Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why bother to pre-order the new Model 3 (or whatever it is called now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread went in a wrong direction...
My intention was not to discuss expected features of Model 3 (that I don't know anything about) or compare it to an upcoming competitors (that I know very little about), or to find-out that the most important feature of Tesla cars is, apparently, Supercharger :). My point is quite simple - before considering to put a deposit for Mod 3 you should check Model X forum for the current experience with reservation process at Tesla Motors (70D Model X Delivery Start for example). A lot of folks, who ordered cars in the lover price range are quite unhappy after waiting for two years and then for one more year and ... apparently for one more year again. :(

• Disagree
Reactions: TMS and jkk_
Two reasons for me pre-ordering - 1) other car is a Jetta TDI right now ("clean" diesel *cough* ... bought the Model S before the first supercharger was built and had the TDI already), and I'm not sure it'll get fixed or recalled and crushed in the next 2 years. Either one of those things could happen, then we'll be needing another car. 2) I like my Model S and would like having a smaller version.

There will be plenty of chances to exit if things go sideways, so no worries.

Reactions: GSP
My intention was not to discuss expected features of Model 3 (that I don't know anything about) or compare it to an upcoming competitors (that I know very little about),

Then why did you?

My point is quite simple - before considering to put a deposit for Mod 3 you should check Model X forum for the current experience with reservation process at Tesla Motors

Since we are all quite familiar with what could happen with the reservation process let me suggest your real motive, spreading FUD in a desperate attempt to talk some people out of a Model 3 reservation, probably because you have invested foolishly in a short position in TSLA and are terrified at what is looking to be an avalanche of Model 3 reservations which will likely drive the share price ever higher. No one here thinks you are really concerned for our well being, nor do we need you playing nanny for us.

This thread went in a wrong direction...
My intention was not to discuss expected features of Model 3 (that I don't know anything about) or compare it to an upcoming competitors (that I know very little about), or to find-out that the most important feature of Tesla cars is, apparently, Supercharger :). My point is quite simple - before considering to put a deposit for Mod 3 you should check Model X forum for the current experience with reservation process at Tesla Motors (70D Model X Delivery Start for example). A lot of folks, who ordered cars in the lover price range are quite unhappy after waiting for two years and then for one more year and ... apparently for one more year again. :(
The Model 3 is unlikely to be significantly delayed. The Model X was pushed out in time because the Model S was such a big success that there was little need to introduce the X. While the Model 3 is critical to the success of Tesla. It has to be on time, and as far as I can tell, it seems to be the top priority at Tesla. The Model 3 also won't have very new and untested features, to cause unexpected delays.

I have had two Model X reservations, and I don't regret it. The first one (production #14) was cancelled because we were thinking about building a house. The second one (production #27XX) was cancelled because the NOK weakened significantly, increasing the price by 30%, as well as the lack of folding 2nd row seats. The reservations were fairly cheap insurances that if I decided to buy a Model X, I would get it as soon as possible. The ~150 USD in lost interest were well worth the potential reduction in delivery time.

Reactions: GSP and jkk_
More like 1/2 then 1/3. And 200 mile range Leaf will be available for sure before Model E
Not really. Leaf is expected to have 150-mile range in 2018 model year:

Exclusive Leak: 2017 & 2018 Nissan LEAFs To Have ~130 & ~150 Miles of Range

I'd love to see a longer range Nissan or Infiniti before then. Maybe the "Needle" because it's evergreen. :) But haven't seen any formal or informal announcements related to that. And it still doesn't solve the high speed charging network issue.

Then why did you?
Sorry, I got carried away when somebody suggested that the most important feature of a car - ability to go cross-country :)

Since we are all quite familiar with what could happen with the reservation process let me suggest your real motive, spreading FUD in a desperate attempt to talk some people out of a Model 3 reservation, probably because you have invested foolishly in a short position in TSLA and are terrified at what is looking to be an avalanche of Model 3 reservations which will likely drive the share price ever higher. No one here thinks you are really concerned for our well being, nor do we need you playing nanny for us.
Official disclaimer (since it was brought up a couple of times) - I don't have any stock or option position in Tesla Motors or plans to take one. I do have a bit of F and this is pretty much all my participation in the auto industry.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: WierdMobile and TMS
Not really. Leaf is expected to have 150-mile range in 2018 model year:

Exclusive Leak: 2017 & 2018 Nissan LEAFs To Have ~130 & ~150 Miles of Range

I'd love to see a longer range Nissan or Infiniti before then. Maybe the "Needle" because it's evergreen. :) But haven't seen any formal or informal announcements related to that. And it still doesn't solve the high speed charging network issue.
The Gen 2 prototype has 60kwh battery. Likely they will have 40kwh too. But again, this is not a point of this thread. You could start your own, something like - Leaf Gen 2, Model 3, or Honda HA-420, what is the better choice for cross country rides? (again a sarcasm emoticon).

• Disagree
Reactions: TMS
Best case you will get it 3 month faster...

Hahahahahahhahahahahahha.....great typo.
Obviously not. Fanboism is not so strong there. (what was the sarcasm emoticon proposal?)

Or, there's just nothing compelling enough coming out of anywhere else to warrant such a 'shut up and take my money!' response as there is with Tesla vehicles - that also speak to the heart of what we leave behind for our children, grandchildren and future generations.

People are assuming that Model 3 will be delayed. Let them assume. I think it will be released on schedule. Bolt and Leaf are pretty boring in comparison to Tesla cars. I believe Model 3 will be as sexy and functional as it's bigger siblings are. And the waiting line is going to huge. I will suggest people should reserve it as fast as they can.