TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Why I want SAS on my Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by T34ME, May 25, 2017.

1. T34ME

T34ME Member

There have been several posts about the pros and cons of SAS (Smart Air Suspension). I fully understand and respect that some people feel that SAS does not improve the ride to any appreciable extent. I understand that SAS will probably not improve performance under most conditions. I understand that some people feel that SAS is a poor value compared to a symphonic sound system or other options. I understand and I respect their opinions and choices but those issues are not important to me.

This is why I will select the SAS option if it is offered ( I realize it will not be offered in the short term and perhaps not even in the long term).
    1. I live in a community with weird standards for driveway approaches and ramps. It is difficult to get into your driveway without scraping the front and rear overhangs on the car unless it is a jacked up SUV. It is not just me, it is my neighbors too. It would be nice to have SAS with GPS memory to get us over the hump, automatically.
    2. I am definitely older than the average Model 3 demographic. Getting these tired old bones in and out of a car gets to be more difficult every year. SAS would allow the car to automatically raise to its highest level upon shut down. That would make it vastly easier for us to get in and out.

I have no expectation that SAS will be offered on the Model 3. So I could go aftermarket and install an airbag system. But the cost would be $4000+ in my area and it would clutter the interior with a lot of switches. More important aftermarket does not offer GPS memory at this time. So I will have decisions to make in about two months. I will voluntarily move down the list if I have a reasonable expectation of an SAS option in the future even if it is packaged with a Performance configuration (which I have no need for) for more money I really I don't need to spend. I want SAS that bad!

2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

What else is drawing you to the M3? Would a used Model S meet your needs if you could find it in a similar price range? Or is fully autonomous something you're looking for?

I am not trying to "anti-sell" the M3...

• Funny x 2
  3. doofenshmirtz

doofenshmirtz Member

the way I understand it, SAS actually lowers your ride height when you drive, reverts it based on gps if necessary when you pull into driveways. not having SAS leaves you with a car that is higher so you do not scrape weirdly angled driveways anyways to start with. the auto adjusting SAS was added to resolve the issue that having SAS created.

• Informative x 1
  4. Runt8

Runt8 Member

Might be cheaper to redo the concrete in front of your driveway to be a smooth ramp instead of a bump. My parents were able to do that for under $2000.

5. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

SAS will lower and also raise the suspension height. That is one of the main selling points for SAS is to improve clearance for driveways, etc. Yes, it will lower (if you chose to) at highway speeds to improve aerodynamic efficiencies.

This is the exact wording from the website:
    "Experience superior handling, efficiency, and ride comfort. Adjust the height of your Model S. Smart Air Suspension also utilizes the GPS of your car to recognize the location of past adjustments to suspension height and automatically updates when you revisit specific locations, such as a steep driveway."

And here is the actual in-car setting page:
    [​IMG]

• Helpful x 1
  6. doofenshmirtz

doofenshmirtz Member

Appreciate the screenshots, it really clarifies the function.
    What I was trying to clarify was that if you don't have SAS, you probably don't have the height problems it creates as a result of riding it in "low".
    of course, if "normal" is too low for you, the "high" and 'Very high" options should help.

The assumption is that a car without SAS runs "normal"

7. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Unless you want your "normal" to be low ;)

• Like x 1
  8. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

This is entirely speculation, but I highly doubt SAS will be available on the Model 3. For all the talk of artificially hindering the Model 3, this just seems like something that would save a lot of time/money not to mess with and steer customers who really care about it towards the Model S.

• Like x 1
  9. Sonny Daze

Sonny Daze Member

#9 Sonny Daze, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Hopefully someone with SAS will chime in, but I don't believe you can drive around continuously in High or Very High, and driving in Low is done automatically by the car and determined by a speed setting (not sure how low the speed setting can be set to).

10. T34ME

T34ME Member

Thanks everyone for your comments; they are most helpful. Keep them coming.

Fair question. I don't want a CPO (I can't live with the nosecone), I don't want to spend $100K to get an MS with SAS, an MS would take up too much room in my garage, an MS is more difficult to park, and a $100K car is not the image I personally want to project to the world. Despite what Elon says,a Model 3 is a far better car for me and my needs than an MS.

Didn't want get into TMI, but the driveway ramp serves 5 homes and would be much more expensive than $2K. This is a gated community and the developer, HOA, and city will not approve variances from their driveway standards. Yes, I know I can move, but I am happy here. I have customized my home to be the residential equivalent of a Tesla.

Zman, this is most helpful and exactly the system I am looking for.

Yes, I agree and that is why I prefaced my remarks with that caveat. But if you look at the Model3tracker, about 35% of reservationists want SAS. I realize that Model3tracker represent less than 3% of reservation holders but it is still a significant sampling.

Most of the time, I would drive the car in "normal" mode. I just want the ability to either raise or lower the car in particular locations to avoid scraping and ease of entry and exit of passengers.

• Like x 1
  11. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

The Model S currently does not have such a function (unless you are parked in a GPS location for Very High). So at work and in my driveway, sure, I'm at High or Very High (respectively). But at random places, I have to manually select Very High if I want it.

SAS at "Normal" is lower that coils from the factory. SAS at "High" is higher than coils from the factory.

Correct. GPS memory is for High and Very high, not Low. Low will engage at whatever customizeable-speed you use in the settings. Very High lowers to High at 18 mph. High lowers to Normal at 35 mph.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  12. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

I live in a town with TERRIBLE roads, and my fiance has a bad back, but I still have no interest in SAS. There's already enough delicate high tech wizardry in these cars and SAS is going to be an expensive repair when it breaks. That's WHEN, not IF.

13. T34ME

T34ME Member

Does anyone know for sure what the reliability of SAS on the MS is? Does Tesla publish any service statistics?

14. strykeroz

strykeroz Member

Like the OP I'm hoping SAS is included, at least in time for RHD deliveries to the far side of the planet, when mine will become orderable.
    Our house has not just a roll-up-curb in place of a ramp on the road gutter, but also is so steep that at the garage a standard height car will scrape. The first problem you can get around by carefully taking it slow on the right angle, but the second is more challenging.

I'll definitely need to test drive the M3 to our place to make sure it can get in the house without getting beached at the top of the driveway if SAS isn't on the cards once the final announcement is made.

• Like x 1
  15. Neo_fd3s

Neo_fd3s Member

The 3 being a less complicated car, I don't think SAS will be offered. As far as I know, the competition in this segment doesn't have this option either. Not unless you go way up to their top trim level, in which case the car stops being simple, and right into complicated.
    I wasn't aware so many people had unpleasant driveways to their homes?

If its offered, I wouldn't be opting for it. I plan to keep this car for awhile. The last thing I need is another system failing after the first 3-4yrs. I prefer having conventional springs/shocks. Gives me the ability to change them out if I want the car to be more sporty. :)

• Like x 1
  16. cschock

cschock Member

They do not publish such things. For comparison, look at any other Air Suspension on other cars if you can find data since the system is, more or less, mechanically the same. Anecdotally, these are fairly well known for failure on many car makes (certainly compared to a traditional suspension!)

We have the Air Suspension due to a very steep driveway with an awkward angle from the street, without it we would always scrape the front and rear of the car on entry. We're in year 5 of ownership and we did have a repair to the suspension in year 4 under warranty (small leak in one of the air lines, Tesla also replaced the compressor just in case since the leak caused that to work extra hard/long trying to raise the car for some unknown period of time prior to the complete failure of the air line.)

• Informative x 1
  17. T34ME

T34ME Member

Thank you for your first hand experience. Some posters complain about air suspension but they are often people who don't own a MS/X with SAS or any other car with air suspension. It is good that those with the system offer an opinion too.

I have researched the topic of SAS on the Tesla forums. In general, owners seem to be very happy with the system and would order it again. On one recent survey, no problems were reported with SAS, but obviously problems can and do occur. The question is how much of a problem is SAS? Here is a sampling of some recent posts with regards to SAS:

Here is another post that answered a lot of questions about the height adjustments on an MS with SAS:
    So, I checked spec. ground clearance on my current car. It is listed at 5.3". I do have problems with this car on my driveway ramp and bumper stops in parking lots. Now the 5.5" spec on an MS RWD would help my situation a bit but the SAS adjustment at "very high" 6.3" would help a lot! No one knows at this point what the ground clearance spec is for the Model 3 is going to be, but I will be very interested when this number comes out. I will repeat that I don't think SAS will offered as an option for the M3 in the short term and maybe not forever. But my current thinking is that I will purchase SAS as an option if available to me.

• Informative x 2
  18. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

Since I'm feeling lazy on a Saturday, I went back and studied the reveal presentation. If you remember it showed the 3 being built up from the battery, electrical harnesses, then suspension and motors etc. and at least in the rendering shown it definitely shows what looks like air struts not coil springs. Granted what was shown was most likely the P-model since it had red brake calipers so it may be performance specific option, but pretty sure it will be available on some variant at some point. Of course, things could have changed since the reveal, but my bet it will be offered. I'm too lazy to attach an image, maybe someone else can do that. :p

• Like x 1
  19. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

I hope by the time they start selling duel motor model 3, they also offer air suspension. The two go together very well for those of us on dirt roads. The ground clearance in latest photos of the Model 3 release canidates on Electrek looks awfully low.

20. T34ME

T34ME Member

I am guessing it is going to be right around 5.3".