Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why didn't Tesla put the map on the left side of the UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

H4V0C

MYP MSM|Blk Mar 8 DD
Jan 16, 2022
Tampa, FL
If there's one gripe I have about the UI, it's that when I'm navigating, I have to look all the way over to the right side of the display to see the map. Seems like it would be much better to have the map on the left?
And then we have the birds-eye view of the vehicle on the left side of the display which serves what purpose exactly? Why do I need a visual representation of my car going down the road? That might be useful if it were foggy and there was 0ft if visibility, assuming the cameras could see thru the fog, but they can't. So what am I missing here? I'd much prefer to have more real estate for audio, HVAC, and other controls, battery consumption, etc.

I would guess that the design decision is safer for the driver to listen to the navigation guidance instead of taking your eyes off the road to look at the map. Plus putting it on the opposite side is convenient for your front passenger to access.

I would guess that the design decision is safer for the driver to listen to the navigation guidance instead of taking your eyes off the road to look at the map. Plus putting it on the opposite side is convenient for your front passenger to access.
90% of the time I agree that voice guidance is safer. Where it really falls short is in situations where you have to make a left turn (and there are 2 or more left turn lanes) that's immediately followed by needing to take a right. It's good to have is easy access to the map so that you know which left turn lane to use.
But anyway, I highly doubt the design decision was "hey guys, we need to put the map on the right side so that drivers will use the voice guidance instead of looking at the map." That's a really lousy/dangerous way to solve the problem of "how might we provide the safest turn-by-turn navigational guidance."

Edit: to be fair, that would be on par with some of the other recent lousy UI changes, so maybe you're right.

Well, the new Model S can flip-flop the animation and navigation and since we now have V11 U, the same as the S/X, I would imagine that we'd have that capability at some point as well. They would have to keep the speedo and other info at the top left, I guess, since the S/X has the second screen.

Reactions: H4V0C
I'm someone who likes having that FSD realization even though I don't have FSD. I just like knowing what the car is seeing. I find myself rarely looking at the map even when using navigation, so to me the placement is fine. If Tesla allows flipping the two sections it would satisfy more people though.

Reactions: BitJam and H4V0C
Yes.

The car animation side used to be smaller. When Tesla changed it a bunch of owners complained. Elon said they'd make it adjustable in the future. That was like a year ago. I just want that whole animation thing to go away.

The animation is smaller in V11 than in V10.

Just for fun, here is a screenshot of the UI back in 2018 with the navigation directions all the way on the right:

Model3UI2018.jpg

I'm someone who likes having that FSD realization even though I don't have FSD. I just like knowing what the car is seeing. I find myself rarely looking at the map even when using navigation, so to me the placement is fine. If Tesla allows flipping the two sections it would satisfy more people though.
Now I'm curious. Could you tell me more about why you like knowing what the car is seeing? Are you simply saying it's cool/neat, or is it something deeper? And specifically what is it about the display that gives you that feeling? Thanks!

Now I'm curious. Could you tell me more about why you like knowing what the car is seeing? Are you simply saying it's cool/neat, or is it something deeper? And specifically what is it about the display that gives you that feeling? Thanks!
It's hard to describe. I don't actually actively use it for anything in particular, other than maybe checking to see how centered I'm in a lane, but I think it has more to do with how I tend to think, if that makes any sense. I just found myself really liking the fact that I can see what the car sees in that FSD realization. It's just something my brain appreciates. Since I got the MYP, when I drive another car that has some sort of a "car" display in the instrument cluster, they all seem so "dead". I'm not saying that I think the FSD realization have any real usefulness, but I have genuinely enjoyed having it.

• Love
Reactions: DrGriz and lUtriaNt
90% of the time I agree that voice guidance is safer. Where it really falls short is in situations where you have to make a left turn (and there are 2 or more left turn lanes) that's immediately followed by needing to take a right. It's good to have is easy access to the map so that you know which left turn lane to use.
But anyway, I highly doubt the design decision was "hey guys, we need to put the map on the right side so that drivers will use the voice guidance instead of looking at the map." That's a really lousy/dangerous way to solve the problem of "how might we provide the safest turn-by-turn navigational guidance."

Edit: to be fair, that would be on par with some of the other recent lousy UI changes, so maybe you're right.
Agree, any good navigational software should be able to tell you to take a second left lane in case you need to take an immediate right turn afterward.

• Helpful
Reactions: H4V0C