Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 239238

I went for the S. Thought about keeping my reservation but no key fob was the last straw. Too much of a weirdmobile for me.

These were my main disappointments:

• No glass roof as standard - I felt it was always implied this would be included
  • No key fob - I don't want to carry around a massive square swipe card in case my phone runs out - come on!
  • Continued secrecy over battery size
  • Still no UK price
  • Trunk access still compromised - if no glass roof then why no hatch?
  • No dash - I don't want to look to the side to see my speed or navigation instructions. Screen too cluttered to show everything like energy graph, turn instructions, speed, entertainment, etc.
Interesting. Some people can't make the leap with technology. Personally I'm incredibly happy with no keyfob, thank god for less crap in my pocket. And the minimal dash is outstanding, it's the future of the automobile.

Reactions: Red Sage
Last edited:
Bump --- Elon, until Team Tesla starts an actual ramp-up on the Model 3, does anyone care about a Level-5 Autonomous Three-Stage Reusable Semi With In-Transport Refueling? Make the 3 your only priority...

Sorry dudes / dudettes --- I bailed on (cancelled) my reservation today.

After reading the July 2nd Tesla release on their 2016 Q2 deliveries, I am becoming increasingly skeptical that the company, as currently managed, can deliver.

2016 Q2 was an unmitigated disaster on deliveries, regardless of how Tesla paints the -- very played-out -- ramp-up angle.

My perception: each quarter brings about new promises and proclamations, and each quarter sees let downs and well-phrased "ramp-up" wording. It feels like a politician (Hillary or Donald, take your pick) or news outlet, making promises or proclamations, that never materialize --- but they hope that you'll be so myopic that you'll forget what the promises were. I don't forget.

I PRAY I'm wrong and hope you keep this post and ping me in the future to let me know how spineless I am.

Peace out.

Bump --- Elon, until Team Tesla starts an actual ramp-up on the Model 3, does anyone care about a Level-5 Autonomous Three-Stage Reusable Semi With In-Transport Refueling? Make the 3 your only priority...
Not going to happen, at least not in my opinion. It's not in his psyche. He seems to be the kind of person that has to have 10 things going at once. Plus, I think if he was forced to pick one company of all of them to keep and sell his shares in the rest, he would keep Space X. I just get the feeling that is where his heart lies.

Just my opinion of course.

Dan

Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
Not going to happen, at least not in my opinion. It's not in his psyche. He seems to be the kind of person that has to have 10 things going at once. Plus, I think if he was forced to pick one company of all of them to keep and sell his shares in the rest, he would keep Space X. I just get the feeling that is where his heart lies.

Just my opinion of course.

Dan
Tesla will become obsolete when people are transported around the world in a matter of minutes by rocketship.
I guess boring co will as well

Tesla will become obsolete when people are transported around the world in a matter of minutes by rocketship.
I guess boring co will as well

Won't happen anytime soon. Getting that regulatory approval will be the thing of nightmares and oceans of bureaucratic red tape. I don't think the Chinese and the Russians would appreciate Musk, a private AMERICAN, to be building and launching what are essentially precision missiles from point to point on earth. They won't care about the mission of SpaceX in making humanity multiplanetary or shrinking the world, they'll just care about the capabilities of the tech and the possible defense implications (they'd also probably want to be the ones establishing moon/Mars colonies and shuttling people via rocket).

Not to mention that the point-to-point rocket trips would take time and resources away from looking towards the moon, Mars, and the outer solar system.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
After having just spent a week in Seychelles for my wife's birthday, and having it take 36 hours each way....I welcome our rocket-flying overlords.

Remember all the protests against the SST in the 1970's?

MIT said SST's would destroy the atmosphere and kill us all. That was later found to be false. Whoops. But a legend was born.

One of my biggest regrets was that I never got around to buying a ticket on the Concorde. Too late. I thought I'd have more time.

Reactions: Chopr147
Remember all the protests against the SST in the 1970's?

MIT said SST's would destroy the atmosphere and kill us all. That was later found to be false. Whoops. But a legend was born.

One of my biggest regrets was that I never got around to buying a ticket on the Concorde. Too late. I thought I'd have more time.

Same. :(

But if the BFR can set me down on a tropical island in the Indian Ocean in under an hour....I'd buy a ticket........LOL

One of my biggest regrets was that I never got around to buying a ticket on the Concorde.

Same here. I was always fascinated to "hear" the SST take off as a kid. I grew up 20 miles from JFK airport and always knew the heavy sound of the engines on take-off. Some days like a quiet Sunday it was real clear. "Oh, the Concorde's tak'in off" Different sound, not just louder. Too expensive to even think of a ride on one though

While model 3 makes sense for price and its function, I am still not sold on no dash screen.
I haven't canceled the order yet, and I feel that by the time I wait for the performance model 3, we may get Roadster. In other words, it may take really long time.

So I am leaning toward canceling the order and waiting for the new Roadster for maximum performance.
Decision, decision...

Interesting. Some people can't make the leap with technology. Personally I'm incredibly happy with no keyfob, thank god for less crap in my pocket. And the minimal dash is outstanding, it's the future of the automobile.

It not about making a leap, its about common sense.
Zero problems with moving all the nav, playlists and other fluff to the touchscreen, but wipers and lights is just moronic. And no, saying it will all be automatic isn't an answer, at least 70% or acquaintances with car with auto wiper say they use them manually most of the time.

Already have workarounds in mind for most of the daft crap I will have to put up with if I end up going thru with the model 3.

Simple GPS HUD speedometer so I can cover up the main screen at night to remove the annoying glare from the corner of my eye.
Will have to carry the annoyingly sized keycard when I'm going somewhere the phone isn't an option, until someone comes up a better form factor or seriously robust keyfob.
Just have to wait for someone to hack the software so we can inject commands & listen on the (CAN?) bus and make our own interface enhancements - yes, DIY HUD will be a project of mine.

Same here. I was always fascinated to "hear" the SST take off as a kid. I grew up 20 miles from JFK airport and always knew the heavy sound of the engines on take-off. Some days like a quiet Sunday it was real clear. "Oh, the Concorde's tak'in off" Different sound, not just louder. Too expensive to even think of a ride on one though

IIRC, I could get a ticket for just over $8000? But decided it was a silly waste of money. In the grand scheme of things, $8000 for a bucket list event is cheap.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
While model 3 makes sense for price and its function, I am still not sold on no dash screen.
I haven't canceled the order yet, and I feel that by the time I wait for the performance model 3, we may get Roadster. In other words, it may take really long time.

So I am leaning toward canceling the order and waiting for the new Roadster for maximum performance.
Decision, decision...

No, you are right. Not having a dash console is a deal breaker.

If you reserved before I did...

Last edited: