Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the charge port on the left side when we drive on the right side of the road in North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fewer steps when you attempt to drive away stopped by the error message :)

I think it is for driver convenience if you install he charger on that side. In my case it was perfect as the I3 is on the other side so the garage can either have both in the middle or one on each side of the garage.

It made more sense with the Roadster; the charging port was right behind the driver's door - exactly where you want it to be to plug/unplug when you get in and out of the vehicle. It clearly doesn't work as well with public charging (which pretty much didn't exist when the Roadster was designed), but the vast majority of charging (especially with a long-range EV) happens in your garage. Of course, with the Roadster, they were also re-using the Lotus platform's fueling port.

The port is necessarily farther back on the S and X, though that helps when you back in to a Supercharger. It could have worked in the front too, but that may have been (I am guessing here) harder to hide and get wiring to the rectifier and battery.

Hate to say it, but Nissan is the one who got it right. Front dead center.

If you wanted to set up an automatic recharging system, where the car finds the charger and plugs itself in, it would be safe and easy. Hit the CHARGE NOW button, and the car creeps forward into the plug, adjusting as necessary. No expensive robot arm, no expensive and lossy inductive charger. Just like plugging in a toaster.

If you wanted to set up an automatic recharging system, where the car finds the charger and plugs itself in, it would be safe and easy. Hit the CHARGE NOW button, and the car creeps forward into the plug, adjusting as necessary. No expensive robot arm, no expensive and lossy inductive charger. Just like plugging in a toaster.

I disagree. It's incredibly annoying to have to walk around the front of my vehicle every time I need to plug/unplug. I suppose if you've got a large garage with an exit door placed on the back wall it's probably fine, but I do not. It's an extra unnecessary step. On the other hand, I always get out on the driver's side of the vehicle.

The front of the vehicle also gets dirty as hell...which is annoying as there's no way to close it without touching it.

Last edited:

I have a Model S and a Leaf . The Model S location where it is, is much more convenient that the Leaf.

...Front dead center...

There's no space in front of my car in my garage, so it's impossible to plug in when the car is head-in. I'll have to back in to plug in but when the big garage rolls down, it might clip the charge plug.

Not perfect for me.

On the other hand, it there's a space for a driver to get out, there's room to plug in because they are both on the same side.

I disagree. It's incredibly annoying to have to walk around the front of my vehicle every time I need to plug/unplug. I suppose if you've got a large garage with an exit door placed on the back wall it's probably fine, but I do not. It's an extra unnecessary step. I always get out on the driver's side of the vehicle.

The front of the vehicle also gets dirty as hell...which is annoying as there's no way to close it without touching it.
A Leaf goes far enough or fast enough to get the front dirty? :D Kidding.

It would be the logical location for automated non-inductive charging. By the nature of the beast, inductive hands-free is center-lined.
The other problem is solves is dead center, front or rear, allows a shorter cable and also makes the car ambidextrous.

Eventually, people will want their cars to plug themselves in.

Why do electric cars not have a (self retracting) cord like any other electric appliance, to be plugged into a socket on a wall or pedestal?

This whole gassing metaphor with a gun-like plug to be entered into an opening of the car that resembles a fuel door, requiring a pilot wire to an in line ICCB switch to keep the cable safely free of current is completely unnecessary and stupid. When we bring our own adapter we even have to plug it twice. Utter phallic stupidity. Ask your vacuum cleaner hairdryer drill toaster... .

Why do electric cars not have a (self retracting) cord like any other electric appliance, to be plugged into a socket on a wall or pedestal?

This whole gassing metaphor with a gun-like plug to be entered into an opening of the car that resembles a fuel door, requiring a pilot wire to an in line ICCB switch to keep the cable safely free of current is completely unnecessary and stupid. When we bring our own adapter we even have to plug it twice. Utter phallic stupidity. Ask your vacuum cleaner hairdryer drill toaster... .
The current is high and continuous. If the full length of the cord is not pulled out, the part that is left coiled up will overheat. It may also be difficult to make the high current sliding contact needed for a reel like used in a vacuum cleaner.

Traditionally speaking, American made cars have left fuel doors and European cars are on the right. Just because...no real reason.

Actually there is a reason. Its to be closest to the driver. Now, you may argue that on a Jaguar the fuel port is on the opposite side (American model). This is because they make the cars based on European, and then just build the American models with the drivers seat on the opposite side (basically one of the only modifications).

Actually there is a reason. Its to be closest to the driver. Now, you may argue that on a Jaguar the fuel port is on the opposite side (American model). This is because they make the cars based on European, and then just build the American models with the drivers seat on the opposite side (basically one of the only modifications).
Same as how my Model S charge port is on the passenger side ;)

• Funny
Reactions: GSP and MP3Mike
There's no space in front of my car in my garage, so it's impossible to plug in when the car is head-in. I'll have to back in to plug in but when the big garage rolls down, it might clip the charge plug.

Not perfect for me.

On the other hand, it there's a space for a driver to get out, there's room to plug in because they are both on the same side.
Exactly same situation for me.

Front charging plug might be handy for some of the public chargers around town, however it wouldn't work for me at home. I have to park with my car's nose basically touching the garage wall to clear the garage door at the rear - I have almost zero front+back clearance... and no room with the garage door down to walk around the car to the other side either (if the plug were instead on passenger's side)