Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Audi E-Tron selling so well in Norway?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model Y should change things around a bit when launched in Europe. Saloons like the M3 are not that popular in Europe.
I am not so sure about that.
Model Y will have strong competition when it is released in summer 2021 in Europe with the Audi E-Tron Q4 and the VW ID4 as well as Skoda Enyak.
Model Y will probably not be the first mover in that segment of compact SUV in Europe.

additional_0.jpg

Unbenannt (1).JPG
Unbenannt.JPG

Screen-Shot-2020-01-31-at-8.18.41-AM.jpg

I am not so sure about that.
Model Y will have strong competition when it is released in summer 2021 in Europe with the Audi E-Tron Q4 and the VW ID4 as well as Skoda Enyak.
Model Y will probably not be the first mover in that segment of compact SUV in Europe.

MY RWD will cost around 55k EUR, eTron costs around 75k EUR.
Yes, I'm sure people will easily pay 20k more for that nice sofa.

Audi's naming convention of just calling every EV an e-tron is kind of confusing, but the Q4 e-tron, slated for 2021 has a base price of 40k EUR, its a different tier model from the currently available 75k EUR 55 quattro e-tron and 60k 50 quattro e-tron. Q4 is to Model Y where e-tron quattro is to Model x.

E-Tron Q4 will cost around 55k EUR as well.
E-Tron Q4 is not the same car as E-Tron. ;)
E-Tron Q4 is basically the same car as the VW ID4, both based on the MEB platform but with nicer materials, nicer interior, some more tech gimmicks. Same as the difference between Audi A3 and VW Golf, which are really similar.

That might be debatable, but for basically the same price (E-Tron Q4 / Model Y) or 10k€ less in case of the ID4 my guess is that the Model Y that will be released after these cars will not be flying off the shelves in Europe.

Audi Q4 e-tron
Unbenannt.JPG

VW ID4 will cost around 45k€:
Volkswagen ID.4
Unbenannt.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lobstahz
One of the reasons the e-tron is a relatively good seller in the EU is that although it's MRSP is higher than a Model 3, the actual sales price is lower, and when leased Audi promises a guaranteed high residual price. Your downpayment and monthly rates are then much lower than a Model 3, which doesn't come with discounts and banks and leasing companies aren't capable of assessing the residual value of a Model 3 yet. That makes the downpayment and monthly rates considerably higher.

I've seen rates like €500/mo for an e-Tron while charging €800/mo for a Model 3, but the lease company was assuming a 50% residual value on the e-tron after 5 years which seems very high to me.

Indeed, but if you go to other leasing companies, you sometimes see some weird rates.

Audi happily does fleet discounts, while for instance my bank insisted on a 16% residual value + I had to promise I'd buy the car after the lease ended.

For obvious reasons I preferred a Model 3 Performance instead of a e-Tron, but I can imagine if you're ambivalent about cars and you want to go electric, the e-tron looks to be a good deal. I can imagine if I didn't get that test drive in 2017 with a Model X, and just had waited until the e-tron came out, I might have thought differently. That's because the autopilot in that Model X sold the car to me, while I didn't even realise I needed it.

E-tron is the price of a MS LR+ and it’s interior is probably nicer but it get half the range for the money.

There are a lot of reasons to believe Tesla’s range claims are not accurate in real world driving. In practically every independent test, with few exceptions, Tesla’s get significantly less than rated range. Other EVs tend to be closer to their rated range. I would guess the Audi probably gets around 75% of the range of the S.

There are a lot of reasons to believe Tesla’s range claims are not accurate in real world driving. In practically every independent test, with few exceptions, Tesla’s get significantly less than rated range. Other EVs tend to be closer to their rated range. I would guess the Audi probably gets around 75% of the range of the S.
There was recently a test with multiple EV's in which Tesla's did pretty OK compared to luxury models of other manufacturers. Only the economy EV's fared better.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
So if the EPA rates it and it under performs to those numbers what make you think others won't under perform as well? It's also not reasonable to think that the S (I've had mine for 7 months) will under perform by 50% matching the Audi range.

Interesting, there are some really good deals on lease websites. Especially with the rebate.
I couldn't find anyone willing to lease me one for much less than 1500 / month with the rebate. I called three audi dealers and expected the car to lease for 8-900 / month. Even for 1000-1100 may have worked. So I bought a model Y PUP instead. In 2.5 years when my S is up I'll strongly consider the competition again if they are priced comparably.

Currently, Tesla has some economic disadvantages due to needing to ship their production from USA and paying large import taxes.

When Giga Germany begins production inside the European Union, they should be more price competitive. Europe has huge barriers to entry installed to protect their domestic producers.

It is the pressure from Tesla that is motivating the European legacy producers to turn out their own EVs. European market for EVs is about to become huge. This is due to internal regulations and less acceptance by local governments to polluting gassers destroying their Urban centers. With this coming high demand, Tesla alone will not be able to make enough to convert Europe from dirty ICE to cleaner EVs. Will need the legacy producers to step up their game to allow faster conversion.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV and jbcarioca