Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

For those with a reservation, what was the reason you canceled your reservation?

• The reveal wasn't impressive

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Configured with options cost too much

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Delivery prediction too late

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • Mode S/X used/new is a better choice for me

Votes: 25 38.5%
  • Waiting for a Model Y

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Waiting for an EV from BMW/Porsche/Mercedes/Audi/VW or other company

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Don't want an EV without the expiring tax credit or other tax reason

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Need a hatchback / trunk volume too small

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Too expensive or lacking value

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Going back to ICE, have range anxiety, don't like new tech, or other EV-hater reasons

• Tesla sucks

• Other (please comment below)

Votes: 8 12.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
I am thinking about cancelling my reservation. Initially, I thought I would downgrade my Model S to a smaller car, but a Model 3 will probably be about the same price of what my Model S could bring. No money would be saved by dumping my land-yacht Model S. I hate that it barely fits into my garage with the side-view mirrors folded. The Model S is missing many features standard on the Model 3 too.

Reactions: davedavedave
I am thinking about cancelling my reservation. Initially, I thought I would downgrade my Model S to a smaller car, but a Model 3 will probably be about the same price of what my Model S could bring. No money would be saved by dumping my land-yacht Model S. I hate that it barely fits into my garage with the side-view mirrors folded. The Model S is missing many features standard on the Model 3 too.

I canceled my Model 3 reservation back in early June when I bought my Model X 90D. I did this for a number of reasons but the new referral program, with free Supercharging was what tipped the scales for me. I am using my Model X for work and drive it frequently (I am a Field Service Engineer for a Biotech company) to visit customers. With free Supercharging, I don't pay to fuel my vehicle and save hundreds of dollars a month right there. Those are monthly savings that I would never get with the Model 3. Plus, the Model X has better performance, better/more features, more cargo/people capacity, can tow, etc.

I love my Model X and have never regretted my decision. It is the better car I have ever owned and I have owned many BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches, etc.

Andrew

Haven't cancelled yet, but will cancel soon. Getting a Model S instead.
The main reason: I want AWD and Model 3 will not be ready in time for the full tax credit. When I account for the tax credit, the free supercharging, the 0.99% financing and all other Model S advantages, the price gap doesn't look that big anymore.

About the "Waiting for a Model Y" choice,
- will you have to cancel your Model 3 reservation or
- will you be able to transfer it?

If you are still waiting to order your M3, they probably will let you transfer to a MY so long as they are accepting reservations. That would be great if the transfer put you at the front of the line for MY.

If the MY has more storage space and is more compact than the MX, I would be inclined to buy it. We may have AP hardware that can actually support FSD.

My brain won and told me, that by the time It`s my turn to get the car the first used cars will already be available and the worst technical problems should already be known or even ironed out.
Additionally the competition from BMW, Mercedes and Audi should finally be available when the Model 3 comes to Europe, too (hopefully)

Last edited:
Whenever I see posts about the S or X barely fitting in the garage, I can't help but wonder why most people in that situation are buying such an expensive car. I'd upsize my housing first. Of course, as a former Santa Barbara resident, I realize there are a few places like San Francisco and Santa Barbara where a Civic-sized garage is attached to a $50,000 house sitting on a $3 mil postage stamp-sized lot.:)

Reactions: VTengineer
I'm not cancelling my reservation until I find an alternative 220+ mile BEV that suits majority of my needs. So far, the only alternative would be the 60 kWh Leaf and possibly a few offerings from Hyundai/Kia in late 2018/early 2019. As much as I'd like to entertain the BEV X3 which will come out in 2020, I'm sure that will come with a premium over the regular X3 and not sure how expensive maintenance and repairs will be post-extended warranty

If I am already concerned about potential repair costs post-ESA warranty on the 3, I wouldn't even consider a CPO Model S (If I could afford one) with the shorter warranty remaining and no chance of purchasing the ESA.

Tesla's are great vehicles but I really think post-ESA, they may be costly to maintain -- labor rate is on the high side and there is no Right to Repair for now.

Reactions: Sudre
As I read internal internaudit's response ... I was thinking, I do not agree with that. Then I saw that he is in Canada .... perhaps you point is well spoken.

I do not plan to cancel. Sure, I'd like to have the $1000 back ... but I'd put it in savings and earn a whopping .02% this next year.

Actually, I like my present position. My "ticket" does not come up until late 2018 or early 2019. I never counted on getting the tax rebate anyway. I have a wonderful hybrid that is not read to be traded .... so I'm content to sit and wait. By 2019 I figure many of the concerns expressed above will have been resolved (except for the tax angle).

Reactions: internalaudit
Whenever I see posts about the S or X barely fitting in the garage, I can't help but wonder why most people in that situation are buying such an expensive car. I'd upsize my housing first. Of course, as a former Santa Barbara resident, I realize there are a few places like San Francisco and Santa Barbara where a Civic-sized garage is attached to a $50,000 house sitting on a $3 mil postage stamp-sized lot.:)

Because a lot of expensive homes have multiple single car garage doors because it looks ascetically better. I have a very large 3.5 car garage but it has 3 single width garage doors that are barely 8' wide. My wife's odyssey has maybe 1" of clearance. A suburban would require the mirrors to be folded to get into it. Once the car is through the opening there is a lot of space. We can fully open doors without hitting the car next to it.

Reactions: Reeler
As I read internal internaudit's response ... I was thinking, I do not agree with that. Then I saw that he is in Canada .... perhaps you point is well spoken.

I do not plan to cancel. Sure, I'd like to have the $1000 back ... but I'd put it in savings and earn a whopping .02% this next year.

Actually, I like my present position. My "ticket" does not come up until late 2018 or early 2019. I never counted on getting the tax rebate anyway. I have a wonderful hybrid that is not read to be traded .... so I'm content to sit and wait. By 2019 I figure many of the concerns expressed above will have been resolved (except for the tax angle).

I'm in a similar boat. I actually have to give away or scrap an 02 Civic that is running decently well for its age once my daughter gets her license because my insurance premiums will go up by around $1,500 from the current $2,200. I'm not paying that increase over two years to keep the Civic when it doesn't even have ABS (has creaky suspensions) but it is really a perfect beater car. We'll be left with an 11 Accord and 16 RAV4 Hybrid, both have been relatively trouble-free and even the Accord still has extended warranty until end of next year. I'm not trading these two cars for any BEV until I can get inexpensive used BEVs that have remaining battery and drive motor warranties (not going to happen until 3-4 years from now -- used Bolts, 2.0 Leafs and maybe the Model 3, lol), the Accord is only worth about $10k and it wouldn't be prudent to trade it in for a new car, ICEV or BEV. It's a coupe and I like it's design anyway.

I would like to avail of our generous provincial credit of around $11k but if I miss that because there are no 220+ mile BEV available to me in 2018 (Tesla's projected delivery for Canada is late 2018 even for first day reservation holders and I want AWD anyway if it's going to be a Tesla), then I might as well wait for other BEVs to come to market. Why rush if the incentive is gone? New third car will definitely be a BEV because gasoline is more expensive in Canada while electricity at night is relatively cheap.

Also, it's not like we really need three vehicles right away and ideally, I'd want to take delivery in spring 2019 because why they hell would I trouble myself with a car purchase during winter?

The fuel savings and acceleration/handling are going to be great but not the additional financing, depreciation and potential money pit we may get into post-ESA (I'm definitely going to get a ESA and will only buy a Tesla if the ESA is consumer-friendly, like Toyota's Platinum extended warranty is).

Last edited:
Just went over the list of options for the above poll and it's missing the two concerns I have:
  1. ESA details especially if it will improve the 4 -year warranty on the DU and the 8-year 100k miles warranty on the battery)
  2. post-warranty / post-ESA repair costs / Right to Repair
I'm sure the more practical potential owners (who are coming from typically more reliable makes like Honda/Toyota) also have this in mind but it's too soon to find out. :)

We happily paid more for less house in a great neighborhood in Seattle (Ballard) which is relatively close to downtown where we work and enjoy playing. Our townhouse has a very small, single car garage that requires navigating a bizarrely angled driveway to enter. We are urbanites to the core, so suburban or rural living, where we could get more home for a "better" price but way less in terms of urban amenities, has never appealed to us. We are also a single car home, and probably will be for the foreseeable future. Being able to walk, bike, or short drive most everywhere we want to be really is amazing. We also don't fancy wasting our lives suffering through insanely long traffic commutes on a daily basis. I can barely handle it when my 20 min bike commute gets pushed to 25 mins due to bad weather or cars blocking intersections/bike lanes, lol.

Reactions: Reeler
We also don't fancy wasting our lives suffering through insanely long traffic commutes on a daily basis.

Some people really just don't understand how annoying this can be for others. I literally bought a house a year ago, only to realize that spending at least an hour each way, back and forth to work and urban areas is not going to work. We're moving so that we can be closer and not waste hours of our lives to be sitting in traffic.

Reactions: 206er and DR61