Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I bought a Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't looked at exchange rates lately, but I'm assuming that $180k price the author tossed out there means a P100DL.

That really makes me wonder what the other car is - there aren't many cars that are faster to 60 than an XP100DL (more than the S version, of course, but still pretty rarified territory.) Unless he's using one of the other definitions of faster - quarter mile or top speed, maybe?

No a P100DL runs closer to $300k these days I think. $180k is a base 75D with a couple of options. This is in Australia, in AUD.

I knew it was over there and in AUD. I hadn't realized just how expensive a Tesla is over there, though - and since $12k was buying what's $8k in options here, I made some apparently incorrect assumptions about the rest of the price.

Agreed. I was also a bit annoyed at the cheap shot about build quality. I have one of the first delivered Australian cars and it's been fine. I have other friends with cars from BMW, MB etc that have been back for some relatively serious repairs.

There's a misconception over Tesla build quality, most issues show up on early built cars, first with the model S and then with the model X, most are US owned, by the time cars reach the Australian market the production line appears to have sorted problems.

Agreed. I was also a bit annoyed at the cheap shot about build quality. I have one of the first delivered Australian cars and it's been fine. I have other friends with cars from BMW, MB etc that have been back for some relatively serious repairs.
Yes this kind of crap really annoys me. I asume they're talking about the "feel" of the plastics and the door liners or some such limited view of buulid quality. Build quality goes to more than that. My last Mercedes had a cheap plastic seat height adjuster handle which snapped of three times and was "fixed" under warranty with exactly the same handle. After the third timenwe had to touch it with kid gloves every time we used it to avoid it breaking. Then the last time we picked it up from service the service manager told us the mechanic had broken it off and they'd replace it for us! Sheesh.

I'd rather have something that felt harder to the touch but didn't break everytime you used it.