Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm. Didn't know my biggest concern could be summed up in three words: Right to Repair.

Hopefully we get some updates from Tesla on this matter since it's been half a year since it promised it will be working to open these things to independent shops and owners.
Tesla is working on opening up its service tools and helping owners repair their own cars with replacement parts

Yep 3-4 month repair times for accident Tesla’s is a bad thing. They definitely have a few things to work out in regards to repairs.

Reactions: internalaudit
Have not cancelled, but I think I am pulling the trigger on a new car. Looking at the Audi S4, which I had a chance to sit in the other day. Incredible car, lots of tech, and I think it scratches the itch of a quick smallish 4 door.

Not giving up on Tesla, but I think the end product is just too different than what I originally anticipated.

Reactions: msnow
Have not cancelled, but I think I am pulling the trigger on a new car. Looking at the Audi S4, which I had a chance to sit in the other day. Incredible car, lots of tech, and I think it scratches the itch of a quick smallish 4 door.

Not giving up on Tesla, but I think the end product is just too different than what I originally anticipated.

Think you might want to hold off on that S4. I'm waiting to experience this PMOI that I just read about: The secret to the Model 3's handling • r/teslamotors

Think you might want to hold off on that S4. I'm waiting to experience this PMOI that I just read about: The secret to the Model 3's handling • r/teslamotors
I really don't think that has much impact to the overall handling. Sure, it may contribute, but I believe the significant factor is just the low vertical center of gravity of the pack itself. When a good portion of the weight, say 25%-30% of the total is maybe a foot off the ground that to me is the significant factor. Even though the 3 pack is shorter than the wheelbase, the difference compared to an S is pretty insignificant in my opinion.

Compared to an ICE whose vertical center of gravity will be significantly higher save but some true sports cars and even then are most likely still higher than what a BEV can achieve with battery pack in the floor. That's the real secret.

I really don't think that has much impact to the overall handling. Sure, it may contribute, but I believe the significant factor is just the low vertical center of gravity of the pack itself. When a good portion of the weight, say 25%-30% of the total is maybe a foot off the ground that to me is the significant factor. Even though the 3 pack is shorter than the wheelbase, the difference compared to an S is pretty insignificant in my opinion.

Compared to an ICE whose vertical center of gravity will be significantly higher save but some true sports cars and even then are most likely still higher than what a BEV can achieve with battery pack in the floor. That's the real secret.

Did you read the article?!?! It's discussing PMOI = polar-moment-of-inertia, NOT center-of-gravity. For vehicle _agility_, PMOI is more important, and goes towards making the model 3 more trackable and thus place another nail in the ICE coffin.

I forgot to add - I will never own another ICE. I don't care if one model has <insert feature here>.
I started driving EV nearly four years ago and I'm willing to give up many <insert feature here> for staying that way.

Difference for me is that I would rather be driving any decent EV and not some crappy dinosaur burning ICE that's pretending to be a modern car.
You can keep your <insert ICE engined car builder here> - I'm going staying electric and staying with the future instead of clinging to past pretending there's no choice.

We got a Model S CPO with Autopilot 1 to rent out to a friend waiting for his M3. Afterwards we might replace our Porsche with the Model S, but we're keeping our 2 M3 reservations too. The old Porsche might also be replaced with the Porsche Mission E or Tesla Roadster. The Tesla Supercharger Network is really a strong advantage. And I'm curious to find out where Autopilot 2 will stand at the years end.

Reactions: FlatSix911

Good read and a nice reminder, thanks for posting. I remember reading those articles when they came out and how they added to my excitement for the model 3. I have not cancelled and probably won't until I at least get to drive the car, but the S4 is still probably happening.

There are a couple things weighing on my mind when it comes to the Model 3 and each alone is not that big of a deal, but in total they are stacking up. I have serious concerns around product quality of a new design and new car by an inexperienced manufacturer at this scale. I strongly believe they will fix whatever the issues are and long term it will not be a problem, just not sure I want to pay to be along for the ride anymore. Also, it feels like they are very behind on scaling production and I don't trust the Dec to Feb timeline. Another is that after driving the Volvo XC90 which relies on a touch screen for a lot of controls, I am not sure I want even more pushed to the screen. And the weirdest one is actually my biggest pet peeve, the wiper controls. I adjust the speed often during a rain storm and I don't want to use the touch screen for that either.

Because of how I was feeling I decided to look for a back up car. Someone I would get if I decided to not buy the model 3 after driving it. I found the S4 and fell in love with the car. We didn't mean for it to happen ;-)

I am keeping my deposit with Tesla for the time being and won't move forward until December on the S4 (year to remember event) so there is still some time, but all things are point to 4 rings in my future.

• Helpful
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
Good read and a nice reminder, thanks for posting. I remember reading those articles when they came out and how they added to my excitement for the model 3. I have not cancelled and probably won't until I at least get to drive the car, but the S4 is still probably happening.

There are a couple things weighing on my mind when it comes to the Model 3 and each alone is not that big of a deal, but in total they are stacking up. I have serious concerns around product quality of a new design and new car by an inexperienced manufacturer at this scale. I strongly believe they will fix whatever the issues are and long term it will not be a problem, just not sure I want to pay to be along for the ride anymore. Also, it feels like they are very behind on scaling production and I don't trust the Dec to Feb timeline. Another is that after driving the Volvo XC90 which relies on a touch screen for a lot of controls, I am not sure I want even more pushed to the screen. And the weirdest one is actually my biggest pet peeve, the wiper controls. I adjust the speed often during a rain storm and I don't want to use the touch screen for that either.

Because of how I was feeling I decided to look for a back up car. Someone I would get if I decided to not buy the model 3 after driving it. I found the S4 and fell in love with the car. We didn't mean for it to happen ;-)

I am keeping my deposit with Tesla for the time being and won't move forward until December on the S4 (year to remember event) so there is still some time, but all things are point to 4 rings in my future.

I think a lot of people that reserved a model 3 are looking at Audi and Tesla. I'm in the same boat as you but am also looking at the S3/ RS3 too. Audi makes a really nice car and you know the fit and finish are going to be top notch. I'm waiting to hear about the AWD version of the model 3 and also to see reliability on first year cars. I'm lucky (in my opinion) to be a bit down the model 3 reservation list so should be a good number of cars on the road by the time I get to order mine. I agree about the wipers and honestly at this price and with all the sensors I can't believe the wipers aren't rain sensing. Really hoping this is something Tesla adds in a software update. On the flip side I really like the large screen for Navigation, I really like the included internet and streaming radio, I like that Tesla is always adding stuff with software updates. Lots to think about for sure. Really hoping Tesla can ramp up production and get these model 3's on the road. Really like their approach and what they are doing tech wise.

Reactions: internalaudit

Audi builds outstanding cars that are pretty reliable, and very fun to drive so I don't think you will be disappointed.

They do get pricey to operate outside of the factory warranty. I would say the 6-7 year mark is a pretty good time to get out of them before you need to do something like replace the timing belt. The engine in the V6 might be chain driven so that might not be a concern.

We share a lot of the same concerns, my reservation is for Feb-April but I'm highly skeptical it will happen then. Lease on my 340i is not up till September next year and I can probably squeeze a couple more months out of BMW if I work at it so don't necessarily have to decide till November.

The biggest thing pushing me towards the Tesla today is the $12,500 in tax incentives.

Reactions: THXULTRA
Audi builds outstanding cars that are pretty reliable, and very fun to drive so I don't think you will be disappointed.

They do get pricey to operate outside of the factory warranty. I would say the 6-7 year mark is a pretty good time to get out of them before you need to do something like replace the timing belt. The engine in the V6 might be chain driven so that might not be a concern.

We share a lot of the same concerns, my reservation is for Feb-April but I'm highly skeptical it will happen then. Lease on my 340i is not up till September next year and I can probably squeeze a couple more months out of BMW if I work at it so don't necessarily have to decide till November.

The biggest thing pushing me towards the Tesla today is the $12,500 in tax incentives.

Ya that tax incentive is really nice. You must get a state one also since yours is so high... My reservation is far enough off that I may not be able to get the tax incentive. Agree with what you say about long term cost of upkeep on a Audi. I would always lease a German luxary car because of maintenance cost in the long run. Any repairs on Audi, Mercedes or BMW are big bucks.

Did you read the article?!?! It's discussing PMOI = polar-moment-of-inertia, NOT center-of-gravity. For vehicle _agility_, PMOI is more important, and goes towards making the model 3 more trackable and thus place another nail in the ICE coffin.
I did say PMOI does contributes to the handling, but in my opinion the difference between the 3 and comparable cars in PMOI is not the significant factor driving the handling. The predominant trait contributing to the handling is the vertical CG.

Last edited:
Our current ownership experience with a 2016 A6 Prestige is to the contrary for a few issues, and the customer relations support was quite poor. Audi is in the "never again" category for us after two years of ownership.

It's been five years since I've had an Audi. I did not like my local dealer but other dealers in the area did a reasonable job.

My BMW dealer is literally 10 minutes from my house and has phenomenal service. It will be very hard to switch over to Tesla since their service center is not conveniently located for me. On the plus side the car shouldn't need much in the first few years of ownership... at least after all of the early production issues get sorted.

It's been five years since I've had an Audi. I did not like my local dealer but other dealers in the area did a reasonable job.

My BMW dealer is literally 10 minutes from my house and has phenomenal service. It will be very hard to switch over to Tesla since their service center is not conveniently located for me. On the plus side the car shouldn't need much in the first few years of ownership... at least after all of the early production issues get sorted.

Our Audi makes our BMW sitting next to it seem like a Toyota by comparison for quality...and our BMW dealer is also fantastic, but I really haven't needed repairs in three years with that one! Just a warning to those about to be taken in by a "pretty face" as we were. I'm hoping with my Feb-April timeframe for the M3 to also get one built with early issues resolved but must admit some of what I read here has had me wondering about the thread subject....canceling/postponing.

Our Audi makes our BMW sitting next to it seem like a Toyota by comparison for quality...and our BMW dealer is also fantastic, but I really haven't needed repairs in three years with that one! Just a warning to those about to be taken in by a "pretty face" as we were. I'm hoping with my Feb-April timeframe for the M3 to also get one built with early issues resolved but must admit some of what I read here has had me wondering about the thread subject....canceling/postponing.

I will stick it out right up to the point of ordering.

A lot of what will determine if I finalize my order will come down to;

1. State of builds.... reviews that cars are getting by regular owners, not die hard environmentalists or auto magazines.
2. Tax incentive - will I get the full incentive or only partial incentive for my order.
3. Availability of AWD.
4. Availability of interior color options other than black/white.

In my "perfect scenario":

1. Tesla delivers 200K vehicle April 1st.
2. Tesla then is able to rapidly ramp up delivery.
3. AWD available in September.
4. I'm able to delay my build until September when both AWD & full tax incentive are both available.
5. Tesla introduces AP 2.5 hardware into builds along with some other things like more color choices.

This is all extremely wishful thinking and has maybe 5% chance of becoming reality, but a guy can hope!