.

The limitations of where Mercedes-Benz Drive Pilot level 3 automation may be used are given at DRIVE PILOT Automated Driving . Note that the number of approved freeways is limited to a few in California and Nevada, and it must be daytime with clear weather, have clear lane markings, and be under 40mph if there is moderate to heavy traffic.

The SAE definitions of automation levels are given at SAE Levels of Driving Automation™ Refined for Clarity and International Audience

Mercedes-Benz Drive Pilot is only available on the EQS and S-class for now.

Slight correction, it's not "be under 40mph if moderate or heavy traffic" it's "be under 40mph."

The DRIVE PILOT function enables automated driving on structurally separated, at least two-lane highways at speeds of up to 40 mph (65 km/h).

IMO the biggest problem with the commercial is them showing the car driving on a dinky little 2 lane highway, when all of their coverage right now iirc is large freeways.

ETA:

Also this made me dig up their manual and...what.

In rare cases, DRIVE PILOT may not react to con-
tact from other road users and there will accord-
ingly be no request to take over control of the
vehicle. This can also be the case with minor colli-
sions.

Last edited:

Required operating conditions​

Building over a century of trust in drivers across the globe begins and ends with safety. DRIVE PILOT is ready to chauffeur you under conditions that help ensure a secure ride. Conditions include:
  • Clear lane markings on approved freeways
  • Moderate to heavy traffic with speeds under 40 MPH
  • Daytime lighting and clear weather
  • Driver visible by camera located above driver's display
  • There is no construction zone present.

I doubt it will work on two lane roads anytime soon. I hope getting it to work at full speed on freeways and at night are the next steps. That would be amazing.

Reactions: flutas and JulienW
Horrible that Mercedes is showing that owner watching a sporting event on his display while on the road. Believe it would violate US laws by enabling the screen to show video to the person supposed to be driving. There are also laws about driving while using a cell phone.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Horrible that Mercedes is showing that owner watching a sporting event on his display while on the road. Believe it would violate US laws by enabling the screen to show video to the person supposed to be driving. There are also laws about driving while using a cell phone.
Not when it’s SAE Level 3 in autonomous mode. Legally it would be no different than being on your phone while riding in a Waymo.

I noticed that ad as well. Wha?? But the ad doesn't say anything about the limitations. But good for Mercedes. It's a nice looking interior, I have to say.

I know Elon's statements are always suspect, but it's clear he wants the robotaxi, and I expect FSD will keep getting more cautious towards that end. If he's predicting August 2024 then maybe in 2027...

I noticed that ad as well. Wha?? But the ad doesn't say anything about the limitations. But good for Mercedes. It's a nice looking interior, I have to say.

I know Elon's statements are always suspect, but it's clear he wants the robotaxi, and I expect FSD will keep getting more cautious towards that end. If he's predicting August 2024 then maybe in 2027...
1713194605113.png

Gotta read the fine print!
"the vehicle is not being shown on DRIVE PILOT mapped roadway" haha

• Informative
Reactions: CapsEngineer
Welcome to the future. I've see Waymo cars in Los Angeles with no driver in them at all.

I have my doubts about the safety of Mercedes system. Time will tell.
I wouldn’t risk my life by trusting Mercedes’ level 3 system yet. And when I encountered an empty Waymo briefly stopped outside the entrance of my Chandler, AZ grocery store a couple weeks ago, I gave it a wide berth when walking around it😀

I wouldn’t risk my life by trusting Mercedes’ level 3 system yet.....
Irrational bias. But you are willing to risk your life trusting driving next to a DUI driver that you don't know about. In the US almost 40 people EVERY DAY or almost 14,000 people every year or about 1 person every ½ hour are killed by DUI drivers. So far Mercedes has killed, or even injured 0 people.

Irrational bias. But you are willing to risk your life trusting driving next to a DUI driver that you don't know about. In the US almost 40 people EVERY DAY or almost 14,000 people every year or about 1 person every ½ hour are killed by DUI drivers. So far Mercedes has killed, or even injured 0 people.
Mercedes hasn’t driven anywhere near enough miles to prove safety so it’s not irrational to be skeptical. Fatality rate is about 1 per 100 million miles (and likely FAR less in the conditions that Mercedes drive pilot can operate in). For example what if every billion miles it drives straight into a steel I beam extending off the back of a truck?

Mercedes hasn’t driven anywhere near enough miles to prove safety so it’s not irrational to be skeptical. Fatality rate is about 1 per 100 million miles (and likely FAR less in the conditions that Mercedes drive pilot can operate in). For example what if every billion miles it drives straight into a steel I beam extending off the back of a truck?
Do you "risk your life" and use FSD on Interstates? They why would you not use the Mercedes L3 while being the same level of attentive you feel the need? It is NOT a requirement that you read a book or watch a move while using it. You can keep your eyes on the road JUST like when you use FSD.

• Funny
Reactions: flutas and E90alex
Do you "risk your life" and use FSD on Interstates? They why would you not use the Mercedes L3 while being the same level of attentive you feel the need? It is NOT a requirement that you read a book or watch a move while using it. You can keep your eyes on the road JUST like when you use FSD.
Then I might as well use it in L2 mode. That way I won’t have to fiddle around with reengaging once it goes over 40mph.
Honestly I would probably use it in L3 mode and take advantage of what that allows. I’m just saying that it’s rational to be skeptical when there are so few miles of data.

Reactions: flutas
I’m just saying that it’s rational to be skeptical when there are so few miles of data.
How do you know that? They don’t publish how many miles of test data they have. They could have silently collected data for years from cars using their L2 systems.

An L3 system is not any fundamentally different from an L2 system other than the automaker is confident enough in its abilities to prove to regulators it does not require attention and that they will assume liability should an accident occur because of the system.

Tesla could make FSD L3 if they felt it was good enough and they were willing to accept liability. But they don’t want to do that.

How do you know that? They don’t publish how many miles of test data they have. They could have silently collected data for years from cars using their L2 systems.

An L3 system is not any fundamentally different from an L2 system other than the automaker is confident enough in its abilities to prove to regulators it does not require attention and that they will assume liability should an accident occur because of the system.

Tesla could make FSD L3 if they felt it was good enough and they were willing to accept liability. But they don’t want to do that.
I don’t think they have lidar on their L2 system so the L3 system is a very different system.
Mercedes did 58k miles of testing in California last year.

Irrational bias or common sense? I would use their system just as I use Tesla’s — with full attention. I never said I wouldn’t use it, just wouldn’t trust it.

Comparing my lack of trust in Mercedes system to drunken drivers is irrational. One risk I don’t need to assume in order to drive a car. The other is a risk that can’t be avoided, except of course it can limited somewhat by avoiding the bar scenes and 2am cruises.

If Mercedes system was so rock solid it wouldn’t be so limited in the places it can be activated. And don’t say it’s the regulators to blame, at least in states like our Wild West AZ that allows anything, even driverless Waymo’s.

Last edited: