Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why wait for Model 3 when we can get Model S for even $45 & even less...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes ! You read it correctly $45,000 or even less depending on your location and the faster you make a choice, because from Jan 2017 Free Supercharger for life will no longer be available & from Jan 20 it’s going to be the Trump’s world.

With the Federal Tax Credit of -$7,500 and State Incentives ranging from $1,000 – $8,000 you can own the base Model S as low as $45k and even less. Let’s first review what incentives different States are offering currently.

• California(CA): $2,500
  • Colorado(CO): $6,000
  • Delaware(DE): $2,200
  • Louisiana(LA): $8,000
  • Massachusetts(MA): $1,000
  • Pennsylvania(PA): $2,000
  • Utah(UT): $1,500
tesla-calculator-45000.jpg

So this is a possibility for many living in specific states, what you think guys? You can read the full article on my site if you want : Why Wait for Model 3 When You Can Get Model S for $45,000 OR Less

Yes ! You read it correctly $45,000 or even less depending on your location and the faster you make a choice, because from Jan 2017 Free Supercharger for life will no longer be available & from Jan 20 it’s going to be the Trump’s world.

With the Federal Tax Credit of -$7,500 and State Incentives ranging from $1,000 – $8,000 you can own the base Model S as low as $45k and even less. Let’s first review what incentives different States are offering currently.

• California(CA): $2,500
  • Colorado(CO): $6,000
  • Delaware(DE): $2,200
  • Louisiana(LA): $8,000
  • Massachusetts(MA): $1,000
  • Pennsylvania(PA): $2,000
  • Utah(UT): $1,500
View attachment 203249

So this is a possibility for many living in specific states, what you think guys? You can read the full article on my site if you want : Why Wait for Model 3 When You Can Get Model S for $45,000 OR Less

Because using your math, the model 3 is $35k - $7500 - $8000 - $5500 = $14,000.

I'd say throw out that $5500 figure. At least, it will need a major adjustment for Model 3.

From the details of Tesla's fuel savings estimate:
"We've assumed a fuel economy of 21 miles per gallon for a comparable gasoline powered premium sedan, for example the 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550. We've also assumed the national average of $0.12 per kilowatt-hour for electricity..."
How many will be replacing a 21 mpg premium sedan with a model 3?

My S replaced a car averaging 28 mpg, and pay about $0.19/kWh.
I'm sure a fair amount of Model S owners came from premium sedans, but many also were driving a Prius.

If you live in LA and can still get $7500 as well as $8000 credit, after-incentive base for M3 will be $20,500 - which is still amazing.

Edit - LA the state of course, not the city.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
For many of us, although money is always a consideration, the increased safety, roominess, and current availability of the Model S is worth the additional cost over the Model 3. That said, the production of the Model 3 will be a very, very exciting time for all of us who root for all that Tesla stands for.

Reactions: X-Auto
Did you know that the republicans signed on the EV tax credit
Yes, it was a peanut thrown the Democrats way to collect enough votes to pass a larger bill at the time. The Republican majority has been anti-EV since the beginning and there is *every* reason to think it will get much worse.

So that was not propaganda you responded to, it was someone better informed than you are.

Reactions: X-Auto
Because it was a peanut thrown the Democrats way to collect enough votes to pass a larger bill at the time.
Possible, but in either case, my point still stands. It's pure propaganda now.

Trump doens't even know what Trump is going to do (no such thing as climate change, whops, changed my mind, humans have some connectivity to climate change) - so why worry about his cancelling the credit when it's set to phase out on it's own?

Reactions: StoXto3toY
Possible, but in either case, my point still stands. It's pure propaganda now.
It is not "possible," it is fact.

You can accuse that person of holding a negative outlook but that does not propaganda make. And you must have been hibernating or hiding in a very dark hole when the Tesla troll who publishes real propaganda* was reported to be first in line for WH press secretary.

*Read the rubbish. Tesla has defrauded the people of ~ $5B.

The gas savings don't actually make the car cheaper unless your alternative is an ICE vehicle. I was really only considering EVs, so pretty much meaningless.
The gas savings have never made any sense anyway. Here in Canada the gas savings are quoted at $11,000. My last vehicle only used a total of $6000 in fuel in the last 5 years. Since that time, fuel prices have dropped by 20%, and additionally that doesn't factor in the cost of electricity (I calculate it at about $0.15/kwh (marginal cost, including all variable fees, not just the "electricity cost")
At least they removed the dollar value they used to have for amount of money you save by not having to stand at a fuel pump or for using the HOV lanes (yes, they used to calculate those in as dollar value savings on the car!)

It is not "possible," it is fact.
I don't think you can claim this as fact. Unless you have unbiased proof of it's factness.

You can accuse that person of holding a negative outlook but that does not propaganda make.
prop·a·gan·da
ˌpräpəˈɡandə/
noun
  1. 1.
    derogatory
    information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote or publicize a particular political cause or point of view.
Sorry, we have different definitions of propaganda then.
Information - Trump will cancel the $7,500 tax credit
especially of a biased or misleading nature - Trump never stated that
used to promote or publicize - He's advocating people to buy the Model S instead of the Model 3. It might be due to the good nature of his heart, but nonetheless, he's publicizing a particular cause.
a particular political cause or point of view - You might attack the word political, but we are talking about the president and the future of the tax credit. It's political.

Sorry, that statement falls under propaganda.

And you must have been hibernating or hiding in a very dark hole when the Tesla troll who publishes real propaganda* was reported to be first in line for WH press secretary.

*Read the rubbish. Tesla has defrauded the people of ~ $5B.
I didn't see that, but I'll take your word for it.

Reactions: StoXto3toY
Why wait for Model 3 when we can get Model S for even $45 & even less...

Because I already have a Model S and want a smaller car to zip around town in and to replace our Leaf.

The gas savings have never made any sense anyway. Here in Canada the gas savings are quoted at $11,000. My last vehicle only used a total of $6000 in fuel in the last 5 years.

Said by someone living in Alberta! I was speaking to a buddy in Calgary recently and he said the price at the pump was $0.89/ltr. Out here it's $1.19/ltr and that's down from $1.30 recently. Just going to my cabin every weekend used to costs me $100 in gas so that's $400/month right there and now I use a Supercharger half-way both ways. Our gas bill used to be $600 month -- so it only takes me 10 months, not 5 years, for me to save $6,000 (but part of that is the rest of my family often uses our Leaf).

So unlike you, the gas savings has made complete sense to me. Tesla estimated my gas savings far too low (esp since I plan to keep my free SC vehicle a long time and it's coming up to 3 years now) but I understand these estimates are done on average and there's always exceptions. People can figure out their own gas savings when buying based on their driving habits.

I'd say throw out that $5500 figure. At least, it will need a major adjustment for Model 3.

From the details of Tesla's fuel savings estimate:
"We've assumed a fuel economy of 21 miles per gallon for a comparable gasoline powered premium sedan, for example the 2016 Mercedes-Benz S550. We've also assumed the national average of $0.12 per kilowatt-hour for electricity..."
How many will be replacing a 21 mpg premium sedan with a model 3?

My S replaced a car averaging 28 mpg, and pay about $0.19/kWh.
I'm sure a fair amount of Model S owners came from premium sedans, but many also were driving a Prius.

If you live in LA and can still get $7500 as well as $8000 credit, after-incentive base for M3 will be $20,500 - which is still amazing.

Edit - LA the state of course, not the city.
My S replaced a car getting 22 mpg of $2.60 a gal gas. The S is using 300 w/mi plus 10% charging loss of .34 a kWh electricity. Not much savings there.