Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why bother to pre-order the new Model 3 (or whatever it is called now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep. The Nevada electric highway site in Beatty has 8 Superchargers and one combo SAE DC/CHAdeMO station. So which is better again?

I'm sorry cfttester but you have yet to make any logical argument. If someone wants to reserve a Model 3 and can afford to have $1,000 sit outside the market for 2 years then they will get their car earlier and that may be important to them. If you are truly here with good intentions then you might want to do a little more reading to be better informed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaff
But they have more locations (and here we are going on forth loop)
More locations scattered about (and few along highways) is not helpful when planning a trip. You need to be able to charge at various intervals along the trip.

Pulling into one that is full, then having to locate another one, often 20 miles or more (sometime much more, further than entire range), and driving out of you way to get there, is not practical.

Superchargers make route planning easy and reliable, it leads to lower stress and more enjoyable driving. That is worth quite a bit to many people, and can easily be a deal breaker when buying an EV.

Reactions: dsm363
Obviously I can dig enough negative responses on Tesla Charging Stations and present them vs a perfect experience at CHAdeMO station (For example, can they charge more then one car at a maximum rate at the same time?). But this is a topic for a separate discussion.

The other fact to consider is there is no viable business model for L3 charging other than what Tesla is doing... by directly funding the network with car sales. Nissan kicks a few bucks to support charging but they don't own the network and don't have a vested interest in the same way Tesla does. CHAdeMO and SAE largely exist due to good will from businesses or local government subsidies. What is the most L3 connectors that exist in one location? 4? Compare that to superchargers where 4 is the minimum, 6 is pretty standard and even 12 is becoming pretty common. A bunch of broadly spaced single L3 chargers is more of a novelty than a network since even one other can lead to a lengthy wait.

I'm trying to disconnect decision to reserve Model 3 from existence of "free" Tesla Chargers. Because it's one of many features of the car and likely will be available as an option for some $$$$
The difference between the Model 3 and everything else that may compete with it, is that the Model 3 will have the option to access Tesla superchargers, while other cars will not. Whether that access incurs a $1000 or even a $2500 one-time fee, or is "included" in the price is practically irrelevant. The key word is "access."

You won't be able to pay $2,500 or even $10,000 to get your Chevy Bolt access to the Tesla SuperCharger network. And if Tesla does charge $2000 for SC access for the Model 3, that's still a lower combined price than the base Chevy Bolt (which is targeted to be priced at $37,500 - "around $30,000 after incentives").

Reactions: JRP3
But they have more locations (and here we are going on forth loop)

No, I'm trying to disconnect decision to reserve Model 3 from existence of "free" Tesla Chargers. Because it's one of many features of the car and likely will be available as an option for some $$$$
What you are entirely missing (maybe on purpose) is that number of locations while important is only helpful if they are where you need them to be. Yes, people don't travel cross country every day but they do like to go places on the weekend. How will you travel with a Leaf on a 250 mile day trip if the CHAdeMO stations are in the city you are leaving (you are already fully charged in your garage) and at your destination city 125 miles away but nothing in-between? How about driving a Leaf from San Antonio to Houston?

Guys. He's a TROLL!! Stop feeding him! I mean honestly. Didn't he lose all credibility pages ago? Never owned a Tesla/Leaf is perfectly fine/CHAdeMO is superior/Never used a Supercharger yet they are overrated/Etc etc etc.

I mean honestly. Let this thread die.

This is a troll piñata. The point of the game is to keep bashing it until delicious treats pour out.

troll.jpg

But, would you agree, that the chance Model 3 is getting 85kwh battery is pretty much 0?
Not 0. There will be a base model and a longer range model. I expect the long range model to offer close to 300 miles of range. I expect they'll be able to do that with an 80 kWh pack on the smaller/lighter Model 3 but that's just my expectation. I'm guessing 60 and 80. It could be 55/75 but Bolt is already announced as having a 60 kWh battery so I expect Model 3 will too. It could also be 70/90, but I think this may be overkill (and may raise the cost too high).

My point was with newer battery pack design/upgraded SuperChargers/upgraded charging system, and a lighter/more efficient car, Supercharging will probably add at least 150 miles of range per 1/2 hour to the base Model 3, even if the base battery does use a 60 kWh pack.

Reactions: Jaff and nwdiver
It belongs in this discussion, because you are asking why someone would preorder a Model 3, when all these other "200 mile range EVs" will be available by the time it ships. S

Perhaps true, but my of my driving experience is having a nice looking ride, and IMO, the i3, and the Leaf, are ugly. Not a fan of the Prius rolling egg shell either, but obviously many are.

Reactions: MrBoylan
Perhaps true, but my of my driving experience is having a nice looking ride, and IMO, the i3, and the Leaf, are ugly. Not a fan of the Prius rolling egg shell either, but obviously many are.
That's a very good point. I expect the Model 3 will be sleeker and sexier than the others. I for one, would love a radical design that really emphasizes the low drag coefficient, like the VW XL1. But I admit my sensibilities may be different from the norm. I drove (and loved) a classic Saab 900 for a number of years, so my taste in automobile design is clearly suspect.

No, I'm trying to disconnect decision to reserve Model 3 from existence of "free" Tesla Chargers. Because it's one of many features of the car and likely will be available as an option for some $$$$

Speculation, but even if true, so what? It's an option no other cars even offer.

Let's wait and count how many time he will use word "cool" describing Mod 3 :)

Irrelevant. I expect him to a number of times, it's the way he speaks.

I'm talking about auto summon.

You didn't say that, not that it matters.

I'm not an expert in press relations, but I know a thing or two about software development. I'm not 100% sure that press was exactly "free".

All the hardware was in place, as was likely most of the software. You're grasping at straws, as you have been this entire thread.

Reactions: Jaff
Bottom line, if you think you want a Model 3, if you can spare the $1K, and if you don't have another use for it that could return better than 50% or so in the next 2 years, why wouldn't you put down a deposit? It's going to move you up in the line and it could be a significant amount. I just don't see the downside to reserving.

Fair point. I agree if you can spare the $1000 you may as well put it down as it represents the possibility you will get the car sooner so what's the harm. I think the potential upside of the in store advantage for me "down under" has disappeared but will reserve online. If there's a chance that reserving and spec'ing up the correct model will result in earlier delivery then why not take a punt on it?

...The difference in price between a top of the line Model 3 and Model S 70D should not be that big.
Certainly it will be. The top-of-the-line Model 3 will be more expensive than the bottom of the line Model S. Compare any given BMW, Mercedes Benz or Audi line from top to bottom and you'll see it clearly. Bottom US BMW 3 is $34,145 and loaded top is ~$99,000. Current Model S ranges from $70,000 to $144,500.

Model 3 top-of-the line will almost certainly be around $100,000. That is my budget for the one I'll order and I expect no change from the budget. I definitely would not want a stripper with no autopilot, RWD, and so on. Some people want the basic one. That is why every car builder builds a wide range in the same vehicle line.

Certainly it will be. The top-of-the-line Model 3 will be more expensive than the bottom of the line Model S. Compare any given BMW, Mercedes Benz or Audi line from top to bottom and you'll see it clearly. Bottom US BMW 3 is $34,145 and loaded top is ~$99,000. Current Model S ranges from $70,000 to $144,500.

Model 3 top-of-the line will almost certainly be around $100,000. That is my budget for the one I'll order and I expect no change from the budget. I definitely would not want a stripper with no autopilot, RWD, and so on. Some people want the basic one. That is why every car builder builds a wide range in the same vehicle line.
If it comes with the stripper, I might be inclined to pay a little more. She can be my autopilot. :)

For a long time, car manufacturers have know that, at the same price, people generally prefer a well-optioned smaller car to a bare-bones larger car.

If I'm going to spend THAT much money on a vehicle, I want what I want. I'm hopefully going to have a well-stocked Model 3. Putting the options I want on a Model S is *WAY* out of my price range.