Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is FSD not transferable to your next Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, until the car can actually full-self drive the price needs to come down, not up. Also, if the software can't drive as good or better than the actual driver, it just becomes annoying to babysit and manage the automated systems. Most owners will just disable it and take over. Furthermore, the competition will market these driver assistance features more appropriately and they won't cost $10k.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hbrink
Just remember that Tesla raised the price of the vehicles by $2k when they made AP standard. So it isn't "free" it is just a forced purchase now.
I think AP became standard because it is really no big deal at this point and should really be included in a $40k+ vehicle. It is just dynamic cruise control, which you can get in a Honda Civic now without the phantom braking. The autosteer is pretty cool for highway use and can reduce some driving fatigue but once you realize it nags you to death the novelty wears off pretty quick. I am usually a sucker for cool features and software but I just don't see FSD being worth $10k when you can't even transfer it to your next Tesla. You would think Telsa would use the ability to transfer FSD as a perk for staying loyal to the brand.

Just remember that Tesla raised the price of the vehicles by $2k when they made AP standard. So it isn't "free" it is just a forced purchase now.

They adjust the price all the time. some of it could be inflation.
My point is that if they come first with this, they might be able to charge a lot for it, but once competition picks up they simply can't charge way more than the competitors

yup, good point. That is what I was thinking too. And now FSD is twice the original price. But sure, maybe some day when there is more competition, better features for better price. Doesn't seem to be happening soon.

yup, good point. That is what I was thinking too. And now FSD is twice the original price. But sure, maybe some day when there is more competition, better features for better price. Doesn't seem to be happening soon.
I think GM Supercruise is closest thing so far however GM is using that in their higher price vehicles so far and will probably take a while to trickle down.

Alternate point: Tesla is set up for volume production. Only real options are colors, trim (SR, LR, P), and EAP/FSD. Everything else is "standard" or no choice.

The MY got a lot of free/forced upgrades since I got mine last year. I'm sure 2022 MY will have more upgrades compared to 2021.

I bought my Tesla several years ago with the FSD option for $10,000. But FSD has yet to roll out as promised; therefore, like 99.9999% of everyone else out there with it, most of us have been unable to utilize it at the capacity Mr. Musk stated it would be at by now. Therefore, if I choose to purchase a new Tesla, I think it should transfer to that new vehicle. Why should I have to pay for it again when for years now I haven't gotten to utilize what I paid for to begin with? I'm far from being really well off and buying a Tesla for me was a HUGE purchase, one I saved years for to make and I based that purchase on statements regarding FSD made by Mr. Musk . I feel like I was mislead. For those of us who paid for it and never got to use it due to no fault of our own, allowing it to transfer to a new vehicle seems like the right thing to do. I know customer service isn't tops with Tesla, but at least they can have the backs of those who put faith in their product and their word.

File a class action lawsuit.

That's about all you can do.

Everything else is just a discussion about something that we otherwise have no influence over. It's been talked to death over and over as is.

In similar terms every complains about having to pay so much to either "turn on" software features or purchase on new cars; because (for the most part) Tesla includes all the hardware in each car.

IE why do I have to pay so much for performance boost, why do I have to repurchase FSD, why do I have to pay to turn on rear seat heaters.

If Tesla did it different and didn't include the hardware and it had to be paid and installed at the factory; then no one would complain because the price would be the price and you typically can't move a feature part from an older car to another car due to cost, complexity, and compatibility between Model years.

Tesla does it different, but it's still a similar concept, people get hung up the fact that "it's just a software flag".

Last edited:
IE why do I have to pay so much for performance boost, why do I have to repurchase FSD, why do I have to pay to turn on rear seat heaters.
Huge difference. If you pay for performance or seat heaters, you can go out to your car 30 minutes later and use them.
There are people that paid for FSD in 2016 and all they have for that is traffic light sensing. Functionally, the feature hasn't been delivered at all, which is why the used market doesn't value this, and which is why a refund or transfer is very different.

I do agree that basically a class action or a bunch of people demanding arbitration (You can do that, and Tesla has to pay for it...) is going to be the only solution.

Hi Guys
I just bought a used Model S from a dealer. Vehicle was traded in to the dealer from original owner. It has FSD currently.
I am skeptical to transfer ownership to my name in the app.
Do you think there is any chance Tesla might remove FSD if I get the ownership transferred to me and add the car in my account app?