Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wife wants Model X - Opinion?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year my wife bought a 2015 Lexus GX 460 brand new for $53k. She test drove a Model X recently and really enjoyed it but her mental agreement to herself is she would keep the Lexus for at least 3 years. However, with the release of the 60D and the $7500 tax credit (which I believe will expire in Q2 2018) she is considering one now. Here are some other considerations

• New Model X will be about $70k after tax credit

• Blue Book value of the Lexus for trade in $44k (9k less than she paid)

• We can afford it but we don't like making irrational decisions
Our thoughts on waiting 12+ months -

• Increased probability the cost will come down (or at least 70k would get you more car and more technology).

• The more likely we might be able to find a good value in an inventory or CPO
Our thoughts on getting it now -

• 10x better vehicle

• Capture the most trade in value for the Lexus

• ~$1500 in fuel savings per year (meh.)

• $1k referral credit

I know there isn't a "right or wrong" way to go here but I realize many of you here have made the decision wait or go now and I would be interested in your perspective. Thanks!

The case will always be there that in another year, there will be better technology so I think this is a moot point to me. Will the enjoyment you receive now be greater than the enjoyment of getting better technology a year from now? The second point on waiting is very true, you will be able to find an inventory model for a few thousand off.

You've already thought of the counter points. How much do you expect the Lexus to drop in value in 12+ months? Would selling now capitalize on the value? I wish I could give you the answers. The fuel savings is at least one payment per year (125 per month). To me, that's not meh.

As others have already said, happy wife = happy life. My wife loves her car so much, and I have to ask politely if I want to try it out to :)

But as long as I love my Model S as much as she loves her Model X, the family is all happy.

I would not hesitate to go for the Model X for the wife. She went for the 6-seater. This way she can have half the daycare in the car with all their belongings.

/Martin

Reactions: T3slaTulips
Last year my wife bought a 2015 Lexus GX 460 brand new for $53k. She test drove a Model X recently and really enjoyed it but her mental agreement to herself is she would keep the Lexus for at least 3 years. However, with the release of the 60D and the $7500 tax credit (which I believe will expire in Q2 2018) she is considering one now. Here are some other considerations

• Increased probability the cost will come down (or at least 70k would get you more car and more technology).

• 10x better vehicle

• $1k referral credit

I know there isn't a "right or wrong" way to go here but I realize many of you here have made the decision wait or go now and I would be interested in your perspective. Thanks!

The model x is such a joy to drive that u will forget about everything else. This I can guarantee you.

Reactions: T3slaTulips
<snip> the $7500 tax credit (which I believe will expire in Q2 2018) <snip>

I wonder if the Q2 2018 estimate will be correct, I did some quick searching and found Model S's with VINs in the 152,000 range and Model Xs in the 15,000 range. If they've truly produced that many cars (or at least have that many in the queue) that means there is only ~33,000 left before they hit the 200k breaker. Assuming those numbers put them to the end of Q3 2016 and they're building ~2,000/week it could be as early as Q1 2017 when they hit the mark and the tax break starts reducing.

Not trying to rush you or anything and I'm sure someone will correct me if my math/production counts are incorrect, but wanted to share that so you're not surprised in a year if that $7500 break isn't available.

I wonder if the Q2 2018 estimate will be correct, I did some quick searching and found Model S's with VINs in the 152,000 range and Model Xs in the 15,000 range. If they've truly produced that many cars (or at least have that many in the queue) that means there is only ~33,000 left before they hit the 200k breaker. Assuming those numbers put them to the end of Q3 2016 and they're building ~2,000/week it could be as early as Q1 2017 when they hit the mark and the tax break starts reducing.

Not trying to rush you or anything and I'm sure someone will correct me if my math/production counts are incorrect, but wanted to share that so you're not surprised in a year if that $7500 break isn't available.

Don't forget, 200k limit for tax credit is for US cars. IIRC maybe 50-60 % of Teslas are in the US (probably higher, but credit will likely still be available through next year).

Sorry, to answer the question. Buy it! :)

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I read in these forums that the Model X AC is either failing or not cooling properly in the high-heat areas. Any truth to this?

• 10x better vehicle

• $1k referral credit

You'll want to get a trade-in quote from Tesla. Typically they offer much less than what an ICE dealer would on trade-in. You could always sell private party, but then you might be giving up a sales tax advantage of the trade-in.

Also I read elsewhere that Tesla matched a Carmax bid for a trade-in. Sorry can't remember thread.

I thought I'd struggle to convince her to drop the Honda van for an X (she never wanted to drive my S which I'm kind of OK with ;-) but all it took was a test drive. She's even taking a 24h test drive with it this week. I wanted to force it now to make sure that we'd get the tax credit, and also because in hindsight postponing driving a Tesla when you can afford it (even with a budget stretch) is kind of crazy. Go for it.

I built this whole case to present to my wife on how it makes sense to buy a MS, applying to her financial reasoning (we're not exactly rolling in money over here) - explaining how keeping it to just the base 60 (plus color upgrade), getting a good trade in offer, a low financing rate, stretching loan term to 68 months, and gas & oil savings (plus state rebate and federal tax credit) will make it a very reasonable monthly payment. I was prepared!

She hears me out and says, "I want the glass pano roof". I told her how I tried to keep the payment down, that's why I didn't pick any upgrades. She asked how much more the pano would cost a month. I told her $23. So she goes, "So what are we talking about here? Just get it."

Love my wife. :D

I built this whole case to present to my wife on how it makes sense to buy a MS, applying to her financial reasoning (we're not exactly rolling in money over here) - explaining how keeping it to just the base 60 (plus color upgrade), getting a good trade in offer, a low financing rate, stretching loan term to 68 months, and gas & oil savings (plus state rebate and federal tax credit) will make it a very reasonable monthly payment. I was prepared!

She hears me out and says, "I want the glass pano roof". I told her how I tried to keep the payment down, that's why I didn't pick any upgrades. She asked how much more the pano would cost a month. I told her $23. So she goes, "So what are we talking about here? Just get it."

Love my wife. :D
Sounds familiar, when we were designing our MS I did not include the tech package and my wife says we need the tech package. She said that in the end, looking at the overall cost it is not a big deal.