Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why bother to pre-order the new Model 3 (or whatever it is called now)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the reason behind pre-ordering a Signature edition. Beyond that we know that Tesla will prioritize fully-equipped cars no matter when you put a deposit. So, would it be easier to go ahead and order Model S instead. The difference in price between a top of the line Model 3 and Model S 70D should not be that big.
i have a 1-car garage, and i spend a lot of time in the city. it's me, my wife and 2 small dogs, so a model s is too big. a model 3 works out to be just the right size, and will actually be slightly bigger than either car we have right now.
that's why

Because I have nothing better to do with $1K besides offer an interest-free loan to Tesla.
Send it to Doctors Without Borders or something

Because I've been drinking Tesla Kool Aid since 2012.
Stop it it's not healthy

Because as much as I love so much about the Model S, she's a wide bodied sedan and I'd be more comfortable in a car that's 20% smaller.
In 2 years there will be number of smaller then Mod S options with ~200 mile range. Most of then do not need an advanced reservation.

Because I've been worried about global CO2 levels since roughly 1995 so screw the "extended range because we added a gas engine."
Stop going "extended" distances. After all, EVs produce CO2 emission too, just less and slightly away.

Because GM killed the EV-1 and I think bad/shady business decisions should have repercussions so they aren't getting my money even after they fixed the stupid console buttons on the Volt.
New Leaf will be released around the same time as Bolt. Do you have anything against Nissan? ;)

Because I'm still worried about Nissan LEAF battery management. Plus, if I'm gonna replace my smart it'll be with something with a larger gain in range or else I'd just keep the smart.
Just don't. In exchange I will not worry about water in the stop lights (model S) or uneven gaps between panels on Model X

Because Tesla service has been pretty much top notch IME and talking with Tesla peeps is entirely pleasant and fun and just about every car dealership gives me an instant stomachache. In fact, I'd like to support the death of the dealership model in any way I can.
Never ever had any problems with BMW or Audi or MB service. I suspect it somehow correlated with how much you overpaid for your car.

Because we already have a vehicle that works well for long trips so while the SC network is of interest to me, if the Model 3 has a 200 mile range, I would rarely need to charge mid-trip if ever.
I really appreciate, that you are not bringing cross-country trips. I'm surprised.

• Disagree
Reactions: TMS
Other makers do not have fast charging options. Even if you happen to live in California or the East Coast, the other charging networks are poorly managed, are about 1/3rd the charging speed of a supercharger, and generally are horrible.

Sorry, but my idea of a road trip does not include charging an hour for every hour spent driving.
More like 1/2 then 1/3. And 200 mile range Leaf will be available for sure before Model E

• Disagree
Shame on you. A highly educated one percenter should know, that there are no basements in Bay Area :(.
52 hours of driving non-stop are surely more enjoyable :)

Shame on you for assuming I'm highly educated or a one percenter. I didn't assume you were in the Bay Area simply because you put that down as your location, surely you didn't assume I was in California because that's what I put down as my location. Should I presume your family and friends call you cfttester? ;)

52 hours of driving non-stop wouldn't be enjoyable, but then nobody does that anyway...unless you're doing a Cannonball run, or trying to set a World Record of some sort, or trying to come up with content for that novel you've been working on for 6 years that nobody is going to buy (how many empty soda cans do you need for a 52 hour non-stop drive?), or some other one-off. Without even mentioning that it's not even possible to drive non-stop for 52 hours. How are we refueling your i3 with REX without stopping? How's your Leaf Autopilot work so you can keep going and catch a few z's? So yeah, silly argument, grasping at straws, nothing of substance, etc., etc., etc...

More like 1/2 then 1/3. And 200 mile range Leaf will be available for sure before Model E

52 hours of driving non-stop are surely more enjoyable

It's only 52 hours of driving if you're using chademo or CCS chargers :D

I own a Leaf now, there is absolutely nothing Nissan can do or release that will cause me to choose the Leaf 2 over a Tesla. Almost every Leaf owner I've met locally agrees with me.

You're not doing a very good job at trolling.

Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Shame on you for assuming I'm highly educated or a one percenter. I didn't assume you were in the Bay Area simply because you put that down as your location, surely you didn't assume I was in California because that's what I put down as my location. Should I presume your family and friends call you cfttester? ;)
No shame on me :). You assumed I'm living on my mom's basement, so I naturally assume you are a one percenter.

How are we refueling your i3 with REX without stopping? How's your Leaf Autopilot work so you can keep going and catch a few z's? So yeah, silly argument, grasping at straws, nothing of substance, etc., etc., etc...
Are you seriously comparing cars that are already in production for 3-5 years with a car that hopefully will be in production in 3-5 years?

• Disagree
Me too. And I had Mod X reservation and there is absolutely nothing Tesla Motors could offer that I will make a reservation with them again. When their cars will be available "in store" - call me. I might be in a timeframe to buy a new car.

That's your choice. Enjoy your dependency on gasoline, because a Leaf with 200 miles of range is just as much a local-only driver as a Leaf is. The "local" area is just larger.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
On the route from LA to SJ there are a plenty of CHAdeMO chargers along 99. Now, I hope you are aware that from time and money point of view your 800 mile round trip will cost more on Tesla then on an airplane. And there are a plenty of flight options between these two locations.
First off, 99 adds at least 30 minutes to the trip vs. I-5. Secondly, fly to San Jose? Pfft, please.

Flying to San Jose would mean driving one to two hours each way to an airport (depending on whether I'd be flying out of BUR or LAX), plus wait time, plus flight time, plus car rental from SJC, plus drive time to destination. On top of that, the flight would have to be scheduled with a return well in advance, I really couldn't take stuff with me, it would cost money (like $430 round trip, assuming booking months in advance and avoiding holidays), and overall would just be a real PITA.

Driving takes 5 hours non-stop by ICE and about 5.5 hours in the Model S due to the charging stop, I can do whatever I want from a scheduling standpoint, I don't have to drive into LA proper, I can take whatever I want with me (as well as shop up there and bring stuff back without concern), it's more relaxing, and doesn't actually cost me anything other than my time and a little bit of wear on the Model S (haven't paid for electricity for years thanks to PV and TOU net metering). Even driving my ICE didn't cost more than $100 round trip when gas was more expensive.

While the rest of the people enjoyed 8 hour flight from LAX to NYC.

That is perfectly fine for most people when you talk about air transportation.

When I started to look at ordering a Model S, people told me a 40 kWh battery Model would be fine for me.

They told me, if I need to drive further, either rent a car or fly.

I am glad I did not listen to them.

I am done with being molested by those touchy hands at an airport security line.

I've had it with being scanned with their "harmless" rays at an airport.

I would take my slow Tesla rather a fast airplane if I have a choice.

And so far, for the past 4 years, I have been doing that with my Tesla in a radius as far south as San Diego, as far east as Las Vegas, and as far north as Sacramento.

All those with practically zero cost for fuel on the road (85 kWh owners all already paid the fuel cost as it's a built-in total purchase price.)

Flying by yourself alone may not be that expensive, but when you start doubling up or bringing a whole family of 4 or 5, then the flying cost may not be cheap anymore.

However, that is still off topic.

However, if you want to go off topic and praise how great it is at an airport security line, then that is perfectly fine.

I quit that for the past 4 years and don't intend to ever do that again!

If a gasoline car can do a cross country trip without be lost because some gas stations were out-of-order, then can an Electric Car reliably do the same? And which one can do so with the least time?

Reactions: GSP
Let me reiterate. Supercharger is a proprietary technology paid by the marketing department of Tesla Motors. CHAdeMO is one of the open standards supported by a number of charger manufacturers as well as EV manufacturers. Usually the service at CHAdeMO station is paid. Now, what is your opinion, which model is more sustainable? In 2 years?

You do realize that the Bolt doesn't support CHAdeMO, right, but the Tesla does.